Are You A Cessationist?

Concerning the cessation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit I consider myself...

• a definite Cessationist.

Votes: 64 66.7%
  • definitely NOT a Cessationist.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • undecided.

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • totally ingorant of the matter.

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leslie

It is common for die-hard cessationists in the states change to continuationists when and if they minister in such areas. Of course, they change back when visiting supporting churches.

I understand you mean by "cessationist" those who do not believe the I Cor 12 gifts continue after the canon of Scripture was completed, or who do not believe in a revelatory nature of these gifts in light of the completed canon. You are saying you have seen some who have had experiences out in destitute areas, and through them come to change their beliefs. The changed beliefs cause toleration, even promotion of extra-biblical authoritative revelation. This is based on the fact they saw or experienced something they believe to be "real."

Understand the difficulties here. First, is our doctrine grounded on the authority of Scripture or on experience, or both? If both, which has greater authority? How do we then evaluate a contradictory experience?

This underscores one of the key tenants of reformed theology-
the unity of the church must be grounded in doctrinal agreement. That's why confessional standards (such as the 3 forms of unity or the Westminster Standards) are so useful- they bind the particular church together for accountability and provide a basis for unity. Doctrine does not ebb and flow based on the personality, teaching or (destitute region) "experiences" of one leader.

It's problematic, as you mention
they change back when visiting supporting churches.
Reformed theology also sees officers (e.g. Ministers, Elders and Deacons) as appointed by God and bound to sincerely believe the doctrinal summaries (or be very carefully granted minimalist "exception"). Often, officers are bound by oath to come forward and inform if their views substantially change, to make that known. These are sealed by vow, before God with witnesses. Changing back-and-forth on doctrine like this is not acceptable. It violates the Ninth Commandment, the nature of vows, etc.

I have no doubt this is why many outside of reformed theology have no desire to be bound by the Scriptural qualifications for office (exemplary life, doctrinal belief, and giftings) in the first place. Far less do they wish to be held accountable for their beliefs or behavior by confessional standards, or vow.

Men may not take their promises (vows) seriously but we have every reason to believe, from Scripture, God takes them very seriously, especially for those who would presume to lead God's people.

I am not permitted to respond to Scott's post per Board rules. There are charistmatic-reformed sites on the internet where the points raised are taken up in a rational, Biblical manner by those more qualified than I.

I voted "undecided." I'm definitely leaning toward a cessationist perspective, but I haven't studied the issue sufficiently to label myself.

I have heard things like Mary is probably talking about from reformed missionaries, so I hate to put God in a box. I think the charismatic church in our part of the world is a mess and do not believe in that at all. I read the book Charismatic Chaos long ago. But I am open to the possibility that God may use signs or miracles in unreached parts of the world. I guess I'd have to label myself as a cautious cessationist who believes God still does miracles as He desires.

And I totally agree with those who said you don't go to charismatics with the issue of cessationism!!! It is far more important that they come to an understanding of the doctrines of grace first. And of course, there are reformed denominations such as the one C. J. Mahaney is associated with that are not cessationist but still reformed (correction: Calvinist might be more accurate than reformed).

Last edited:
Grace Alone
And I totally agree with those who said you don't go to charismatics with the issue of cessationism!!! It is far more important that they come to an understanding of the doctrines of grace first. And of course, there are reformed denominations such as the one C. J. Mahaney is associated with that are not cessationist but still reformed.

I have thought the same thing. Reformed theology is, at a minimum

doctrines of grace "five points" + covenantal + confession

There's a whole lot of biblical ground to cover before one even gets to "cessationism" and exactly what we mean by that.

As for the individual you mention, we might want to say the individual you mention is "Calvinist" and appears now, after many years of trending toward that, that he is now solid in that. But he is not clearly covenantal, and not bound or accountable by a confession in his denomination so neither he or his denomination is reformed... at least not yet.

There's a lot of definition quagmire surrounding the word cessationist. In the drift of "has any gift ceased?" I would say yes. There are no more Apostles who had authority to write scripture as a first hand witness. The learned men that accompanied them and wrote for them some would use to argue with me, but you catch my drift.... the first generation witnesses are gone period. That would put me in the cessationist camp. People who go around claiming to be prophets with a "thus saith the LORD" authority tacked on their claims turn out bogus on one point when you test them, that makes them false prophets. Does God still miraculously heal? Yes, but not because I prayed over the blue hankey and put it under your pillow. There's a lot of garbage floating around trying to discredit our Lord and get people to worship a self proclaimed "anointed leader", but HE will do as HE sovereignly wants to show HIS glory. I hope the next thing I see is the return of Jesus to set everything straight....including me.:2cents:

Can anyone here suggest a good book on the cessation of the Spiritual gifts that might be convincing to my family?

If they are not reformed then their belief in the continuation of certain spiritual gifts is the least of their troubles. Coming from a Pentecostal background, I would not assault their continuationist beliefs head on. Especially with books like Charismatic Chaos, which will only add to their confusion and distrust of anyone who is not charismatic.

You should probably try to convince them of the Doctrines of grace first. These doctrines are much easier to support with Scripture. Once they become Calvinists began to introduce them to more reformed theology. When they are thoroughly convinced of the truth, and see how much they have been in error, then they should be more inclined to abandon charasmaticism.

After I discovered reformed theology I simply looked at the heretical beliefs of the people who started the movement on Azusa Street. God would never confirm their flawed doctrine with a sign or wonder. If anything spiritual happened it was Satan promoting his own gospel.

The Charismatic/Pentecostal movement deceives unregenerates into thinking they have salvation, and prevents believers from maturing in Christ. It is a dead tradition, a web if deceit. I would definitely address the Doctrines of Grace first. You may even want to give them RC Sproul’s book, “Knowing Scripture”. Ensuring that they know how to interpret Scripture will make your job much easier.

Even if they never change their views on the continuation of certain gifts, reformed continuationists are imuch better off than their Arminian counter parts, just look at Piper. Gifts are only a small part of a much larger tradition.

I appreciate what you're saying but I've been trying to get them to see the Doctrines of Grace for years. :(

I am definitely not a cessationist. I believe the gifts do continue, but recognize they are currently as often as not abused and/or counterfitted.

Anyone seriously studying the issue should read Grudem's book The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today. You may not agree with him, but he does present a good case.

Unfortunately, in most of the written arguments I have read on this subject the authors' presuppositions can be clearly seen, so I recommend you make an effort to read works by those holding to both positions.

Yes I am a Cessasionist , it took time , largely my position remained a strong cessationist because of reading Victor Budgeon's "Charismatics and the Word Of God " ... I have dozens of works on the subject , this is the best (in my opinion)

This may not be entirely relevant to the question, but nonetheless I think I want to post it; perhaps would get some feedback from others,who knows.

I find one thing hard about being a cessationist is the "No!" you have to answer to countless stories, including those of people who are otherwise considered trustworthy and are clearly close to you and good, Godly people (or at least it seems). I have heard a number of stories of people (for example) speaking in tongues on their own praying in the privacy of their own home, so the sociological/psychological explanation of it being group conformity or the effects of fatigue simply don't work. And I should find it hard to think that my parents and grandparents are demon-possessed. It is a difficult position to hold to coming from that background. I have never spoken in tongues or been "baptized by the Holy Spirit" or seen miracles, so perhaps it is easier for me that way. Yet I lean towards cessationism!

so over 18% of those who voted are Continuationist and almost 30% potentially could be when you include the Undecided.

Does that surprise anybody? :gpl:

so over 18% of those who voted are Continuationist and almost 30% potentially could be when you include the Undecided.

Does that surprise anybody? :gpl:

Not really since no particular definition has been given. There are way too many nuances involved for a poll.

I'm not certain either. I've not seen any that I would call legit.

Certainly there are vast and extreme excesses being practiced today, but to state, in absolute terms, that gifts have ceased is going further than I care to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back