ctlibrary subscription & First Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddy

Puritan Board Senior
http://www.ctlibrary.com/


Anybody have this or think it worthwhile? They have a 2 for 1 deal to get one of these in print description and access to the library of articles.

I don't care much of CT but I do like Christian History & Biography.

Just wandering if anyone else has ever subscribed to this.

Also

Anybody familiar with First Things?

http://www.firstthings.com/
 
http://www.ctlibrary.com/


Anybody have this or think it worthwhile? They have a 2 for 1 deal to get one of these in print description and access to the library of articles.

I don't care much of CT but I do like Christian History & Biography.

Just wandering if anyone else has ever subscribed to this.

Also

Anybody familiar with First Things?

http://www.firstthings.com/

First things is okay in some ways - it doesn't flinch in calling a spade a spade, but it's VERY Roman Catholic. It's funny that you bring this up, because an Evangelical-gone-Roman friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me that FT is NOT in any sense a Catholic journal... apparently he doesn't read it very carefully.
 
Interesting.

Reason I ask about it is that the Pastor at the Presbyterian Church where I am now attending states in his newsletter that he likes to read First Things.

What is included in the CTLibrary:

http://www.ctlibrary.com/help/faq-content.html


First things is okay in some ways - it doesn't flinch in calling a spade a spade, but it's VERY Roman Catholic. It's funny that you bring this up, because an Evangelical-gone-Roman friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me that FT is NOT in any sense a Catholic journal... apparently he doesn't read it very carefully.
 
Interesting.

Reason I ask about it is that the Pastor at the Presbyterian Church where I am now attending states in his newsletter that he likes to read First Things.

What is included in the CTLibrary:

http://www.ctlibrary.com/help/faq-content.html

Well, I've read it, and like some of what I've seen - but it needs to be read with the understanding that it is (in the main) Roman Catholic in its foundations and presumptions.
 
Interesting.

Reason I ask about it is that the Pastor at the Presbyterian Church where I am now attending states in his newsletter that he likes to read First Things.

What is included in the CTLibrary:

http://www.ctlibrary.com/help/faq-content.html

I don't find a lot in that library that would interest me - Books and Culture is very world-enculturated from what I read in it, and I have just about zero use for the tripe that is found in CT. If I were you I'd spend my money on more edifying material (Confessional Presbyterian, New Horizons, Ordained Servant, Banner of Truth, etc.).
 
Yes. CT does NOT interest me at all. Christian History I like however. I'll look into the others you've mentioned. :up:

I don't find a lot in that library that would interest me - Books and Culture is very world-enculturated from what I read in it, and I have just about zero use for the tripe that is found in CT. If I were you I'd spend my money on more edifying material (Confessional Presbyterian, New Horizons, Ordained Servant, Banner of Truth, etc.).
 
First Things had some good articles on myth, Lord of the Rings, and narrative, but mainly it is just Roman Catholic Natural Law theory. Their desire to be salt and light in culture is admirable, but it strikes me sometimes as going to a gunfight armed with bowie knives.
 
Steven, Todd and Jacob are both correct. FT is worthwhile. It gives a conservative RC view on cultural issues. That is both it strenght and its weakness.

BTW glad to see you are at Covenant Pres:up:. Who is the pastor there now? If you care to visit, Brainerd Hills is just down the street & Rev Roop is an excellent pastor/preacher.
 
I love First Things it does have an RC slant, but it has great articles and book reviews. My real favorite is Touchstone.
 
Ola Kevin

J.Render Caines is Pastor and has been for a number of years. They Just completed their New Building and it is absolutely beautiful !

http://www.covenantchattanooga.org/photos/Sanctuary/default.htm

We have only been visiting for 3 weeks now. I have been a deacon at an SBC church for the past 6 years, but think this is where I and my family need to be.

Thank you for your gracious invite, however. We have been in the visitor's class with the pastor these past few weeks and are truly loving the worship services and the Sunday School. I like that the Worship service is first and the Sunday School comes afterwards!


Steven, Todd and Jacob are both correct. FT is worthwhile. It gives a conservative RC view on cultural issues. That is both it strenght and its weakness.

BTW glad to see you are at Covenant Pres:up:. Who is the pastor there now? If you care to visit, Brainerd Hills is just down the street & Rev Roop is an excellent pastor/preacher.
 
Rev Caines was at Cov. when we lived in the area. My wife and I visited a few times before joining First Pres Ft O. (it was closer to home) I always admired him and enjoyed his preaching. I think you will be blessed there.

BTW I didn't mean to suggest that Brainerd Hills was "better" it is only that I know a lot more people there.

Pax.
 
Understood. Thanks Kevin

Where you at now? I live in Ringgold, went to school in F.O.

Your talking about the Preb Church right next to the Post and Barnhardt Circle right?

I still remember when I was in H.S. when had one of those classes where we did a "dry run" through a fake wedding and we used this church, which I don't think was Presbyterian at the time ( but I could be wrong ). The Building itself probably has some interesting history to it! ;)

http://www.fpfo.org/



http://www.gatewaytogeorgia.com/catoosa/ftogle.php



Rev Caines was at Cov. when we lived in the area. My wife and I visited a few times before joining First Pres Ft O. (it was closer to home) I always admired him and enjoyed his preaching. I think you will be blessed there.

BTW I didn't mean to suggest that Brainerd Hills was "better" it is only that I know a lot more people there.

Pax.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top