Beginning a cleansing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffR

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm glad to announce, not to gain praise for myself, but for praise to God, that i'm beginning to get rid of all my unclean movies and books i've over the years collected.

In 2005 i became a cinephile, and a lot of them were, as most secular entertainment is, dishonoring to God. I was really into it all, but i won't get into it here, since as of around joining here i've gotten more serious about my Christian faith.

The right thing would be to destroy them, so that no one else would be defiled by them, but working along with dad, we are giving them to Goodwill, unless God further convicts me and him on this matter.

Going through the collection will take time, there are thousands of them, as i've so far gone through them i've set aside the "ok" ones along with certain "auteur" films, and those which are non-North American, because usually Canadians don't have region free players, indeed hardly anyone would get physical media, because you can stream most anything nowadays.

A few months ago, i had my brother sell some of my most prized box sets, like the Criterion mega set for Ingmar Bergman, i had devoted myself at the time to simply reading, that is how my old man mind made that decision. And shortly after i thought i had made a purge, and would then buy those sold ones again.

This is all just to let you all know what sort of person i was and am recovering from. Film can be an art, but when it contains making a mockery of God and Jesus, it doesn't deserve to be watched or read. (Note to myself) -- even though it's a European release i should destroy or throw into the garbage the HBO program The Sopranos, oh the filthy language!! Almost every sentence is swearing. I won't say it wasn't expert storytelling, but that is beside the point.

So i'm feeling good about this small step, where i recognize something, and do something about it. I don't think i'll have any time to watch even anything that is ok!! There is just too many excellent teaching resources online. The benefits keep coming on a earthly minded realm too, space, freeing up space for when i get good books that aren't available for my kindle paperwhite, items which for example on Amazon says Print Replica, those can't be downloaded on any device i have.

Perhaps someone here has some movies, books or whatever that you feel bad about owning, may God give you the wisdom on how to deal with it. Now, there could be worthy reasons, for example i remember a family member who was a Pastor, and he allowed me into his study, and there i saw a bunch of books by L Ron Hubbard, the Scientology guy, i asked him why? And he just simply said he wants to understand different faiths, and that can be one of the, if only good reason to have such possessions.

An email from Criterion reminding me of new added films on the Channel, my old card is going to expire in 6 days, out of curiosity i go to see what was added, and they have a collection of Jean Eustache films, a director i had for so long wished to see more films by, his major film which i won't name here as it's got an offensive word in the english translated title, made a big impact, speaking as an old cinephile, i feel i have to explain why it made an impact, and i might refresh my memory of what exactly made an impact. The film was made in 1973, and depicts a pseudo-intellectual who sleeps around, and the lady he cheats with, a woman of the night you could say, gives a chilling monologue on the vacuity of a life of pleasure, worldly pleasure centred life, of the free love generation of the hippies, a volcanic eruption of dissatisfaction, THAT is what moved me, there is something good there, a severe critique of hedonism, (not the John Piper Christian Hedonism btw), it sent shivers down my spine.

As i make the decision to remove all ungodly movies and books from our home, the trial of it, will be the memory of such riveting moments, where in cinematic language something powerful happens. Now this power is worldly, but God can use worldly things for His purposes. This is a potential reason to hang onto some of the auteur films mentioned above, where despite their inherent worldliness, something powerful happens in them.

Ultimately though, i don't need the film world to give me powerful moments, they played a part in my life, but all of that has come and gone, God maybe meant for me to learn some lessons from fallen means, as God is sovereign over everything, but this is no excuse to enshrine them, indeed, it's a form of idolatry to regard them more than at best teaching vessels.

Ok, so i refreshed my memory of that monologue, and it wasn't as impressive as i remembered it, so that's a good sign, it's basically how the woman of the night is weeping, and looking forward to a time when a man will love her and have a child with him, with whom there is a shared love. Spectacular that such honesty can be in a secular film, but wholly unremarkable for me who's recently been sitting under some amazing bible teachers. Goodbye arthouse cinema, hello sanctification!!

Last edited:
Congratulations, you have taken a big step in the right direction. I too had to go through my collection of books, CD's, movies and winnow them out. It has taken me years to go through all my stuff, so don't worry if it takes awhile.

I'm glad to announce, not to gain praise for myself, but for praise to God, that i'm beginning to get rid of all my unclean movies and books i've over the years collected.

In 2005 i became a cinephile, and a lot of them were, as most secular entertainment is, dishonoring to God. I was really into it all, but i won't get into it here, since as of around joining here i've gotten more serious about my Christian faith.

The right thing would be to destroy them, so that no one else would be defiled by them, but working along with dad, we are giving them to Goodwill, unless God further convicts me and him on this matter.

Going through the collection will take time, there are thousands of them, as i've so far gone through them i've set aside the "ok" ones along with certain "auteur" films, and those which are non-North American, because usually Canadians don't have region free players, indeed hardly anyone would get physical media, because you can stream most anything nowadays.

A few months ago, i had my brother sell some of my most prized box sets, like the Criterion mega set for Ingmar Bergman, i had devoted myself at the time to simply reading, that is how my old man mind made that decision. And shortly after i thought i had made a purge, and would then buy those sold ones again.

This is all just to let you all know what sort of person i was and am recovering from. Film can be an art, but when it contains making a mockery of God and Jesus, it doesn't deserve to be watched or read. (Note to myself) -- even though it's a European release i should destroy or throw into the garbage the HBO program The Sopranos, oh the filthy language!! Almost every sentence is swearing. I won't say it wasn't expert storytelling, but that is beside the point.

So i'm feeling good about this small step, where i recognize something, and do something about it. I don't think i'll have any time to watch even anything that is ok!! There is just too many excellent teaching resources online. The benefits keep coming on a earthly minded realm too, space, freeing up space for when i get good books that aren't available for my kindle paperwhite, items which for example on Amazon says Print Replica, those can't be downloaded on any device i have.

Perhaps someone here has some movies, books or whatever that you feel bad about owning, may God give you the wisdom on how to deal with it. Now, there could be worthy reasons, for example i remember a family member who was a Pastor, and he allowed me into his study, and there i saw a bunch of books by L Ron Hubbard, the Scientology guy, i asked him why? And he just simply said he wants to understand different faiths, and that can be one of the, if only good reason to have such possessions.

An email from Criterion reminding me of new added films on the Channel, my old card is going to expire in 6 days, out of curiosity i go to see what was added, and they have a collection of Jean Eustache films, a director i had for so long wished to see more films by, his major film which i won't name here as it's got an offensive word in the english translated title, made a big impact, speaking as an old cinephile, i feel i have to explain why it made an impact, and i might refresh my memory of what exactly made an impact. The film was made in 1973, and depicts a pseudo-intellectual who sleeps around, and the lady he cheats with, a woman of the night you could say, gives a chilling monologue on the vacuity of a life of pleasure, worldly pleasure centred life, of the free love generation of the hippies, a volcanic eruption of dissatisfaction, THAT is what moved me, there is something good there, a severe critique of hedonism, (not the John Piper Christian Hedonism btw), it sent shivers down my spine.

As i make the decision to remove all ungodly movies and books from our home, the trial of it, will be the memory of such riveting moments, where in cinematic language something powerful happens. Now this power is worldly, but God can use worldly things for His purposes. This is a potential reason to hang onto some of the auteur films mentioned above, where despite their inherent worldliness, something powerful happens in them.

Ultimately though, i don't need the film world to give me powerful moments, they played a part in my life, but all of that has come and gone, God maybe meant for me to learn some lessons from fallen means, as God is sovereign over everything, but this is no excuse to enshrine them, indeed, it's a form of idolatry to regard them more than at best teaching vessels.

Ok, so i refreshed my memory of that monologue, and it wasn't as impressive as i remembered it, so that's a good sign, it's basically how the woman of the night is weeping, and looking forward to a time when a man will love her and have a child with him, with whom there is a shared love. Spectacular that such honesty can be in a secular film, but wholly unremarkable for me who's recently been sitting under some amazing bible teachers. Goodbye arthouse cinema, hello sanctification!!
Brother, let me encourage you ask yourself how many of your movies you need to keep, rather than how many you may keep. Rather than trying to have as much of the things of this world as we can without sin, we ought to hold the world loosely, and travel light on our pilgrimage.

This is especially important when dealing with things that have been idols for you. See how many of your former idols you can get rid of, not how many of them you can maintain. If you take the latter approach, I guarantee that they will continue to be stumbling blocks to you.

Brother, let me encourage you ask yourself how many of your movies you need to keep, rather than how many you may keep. Rather than trying to have as much of the things of this world as we can without sin, we ought to hold the world loosely, and travel light on our pilgrimage.

This is especially important when dealing with things that have been idols for you. See how many of your former idols you can get rid of, not how many of them you can maintain. If you take the latter approach, I guarantee that they will continue to be stumbling blocks to you.
Thank you, that is godly counsel, and i thank you for that.

Congratulations, you have taken a big step in the right direction. I too had to go through my collection of books, CD's, movies and winnow them out. It has taken me years to go through all my stuff, so don't worry if it takes awhile.
Thanks!! Since publishing this, i'm starting to think what will both be easiest and best would be to fill up large garbage bags of them and bring them out to the bin! If done in a concentrated concerted and methodical way, it would all be done by the end of this year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back