Do Pastors Have To Have A College Education?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would vote 'no' if this were a poll. The only requirements to be imposed on pastors should be biblical ones.

Since the original post was about education in the third world, I will keep my observations limited to that point. A very fine Reformed ministry, Third Millennium Ministries is doing their part to meet the need (Third Millennium Ministries). "Third Millennium Ministries' mission is to equip church leaders in their own lands by creating a multimedia seminary curriculum in five major languages in fifteen years". I think that they are worthy of our support.

Third Millennium Ministries (IIIM) is an Evangelical Christian parachurch ministry (read our statement of faith). We are a non-profit corporation recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization.

Our goal is to provide Christian education to hundreds of thousands of pastors around the world who lack sufficient training for ministry. We are meeting this goal by publishing and globally distributing a free multilingual, multimedia, digital seminary curriculum in English, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Russian and Spanish. The curriculum is designed to be used in support of existing schools, as well as by groups and individuals. It consists of three central elements: graphic-driven videos, printed instruction and internet resources.

In order to accomplish our production goals, we have developed a highly cost-effective method of producing high-quality multimedia video lessons. We strive to maintain quality not only in production, but also in content. All our instructors are seminary professors, and our writers and editors are theologically trained educators. All our translators are theologically astute native speakers of their target languages.

In order to accomplish our distribution goals, we have forged strategic relations with many different churches, denominations, agencies, missionaries, seminaries, Bible schools and other groups. These relations have already resulted in the distribution of thousands of video lessons to indigenous pastors and seminary students. IIIM websites also serve as avenues of distribution, and provide additional materials to supplement our videos.

Last edited:
Look then at the Master himself. Where did he go to school?

I believe you would have to to say the Word made flesh who dwelt among us is at the very least the exception to the rule. Any church looking at calling God Incarnate as pastor might be waiting a while, my friend. :)

Let's look at this another way. My mom's small rural church is probably firing their pastor this Sunday (not kidding). Part of the reason why is that a few influential members of the congregation have their eye on a young kid (early 20's) who's "preached" no more than a handful of times, who's never pastor, who has no training (not even serving under a trained minister), etc. While I wouldn't say that being seminary education is a must (but there are other ways a pastor can be trained), that scenario is a recipe for disaster.

Let's look at this another way. My mom's small rural church is probably firing their pastor this Sunday (not kidding). Part of the reason why is that a few influential members of the congregation have their eye on a young kid (early 20's) who's "preached" no more than a handful of times, who's never pastor, who has no training (not even serving under a trained minister), etc. While I wouldn't say that being seminary education is a must (but there are other ways a pastor can be trained), that scenario is a recipe for disaster.

It is the prerogative of the local Church who they call. If the elders of the Church believe God is with David and not Saul who are we to say otherwise?

There are no elders in said congregation. The "influential members" are merely a husband and wife who took a shine to a 20-something young man. The pastor, they are running off, is in his 60's (so, in essence, they are getting rid of Samuel in favor of Saul). I did leave out the part where the congregation had a private meeting in the home of a member and made this decision apart from any sort of accepted polity to my knowledge.

But I suppose you are right: if they wish to expel their current pastor in favor of a wholly unprepared one, they are reaping what they sow. But I don't think that is cause to look the other way. We should care that congregations have trained pastors. Even small rural churches deserve them.

Look then at the Master himself. Where did he go to school?

No offense, sir, but the Lord was the Maker of all things, the source of life and truth in all things - where did He need to go to school? As no minister, that I know of, fits any of these - training is a good thing for him. Now, does it necessarily need to be a brick and mortar institution? No. But training nonetheless is needed.

-----Added 9/16/2009 at 04:44:06 EST-----

Oops...Tim had already addressed this. Forget my previous comment. :)

I have three observations.
1. Most Elders of Primitive Baptist Churches, here in North America, do not have a seminary education, and many do not have a college degree.
2. Some countries are still outwardly closed to the Gospel. The government of some other nations, like Burma and Laos, greatly hinder the Gospel. It may not be possible for Elders in these nations to receive a college education. Access to the Internet is greatly restricted so IIIM Ministries option may not be of much help there.
3. IIIM Ministries has been mentioned as an on-line option for those who do not have a college education. One other option for on-line education that does not have college education as a prerequisite is The North American Reformed Seminary.
The North American Reformed Seminary
Having said that I also note that The North American Reformed Seminary functions by having mentors work with the students. TNARS is not currently accepting applications because they do not have enough TNARS mentors to service new students. Some on this board might consider inquiring into being a TNARS mentor.

I would say it's necessary to have an "education". It doesn't need to be a college education.

When I read the opening post, the above response is exactly what popped into my mind. I believe it imperative for a pastor to be educated, however where or how he is educated is not neccessarily of importance as long as it is quality. To answer Sarah's opening question in regards to the foreign pastorate, sure they may not be able to attend a formal seminary, but they should have access to some books translated into their native tongue. Also missionaries who are training up men by educating them are to be commended.

As for the argument that the bible does not state formal education is a requirement for pastoring, could these be because seminaries as we think of them, did not exist? What was the primary means of formal education in the time of Christ? I do remember that while Jesus did not go to seminary, what about Luke 2:41-50?

41Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. 42When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. 43After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you." 49"Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" 50But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

No offense, sir, but the Lord was the Maker of all things, the source of life and truth in all things - where did He need to go to school?

Others didn't know who Christ was at the time, he appeared lowly. Christ chose men not formally educated in the theology of their day to be his apostles.

God doesn't need a man with a degree to speak his word.

It is nice if a man has a degree, I believe that it should by no means be required. God works things on his time, A man may want to go to seminary but God may have him serve instead, remember Paul wanted to go to Spain, we see how that turned out.

Quick comment: Note that those who are disagreeing that a college education is necessary still, if I understand them correctly, feel that a pastor should be educated and have a thorough understanding of God's Word. They're not playing down that fact.

Quick comment: Note that those who are disagreeing that a college education is necessary still, if I understand them correctly, feel that a pastor should be educated and have a thorough understanding of God's Word. They're not playing down that fact.

That's the position I take. I believe that discernment toward the will of God should trump any man made institutional requirements.

Reliable men will raise up reliable men in the local congregation or the formal educational institution. When you get talking heads that never experienced grace that proper training can be built upon, then all the problems start.:2cents:

What I am surprised about is that people don't bring up those that start theological schools in countries without any. I know the OPC works to have churches that are self-sustaining and growing in other countries ... churches that are capable of reaching out themselves to other areas. And part of that work is to help establish seminary training in those areas, and help with training for those that do not have seminaries.

While there is no explicit Biblical mandate for "seminary" the admonition
Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment.
It would be negligent for a missionary work to not provide for the training of those whom God is calling to ministry, and not just a "bare minimum" considering all the error that abounds in the church even with learning.

Ames says that, although the church chooses those men who sill be in authority, seminaries do not confer that authority upon a minister. That is the work of God.

But this is to be understood in the sense that the authority for administering divine things is directly communicated from God to all lawful ministers, though the appointing of persons upon whom the authority is to be bestowed is done by the church.

But the church cannot confer the necessary gifts for this ministry, and cannot prescribe for God those upon whom he should confer them. Therefore, the church can only chose those who appear to it in advance to be suitable. For ordinary ministers, unlike extraordinary ministers, are not made fit by their very calling when they were unfit before. Marrow of Theology, 35:6,7

However, Ames also says a minister is unfit if he has not 'set his heart to study the law of the Lord and to do it'.

Since first an earnest zeal for the church's edification is required, a man cannot be a fit preacher unless he has Set his heart to study the law of the Lord and to do it, and to teach his statutes and ordinances in Israel, Ezra 7:10. For one who teahes another ought before and while he teaches to teach himself, Rom 2:21. Otherwise he is not prepared to edify the church. Marrow, 35:15

I would take this to mean that ministers desire education. Not just in their early twenties, but their entire life. And not simply as vocational training, but primarily out of a desire to live that theology.

If we look at Scripture's qualifications for elder at 1 Tim 3:1 "The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil." and

Titus 1:9-11 "9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
10 For there are many who are insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party. 11 They must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach."

These passages clearly don't mandate a requirement of seminary education, but as Tim noted above, these days too many men and women :eek: enter the "teaching elder" role without the necessary wisdom or knowledge. A corollary to that is that the governance of many churches is radically unbiblical. I'm sure some here have been involved in thise types of churches in the past.

Granted, a proper seminary education won't guarantee that heresies will never occur, but it would seem to reduce the chance of them occurring.

Others didn't know who Christ was at the time, he appeared lowly. Christ chose men not formally educated in the theology of their day to be his apostles.

God doesn't need a man with a degree to speak his word.

It is nice if a man has a degree, I believe that it should by no means be required. God works things on his time, A man may want to go to seminary but God may have him serve instead, remember Paul wanted to go to Spain, we see how that turned out.

It matters not that they knew His training; He was God incarnate. Those men, though not formally educated, were still TRAINED; I assure you. They were trained by their time with Christ, Himself. What was the amount time they spent with Christ, and then Paul spent in the wilderness with Christ? 3 years. Now, I am not equating seminary education to education by Christ, Himself. What is the average seminary? 3 years...training in some form is what is called for. I didn't say a brick and mortar institution, but training. By his elders or by a seminary, but training, nonetheless.

Paul had been trained, and then his plans were thwarted. It wasn't that Paul hadn't been trained, in the wilderness, by Christ, and wanted to go without being trained. He was taught, and then where he wanted to go was thwarted and re-routed. Again, brick and mortar may not be necessary, but training is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back