Behavior during Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenChosen

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm wondering if there's a theological part of this, if there isn't, please move it to the appropriate forum moderators...

So should I respond (and if so, how) when I'm praying over a meal or something publicly and people keep saying stuff like "Yes, Lord, yes" or "Amen" over and over?

It's kind of distracting and rude, but I'm not sure how to deal with that...

haha....that is funny - I find it to be annoying at times simply because it seems ingenuine most of the time. However, sometimes I give a "Amen" when someone says something really great and I just want to agree...but I'm usually the only one who hears.

I realize then you have your people who like to say those things a lot b/c they might be a little on the charismatic side...or they just like to feel super spiritual...

In a college class I was in once we had a young man who was mentally handicapped and would constantly be saying "yes, yes amen" during everyone's prayers. That was quite distracting - but he had the mind of like an 8 year old...what do ya do...

anyhow, I'm no help...but I'm interested in hearing the responses!!!!

No one knows the heart of men except God; Let us take these 'amen's' as genuine. Daniel, try not to be distracted. My opinion, I always like to hear the hearty "amen" or "yes Lord's", it shows agreement between the brethren. There are times when I feel much too clammed up when we pray!

This is going to be no help, but I also am reminded of a mentally handicapped young fellow who used to run around and try to get everybody pumped up (like a football game!) during the worship service. This was at a Pentecostal church and no one did anything to stop him. It was quite interesting- he would run up in front of the stage and start dancing for everybody. And he said stuff like "Now thats an Amen" in really funny language. Interesting...

Rembrandt

Thanks for the responses. I believe these to be genuine Christians doing this, and I believe that their response is genuine. I suppose my problem is that I'm not used to it yet. They are generally charismatic, yes, and that's an issue but it doesn't bother prayer in public situations. That's something to address in private, and if we follow the old rule of no discussion of politics or religion at the table (which we never really avoid), certainly not at the table. Heh.:lol:

Most of my Family is charismatic and I get that all the time. Most of them are very genuine, although it sounds superficial, and yes it can be annoying I just don't let them bother me.

I think the people who do that are just trying to "join in" with your prayer and show that they too are in agreement with what you are saying, not just at the end of your prayer, but at every point along the way.

If I were you, I'd try to look at it as encouragement as I'm sure that's the spirit behind their "Yes, Lord"s.

If you find it distracting, try to see it differently. At least you know they're "with you" as you're praying and that they're actually paying attention and are being edified by your prayers. A lot of your "silent majority" could simply be daydreaming while you're praying or thinking about what they're going to do later.

I think its sweet! :D::D:D

Isn't the "amen" what John Owen called "approbation"....I heard someone say that once and thought it was neat but never could find that word defined....but then...I only looked for it in the writings...not the dictionary....

pardon the rambleyness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back