sailorswife;
I didn't really know how to cook meals when I got married (I had always enjoyed baking growing up but had never been taught to actually make a dinner). Most women today are not taught these basic skills in the home. I had to call my mom after I got married to ask her for recipes. That and "Better Home and Garden Cook Book" saved me. I still can't believe how clueless I was or why I didn't make the effort to learn when I was living at home. My son and daughter will definitely be learning these skills as they grow!
you know, when I was growing up, my mom didn't teach us to cook either, she worked outside the home, and our dad was in the Military and gone six months out of the year. My older sister took on the role of cooking when our mom was working late.
That being said, I did take cooking classes at school, and I could read a recipe book, so learning to cook wasn't a problem, just had to make sure I had what the recipe called for. And like yourself, I too called my mom on occasion to get some of her recipes, just as she called her mom or my dad's mom and did the same.
For the most part I haven't stood in the kitchen with my kids teaching them to cook either, and they too have taken cooking classes at school. I do allow them to go in and cook. My oldest daughter loves to experiment with various recipes, in other words she doesn't follow the 'directions', she likes to add different spices and use different types of meat to cook various things. And she's a really good cook.
All of my kids know how to clean the house, and do laundry, including my son, he also took a cooking class at school, as he may not find a wife as soon as he leaves home, and may live on his own for awhile before marriage and will need to know those skills as well, so it's not just women today who need to know these skills...men should know them as well..my son has an awesome example in his stepfather who helps with all of those things..around the home..
How many of you 'roosters', when you were boys stood watching and learning from your dad how to use a grill? Or power tools, hand tools? I learned those skills as child, as well as how to develop film, how to make jewelry, how to work with leather, how to garden, fire a weapon, care for chickens, how to pitch a tent, how to start a camp fire and various other skills some of which I use today, others I don't.