Affording Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It just doesn't seem like there's an enjoyable way to do it. It is a struggle either way. Then another big factor is missing out on precious time with the family.

I can tell you from first hand knowledge, that while there are some pastors who have large congregations, and are well paid, there are others who have small congregations and occasionally miss pay checks, whose pensions go unfunded because the money just isn't there. Definitely a labor of love and I've been humbled seeing the selfless dedication I've observed in some pastors.

Yeah. It just doesn't seem like there's an enjoyable way to do it. It is a struggle either way. Then another big factor is missing out on precious time with the family.
Again, not to beat a dead horse, but get used to it. The ministry constantly takes time away from family. If you and your family are not ready for that, then don't get in. I have not seen my extended family over the Christmas holidays in more than a decade because of commitments at church.

I am currently in a Reformed Baptist program called the "Timothy Pastoral Apprenticeship Program". Churches have Pastors volunteer their time to teach seminary classes. Tuition is free as well. They teach the languages and teach in a classroom like setting. Along with the education there is a practical element as well. The churches that have students in the program normally support their students with anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 a year while they are in the program. This is allowing me to work part time to complete the program. I'm a "student Pastor" at my local church which essentially means I'm looked at as an aspiring Pastor and I play a similar role to a part time associate Pastor but with less expectations. I've been at all of our elder meeting, I preach once a month, and I actively participate in the body and in ministry. 0 debt with the program. In fact, my church pays for my books which is helping me build a library.

In my opinion this is a far superior model to seminary. It is not accredited but there are so many smaller country churches that cannot afford to pay seminary students.

Who is going to be able to afford your $80,000 salary you will need whenever your sky high in seminary debt? Surely not a small country church. This means you will have to work full time on the side and those 40 to 60 people won't get the care they need.

Saying that you must attend the best possible seminary to follow God's call on your life is absurd. And saying you need to wait because God hasn't provided $200,000 is absurd as well.

Seminary is great for a lot of people but not practical for many. I know I'm in the minority here in the PB on this one, but I recommend praying hard, looking into many alternatives, working closely with your church and looking for your best option. Don't just assume your own calling in your life, make sure your church leadership fully affirms that calling. If you have full support behind you, your family is behind you, and you truly feel God is calling you to ministry, at that point I would work with leadership and very carefully pray over all your options.

It may very well be that a student loan and hard work will carry you through these next few years, but you may also find a cheaper or free seminary option may be a great option as well. Just as some have had terrific experiences with no regrets on their choices I have no regrets with mine. I will be prepared to Pastor and I will have no debt and will be able to Pastor on a low salary due to my low debt load to help smaller Churches.

Last edited:

You do well to think about your family in this. Too many ministers neglect their children or their wife for ministry. But there will be some busy seasons. May have to really get creative with date nights and also get creative to get involved in the lives of your children in such a busy season, it won't be easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back