Can a christian befriend a homosexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a Christian befriend a male or female who practices illicit sex in their lifestyle?

Can they ? ? yes. Should they ? no.

Jesus told sexually promiscuous individuals to "sin no more".

Can Christians have any type of friendship whatsoever with unbelievers (read: sinners)? (This may be in or out of the workplace, etc.)

Originally posted by john_Mark
Can Christians have any type of friendship whatsoever with unbelievers (read: sinners)? (This may be in or out of the workplace, etc.)

I try to follow these guidelines from the New England Primer:

HAVE communion with few,
Be intimate with ONE,
Deal justly with all,
Speak evil of none.

John Mark:

I think it depends on how we define friendship.

St. Paul implies we would need to go out of the world if we did not associate with the ungodly in any sense. However, friendship involves trust, integrity, and mutual interest. What fellowship would you have with them ? ?

I have non-christians over for dinner, and often go out for coffee with them, with the agenda of discussing world-views. But I would not call them friends.

So do none of you have friends from before being a Christian?

I have many, but I don't to much with them nor do I have Christian fellowship with them. I trust them to a point and we can find mutual interests in sports, movies, politics, etc. and some of them would do whatever it took to help me if I were in a bind. Should I not consider them friends? I suppose it could depend on the definition.

Originally posted by john_Mark
So do none of you have friends from before being a Christian?
Not any longer, but this is more a function of how long I've been a Christian and just slowly losing touch during moves and whatnot.

I have many, but I don't to much with them nor do I have Christian fellowship with them. I trust them to a point and we can find mutual interests in sports, movies, politics, etc. and some of them would do whatever it took to help me if I were in a bind. Should I not consider them friends? I suppose it could depend on the definition.
I have a couple co-workers like this and I'd call them friends, but it's on a fairly superficial level compared to what I have brothers and sisters in Christ at church. I'm closer to them than I am to my own family (RCC) in many ways. I think people are perhaps defining "friend" in different ways. Perhaps we should qualify the word somewhat, or call these sorts of people "good acquantences" or something. But that would sound almost insulting to most people...

Can a christian befriend a homosexual?

Sure right up until the moment you tell them that the Creator of the universe says homosexuality is an abomination. Then they will drop you like a hot potato.

Truely, I have had three aquaintances who were homosexual in my life (so far as I know.) I hate generalizations but I will be guilty of one...based on this three man sample I noticed nothing matters more to them than their own will. They want what they want and if they don't get it, fits will be thrown.
So I can make this prediction. Really you don't have to be mean at all. You can protect them from bullies, listen to their feelings, be careful not to hurt their feelings but eventually a couple of things will happen...they will want you to meet some more of their crowd so you will see how nice they are, then they will want you to go to their clubs or take a stand for them publically and then when you refuse and tell them..."hey it ain't me that says this, it is GOD ALMIGHTY that says that lifestyle is an abomination" they will shed tears, curse you and be gone. It happens every time so far.

Originally posted by poimen

I really could care less if a guy cuddles a kitten because I was joking! As for myself I would never do it because I hate animals.

Daniel,

Have you ever tied two cats up by their tails and thrown them over a clothes line and watch 'em go at it?

Now that's some good ole southern entertainment.

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by govols]

I don't think I can be friends with a non-Christian. I think I might be able to be aquaintences.

What does it mean to be a friend. I don't think a Christian can be a friend to a non-Christian. And with a Christian who commits sin unrepentently, then let them be...well you know.

Originally posted by govols
Originally posted by poimen

I really could care less if a guy cuddles a kitten because I was joking! As for myself I would never do it because I hate animals.

Daniel,

Have you ever tied two cats up by their tails and thrown them over a clothes line and watch 'em go at it?

Now that's some good ole southern entertainment.

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by govols]

That is hilarious and awful at the same time!

I haven't actually accomplished the feat but have seen it done. They used velcro strips around the two tails with bungee cord connecting their tails and they even put mitts on their paws so they couldn't do damage to each other. They let them go at for less than a minute b/c they get so tired so quickly and they didn't get hurt.

I personally wouldn't do that but man it was something to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back