A Benevolence Fund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewenlin

Puritan Board Junior
After reading Ian (servantofGod)'s post in the prayer forums my heart went out to him. I would love to help out especially during this season when God has blessed me abundantly. I'm aware some churches have such benevolence funds set up and ran by elders to make sure that fellow members in the church are not going hungry while others have more than enough.

But here at the pb I'm sure we all feel a certain "belonging" and when a fellow pb'er is facing some problems we would love to help. I mean paypal could make international borders non existent in terms of monetary assistance.

What do the mods and admins think? I'm aware that money is always a sensitive issue but with some godly men and accountability checks in place I'm sure we can better glorify God by helping out our dear brothers (and sisters).

Often when a family suffers a catastrophe (such as a fire or major illness) a fund is set up at a local bank for the victims. If such a fund were set up, could the mailing address be announced here? Just a thought.

Benevolence ministries should come with accountability and proper screening. I'd strongly recommend that any benevolences be channeled through the diaconal ministries of local church of the one in need. They are the ones in the best position to evaluate need and the best way to help. And they are in the best position to put in proper controls to see that the funds are used in the best way possible.

Yep. We need to have someone in official Church office making sure these unruly PB members don't go out and buy tequila, beer, cigars, or assault weapons with any help they might receive. Guess that old idea of not letting your right hand know what your left is doing when giving alms was just a pre-close of canon kind of thing.

Have to say that is hogwash. Yes, Church officers should oversee the dispursal of Church funds, but not all Christian giving is commanded to be to the Church alone. I don't need to go through mine or Ian's deacons to help him. Show me scripture that even remotely infers that.

Like I said in another thread, we come up with all kinds of reasons to justify being scimpy with our giving. Done it myself. My favorite line was always, "I'd like to help, but I'm just not sure what the best way to do that is." Which is code for, "I ain't a gonna." If we're that blind to our brothers' plights, we need to repent and go find out. Of course, we think, well maybe a gift wouldn't be in his best interest. Maybe he needs this trial, or maybe he'll not use it in the wisest way. Just more reasons to not help our brothers. Let the Holy Spirit do His job, not you. But don't hide behind false concerns to avoid giving. Just be honest and say "I don't want to give right now." What God has blessed us with is ours to do with as we see fit. Christianity is not communism.

People on PB have offered to help me in the past, which has been of great refreshing to me - to see the love of Christ at work among the brethren. I haven't accepted it yet, because I've seen the Lord provide in other ways. But I'm sure glad those folks came directly to me so I could experience the comfort of knowing that love was there. Seeing it made me weep, and those tears were very sweet to me.

Okay it is not my intention to start this thread to debate this.. I've had my questions answered already, so appreciate if the mods can close this thread.

Cheers to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back