Communion, how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo Christo

Puritan Board Freshman
Didn't find this topic in a search, so I thought I'd ask. How often does your church observe communion? We celebrate on the first Sunday of every month, but I wish it was held every Lord's day.
 
We celebrate the Lord's Supper monthly. I am not very dogmatic about it in either direction, but I personally have grown to appreciate our practice of monthly celebration.
 
weekly after the sermon - it gives us an opportunity to be examined by the Spirit in light of the Word just preached and to celebrate the sacrifice of Christ for our sin.

Phillip
 
Tri-monthly, as it is in many (Dutch) Reformed churches. As a pastor however, I desire it for my flock at least once a month if not every week.
 
I belong to ECF... Evangelical Church of Fairport which does do what you all call communion once a month. I personally only see scripture for it at passover, which is when Christ himself ate! :)
 
Following Christ's command the NT church partook very frequently, not just yearly. To believe we can only partake at Passover is to bind the substance of the New Covenant by the shadows of the Old. Christ fulfilled the Passover feast by giving us the Supper. And Paul writing under inspiration of the Spirit tells the church at Corinth that they are expected to partake whenever they come together.

Consider:

Acts 2
42And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

1 Corinthians 11
20Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper. 21For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

Just my :2cents: from Scripture.

Phillip
 
Originally posted by pastorway
weekly after the sermon - it gives us an opportunity to be examined by the Spirit in light of the Word just preached and to celebrate the sacrifice of Christ for our sin.

Phillip

This is what we do as well.
 
Originally posted by Loriann
I belong to ECF... Evangelical Church of Fairport which does do what you all call communion once a month. I personally only see scripture for it at passover, which is when Christ himself ate! :)
Christ gave us the Lord's Supper as part of the New Covenant, which completed and fulfilled the Old. He asked us to observe it in remembrance of him. Why would you only partake on the anniversary of the liberation of the Hebrew people from Egyptian captivity?
 
We observe the Lord ´s Supper weekly each Lord's Day in the morning service. This is the frequent observance set by our church session in accordance with the Westminster Directory for Public Worship (which the church holds as a secondary doctrinal standard) which leaves that circumstantial determination in the local church elders' hands.
The Westminster Standards and the Frequency of the Lord's Supper.
http://www.fpcr.org/blue_banner_articles/Frequency_of_Communion.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top