Working for the Railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joey

Puritan Board Junior
A few months ago a customer,who I see very often and talk to,was telling me how great it is to work in the railroad.He said he loves it so much he quit a pretty good office job.I also have two uncles who retired and one who has been on for over 20 years.I talked to them about it a couple of weeks ago and told me I should strongly consider it.Any railroad workers out there?I am applying for conductor trainee position.It pays very well even the first year up to 40K.You go through 16 weeks of fully paid training.What do you think?

I am a railroad aficiando, but my appreciation for the railroad industry is tempered by the seven years I spent in class action litigation with the railroad industry over property rights issues, and other issues of which I became aware. There are lots of good folks in the industry too, and more Christians in the industry would be a good thing.

Apparently people are willing to work there 'all the live long day'. : )

Really I have known a couple of employees of the Santa Fe and they made good money and stayed with it...though the hours were sometimes at odds with the rest of the world.

Originally posted by Richard King
Apparently people are willing to work there 'all the live long day'. : )

Really I have known a couple of employees of the Santa Fe and they made good money and stayed with it...though the hours were sometimes at odds with the rest of the world.

Indeed. I have family who made a career of the railroad. Usually either up at 3 am, or getting home at 5 am, etc. Not knowing if he was going to have holidays off until the last minute, etc. He says it paid quite well, but quality of life suffered somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back