Status
Not open for further replies.

totorodaisuki

Puritan Board Freshman
I wonder if there are any Puritan books on demonology and witchcraft and how to combat Satan's devices, resist demonic forces, exorcise a demon from a nonbeliever, etc. ?

Many Puritan treatments, especially in New England, might be tainted by association with the Mathers (though I think Cotton wanted better evidence). Many of them drew from the Malleus Maleficarum, which is problematic.

The best take on dealng with these issues is to work through some of the tougher literature.

Satan Cast Out , as already mentioned, is pretty good. It's dated in many regards and doesn't deal with some lexical points, but it is a good start. I've tried to point the reader to good literature elsewhere.

A modern Puritan, Joel Beeke, wrote Fighting Satan. Puritan Publications has published Demonology and Theology, by Nathaniel Holmes. There is also Biblical Demonology by Merrill F. Unger. An interesting take on the whole UFO phenomena is Alien Intrusion, by Gary Bates. I have read parts of it and find it fascinating.

I remember Timothy Rogers recommending this book in his book on melancholy. It is Dr. Gilpin's Daemonologia Sacra: or, A Treatise of Satan's Temptations. I haven't read it but it looks quite extensive.
Edit: it looks like you can download it for free here.

Last edited:
I haven't read it all but Precious Remedies is excellent and I would recommend it for any believer. I have read a bit here and there in Gilpin's Demonology and it seemed sound but I haven't read enough to fully recommend yet. Several of the above are on my shelf and been lightly perused. Not sure if I trust Clinton Arnold yet...

In "3 Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare," his last chapter on engaging territorial spirits, he goes into Strategic-Level Spiritual Warfare and deliverance ministry. I only read part of the section and then his summary where he thinks "spiritual mapping" is legitimate. Again, I haven't read his entire argument so I don't know whether I can agree with his summary points or not. I do appreciate that he goes to Scripture and tries to sort out what is biblically legitimate or not.

Not having read his entire argument and analysis, I don't know whether or not I trust him yet so I don't mean that to be a thumbs up or thumbs down at this point.

In "3 Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare," his last chapter on engaging territorial spirits, he goes into Strategic-Level Spiritual Warfare and deliverance ministry. I only read part of the section and then his summary where he thinks "spiritual mapping" is legitimate. Again, I haven't read his entire argument so I don't know whether I can agree with his summary points or not. I do appreciate that he goes to Scripture and tries to sort out what is biblically legitimate or not.

Not having read his entire argument and analysis, I don't know whether or not I trust him yet so I don't mean that to be a thumbs up or thumbs down at this point.

When I read that chapter he specifically rejected spiritual mapping. He pointed to Paul's ministry in Ephesus where Paul did everything except Strategic Level warfare. He didn't confront the principality of the city (Diana).

Here's a quote from the summary at the end of the chapter:

"Spiritual mapping," or, as I would prefer to call it, creating a "spiritual profile" of people in a city or country, is a useful way to help the people of God pray more specifically. It is also beneficial for informing the teaching and discipling of new believers." - Arnold, Three Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare, 198.

Judging by his words, he may be modifiing what others are doing with spiritual mapping. In the other points in the summary, he seems to reject a direct engagement of territorial spirits and some of the other practices found in the Strategic-Level Spiritual Warfare system. But I would need to take some time to do some more reading to understand him better.

Here's a quote from the summary at the end of the chapter:

"Spiritual mapping," or, as I would prefer to call it, creating a "spiritual profile" of people in a city or country, is a useful way to help the people of God pray more specifically. It is also beneficial for informing the teaching and discipling of new believers." - Arnold, Three Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare, 198.

Judging by his words, he may be modifiing what others are doing with spiritual mapping. In the other points in the summary, he seems to reject a direct engagement of territorial spirits and some of the other practices found in the Strategic-Level Spiritual Warfare system. But I would need to take some time to do some more reading to understand him better.

If all he means by spiritual mapping is getting a profile for information, that's one thing. I don't see him using, as perhaps some charismatics do, this information to manipulate demons in deliverance.

I wonder if there are any Puritan books on demonology and witchcraft and how to combat Satan's devices, resist demonic forces, exorcise a demon from a nonbeliever, etc. ?

Well not exactly on your question, but here's the work I'm about a third of the way through that it's been very helpful to me. I got it on logos.

or,
A TREATISE ON
The Saints’ War with the Devil:
wherein a discovery is made of the policy, power, wickedness, and stratagems, made use of by that
ENEMY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE
A MAGAZINE OPENED,
from whence
the christian is furnished with spiritual arms for the battle, assisted in buckling on his armour, and taught the use of his weapons;
together with
THE HAPPY ISSUE OF THE WHOLE WAR
by
WILLIAM GURNALL, A.M.,
formerly of lavenham, suffolk
carefully revised and corrected by the
REV. JOHN CAMPBELL, D.D.​

I remember Timothy Rogers recommending this book in his book on melancholy. It is Dr. Gilpin's Daemonologia Sacra: or, A Treatise of Satan's Temptations. I haven't read it but it looks quite extensive.
Edit: it looks like you can download it for free here.
Awesome! Thanks!

Well not exactly on your question, but here's the work I'm about a third of the way through that it's been very helpful to me. I got it on logos.

or,
A TREATISE ON
The Saints’ War with the Devil:
wherein a discovery is made of the policy, power, wickedness, and stratagems, made use of by that
ENEMY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE
A MAGAZINE OPENED,
from whence
the christian is furnished with spiritual arms for the battle, assisted in buckling on his armour, and taught the use of his weapons;
together with
THE HAPPY ISSUE OF THE WHOLE WAR
by
WILLIAM GURNALL, A.M.,
formerly of lavenham, suffolk
carefully revised and corrected by the
REV. JOHN CAMPBELL, D.D.​
Thanks. Love Logos! I have the Reformed Silver package.

A modern Puritan, Joel Beeke, wrote Fighting Satan. Puritan Publications has published Demonology and Theology, by Nathaniel Holmes. There is also Biblical Demonology by Merrill F. Unger. An interesting take on the whole UFO phenomena is Alien Intrusion, by Gary Bates. I have read parts of it and find it fascinating.
Thanks kindly!

I saw this thread and Perkins being mentioned so I switched our monthly e-book giveaway to volume 9 of William Perkins's works, which includes his treatise A Discourse of the Damned Art of Witchcraft and A Resolution to the Country Man on Prognostication.

It was originally going to be volume 1. Volume 9 contains more of his practical treatises and a powerful work on Christ.

You can sign up to download it for free here: RHB's Monthly E-book Giveaway

I ask that you please do not share the page where the files are being hosted. if you want to share, please share the signup page. It is a tremendous help to RHB. Thanks and enjoy!

I saw this thread and Perkins being mentioned so I switched our monthly e-book giveaway to volume 9 of William Perkins's works, which includes his treatise A Discourse of the Damned Art of Witchcraft and A Resolution to the Country Man on Prognostication.

It was originally going to be volume 1. Volume 9 contains more of his practical treatises and a powerful work on Christ.

You can sign up to download it for free here: RHB's Monthly E-book Giveaway

I ask that you please do not share the page where the files are being hosted. if you want to share, please share the signup page. It is a tremendous help to RHB. Thanks and enjoy!
Wow! Much thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back