College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
My alma mater (North Carolina) is playing against Boston College in the biggest bowl of all -- the Continental Tire Bowl. Forget about the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl, Continental Tire is the big time!

What burns me up right now is how Auburn is going to probably be left out of the title game after beating GA, AL, UT (2x), LSU. While USC gets to skim through the PAC-10 sissy ball playing only Cal on the way to a #1 ranking.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
My alma mater (North Carolina) is playing against Boston College in the biggest bowl of all -- the Continental Tire Bowl. Forget about the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl, Continental Tire is the big time!

:lol:

Originally posted by twogunfighter
What burns me up right now is how Auburn is going to probably be left out of the title game after beating GA, AL, UT (2x), LSU. While USC gets to skim through the PAC-10 sissy ball playing only Cal on the way to a #1 ranking.

I agree. Auburn is the No. one team in the Nation in my opinion.:2cents:

Yeah...the BCS system (and the older bowl system) for determining a champion has proven year in and year out to be one big failure. Like last year -let's not hurt anyone's feelings, let's have two champions.

I don't understand why they can't just adjust the current system by simply adding a provisional 4 (or 2) team play-off whenever there is a dispute. It's not like they lack the money and -who are we kidding -it's not about student grades either.

If Auburn wouldn't have played girl schools for the deaf and blind for their non conference schedule then I would agree that Auburn should be #1.

AU managed to make it through the SEC without losing and that is qualitatively better than doing the same thing through the PAC 10. I would not have a prob if it was Big 10/Big 12 with SEC left out, but the PAC 10????? Cal would be 8-3 in the SEC and if USC had to play FLA, LSU, TN, and GA they would have 2 losses and a long list of injured. The only reason they took strength of schedule out is because the People's Republic of Kalifornia rules the media and they couldn't have their little darlings of pansified football left out because they haven't played anyone who beleives that football involves hitting someone.

Yes, I know a while ago I was saying that the SEC was a terrible conference, but I think it's considerably better than the Big 12 and at least marginally better than the Pac-10.

It is so much better than the Big 12, in fact that the difficulty of going undefeated in it outweighs any of Oklahoma's accomplishments in doing the same in that crummy league, non-conference creampuffs or not

So, to my mind, Auburn is getting shafted. I want to see Auburn play USC for the Championship. Only those two teams have a clear claim to being the best in the country.

But then, this is why we should have a playoff, because then no one could complain; Texas, Cal, Oklahoma and Utah should all have a legitimate shot at the title.

Michigan will play Texas in the Rose Bowl.

And, oddly enough, football arch-traditionalist that I am I am okay with that. In fact, I am really looking forward to it.

I honestly don't know who will win. I think Michigan is a lot better than their record, but Texas has a good team this year, and out of deference to family members in Texas, I have chosen the Longhorns as my "team B" (Besides which, my Dad always like them, teaching me to make that peculiar gesture with the fingers usually associated with heavy metal music and to holler "Hook 'em horns!")

Chuck,

Tell us how you really feel.

I'm just glad Tennessee made it look respectable.

They couldn't catch anything, cover anything and couldn't stop committing stupid penalties.

John,

Have you heard what the latest spread is on the Tenn., A&M game?

BTW, Gig'em Aggies!!!

(Tennessee is about to meet REGGIE "THE REAL DEAL" MCNEAL).

Haven't heard.

It will be an interesting game.

My prediction is that if Tennessee can:
- avoid stupid penalties
- avoid turning the ball over
- actually cover someone
- avoid dropping the ball
- actually block people
- actually tackle someone

Then, and only then, do I believe that Tennessee has a chance. Unless, of course, the Aggies to more of the list above.

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by govols]

:banana::banana:

Currently that PAC-10 powerhouse CAL is getting smacked around by the third best team in Texas.

I hope OU ANNIHILATES USC. Schwarzenegger needs both the flagships from his effimination DESTROYED!!!

Have you guys seen the recruits Penn State has been signing?

WOW!

They are all saying they want to help Joepa win one more National title before he retires!

I am pretty excited about the possibilities!

They are all saying they want to help Joepa win one more National title before he retires!

And I figured they all would be saying that they want to top out at 6-5 with a Boise Bowl berth. As painful as it is to admit it, JoePa's system belongs to a previous era. Now you have to let them play with their dreds hanging out of their helmets to get good players. Perhaps if he were to adopt the Jim Tressel method of "Purpose Driven Football" JoePa would be able to recruit the level of personnel that the Nittany Lions need.

Iowa's win over LSU was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in College football and one of the best bowl games I've ever seen period!

I have to agree. What an ending. I didn't have a favorite but started rooting for LSU. I really enjoyed the great comeback by LSU. My sister is working at Iowa's Hospital right now so she called all excited. Great game. Go Big Ten...I mean 11... maybe? Who is Penn? Is that short for Penny? You know we all have to let the girls play now. PC.

Randy

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by puritancovenanter]

Originally posted by wsw201
John,

Have you heard what the latest spread is on the Tenn., A&M game?

BTW, Gig'em Aggies!!!

(Tennessee is about to meet REGGIE "THE REAL DEAL" MCNEAL).

Was he on the field? Someone got the RAW DEAL, could it have been him? :D

Next year should be better for UT. Our defense won't be mostly Freshmen and Sophomores.

Vince Young is a remarkable young football player.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back