Would you agree with this idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenChosen

Puritan Board Freshman
I was walking to class today and thought of something and I wanted you guys to critique the thought as being sensible or not. Anyways...

"To ignore the pleasures of the world, for the Christian, is to ignore a flashlight in the middle of the day."

(the idea being that God provides for us in so many ways that the worldly pleasures are just about as useful as a flashlight in the day)

Thoughts?
 
I think it is almost laughable when walking around campus or in class, how ridiculous it is for people to be so concerned with material items, looking cool, etc.

But then again, its almost like I am taken back by it. Thinking, what in the world are these people doing. It takes so much conditioning to be brought to that low level.

So, for me, it is only being in the presense of the scoundrels that makes such ridiculous attitudes visible.
 
[quote:edb484b38d][i:edb484b38d]Originally posted by rembrandt[/i:edb484b38d]


So, for me, it is only being in the presense of the scoundrels that makes such ridiculous attitudes visible. [/quote:edb484b38d]

Reply...

A Bouncy welcoming the "scoundrels".

:welcome:



:bouncy::boldblue::lb::tm::blah1::blackbat::dunce:

:smash::sing::geezer::jumpb::broccoli::shocked3::chained:



[Edited on 4-22-2004 by Gregg]
 
[quote:9133d4cfea]
how ridiculous it is for people to be so concerned with material items, looking cool, etc.
[/quote:9133d4cfea]

Isn't that the truth? And people look so self-conscious when they are trying to be cool.

FrozenChosen,

(Interesting moniker, by the way) Are you asking if that is a logical statement? I'm not a theological giant (which many around here are), but I think that does work. What you are saying (I think) is that artificial light is weak and unnecessary when compared with the powerful and all encompassing light of the sun; which I translate to: worldly pleasures are enough "light" when you are in the darkness, but when you come into the True Light of God, they just seem silly and pointless. Am I close?

Mary
 
[quote:e3dabf77dd][i:e3dabf77dd]Originally posted by mjbee[/i:e3dabf77dd]
Mary, I think you nailed it most eloquently! [/quote:e3dabf77dd]

And I'm definitely inclined to agree. Obviously we don't always act like the sunlight means more to us than the flashlight, we're all distractable sinners!

But sometimes you realized just how bright and glorious God's grace is, and then the world's pleasures seem so insignificant.
 
[quote:9a10ba00bc][i:9a10ba00bc]Originally posted by FrozenChosen[/i:9a10ba00bc]
I was walking to class today and thought of something and I wanted you guys to critique the thought as being sensible or not. Anyways...

"To ignore the pleasures of the world, for the Christian, is to ignore a flashlight in the middle of the day."

(the idea being that God provides for us in so many ways that the worldly pleasures are just about as useful as a flashlight in the day)
[/quote:9a10ba00bc]

Perhaps a better way understand the concept is, this is how it [i:9a10ba00bc]should[/i:9a10ba00bc] be for us.

[Edited on 4-23-2004 by puritansailor]
 
I often ask myself if I've merely exchanged ane form of vanity for another. I don't mean that our faith is vain, but have I just traded in being cool and doing drugs for a vain satisfaction that I get when I am in church or make a theological eureka, all the while being unrelated to the truth I have been vainly associated with? Am I one of those "Unconverted religious zelots" the webmaster has written about?

How can one tell the difference between vain and God-wrought religiosity?
 
[quote:b560c61551]
Mary, I think you nailed it most eloquently!
[/quote:b560c61551]

YIPPEE!!!!!:smilegrin:
:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
 
Look at my avatar!!!! Notice the philosopher sitting next to the window in deep thought while the sunlight is coming through and invading his half of the room. Then look at the woman in the corner making her own pitiful light by hand.

Which is better? "6 Many are asking, 'Who can show us any good?' Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD" (ps. 4:6).

Ah.... how I love Rembrandt. See this site for a larger picture and some other paintings http://www.blesok.com.mk/gallery.asp?lang=eng&izdanie=22&avtor=759&mediaID=913

Rembrandt
 
[quote:06277c373f][i:06277c373f]Originally posted by Mary[/i:06277c373f]
[quote:06277c373f]
Mary, I think you nailed it most eloquently!
[/quote:06277c373f]

YIPPEE!!!!!:smilegrin:
:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy: [/quote:06277c373f]

Reply..

And a very good use of the Bouncies too.:bouncy:
 
[quote:15bf3e20b7]
And a very good use of the Bouncies too.:bouncy:
[/quote:15bf3e20b7]

Thanks! I learned from an expert!

;):bouncy::D:;):bouncy::smilegrin:

Mary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top