Do you think Jesus "wanted" to eat when He was fasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
Another way of saying this is do you think He "desired" to to eat while fasting?

I think his body, as with any human body, would demand food when hungry. But his desire was always consistent with his will, which was his father's will. It was under his total control.

We know Jesus was tempted. What is a temptation but a test upon your reaction to urges? If Jesus never had human urges, he could never have been tempted.

It is a good thing to think about ourselves. When we want things simply because of an urge, we ought to remember that desire is something we should be masters of, rather than slaves to.

I would say that he naturally felt hunger. To ask if he "wanted" or "desired" to eat sounds like you are loading the question.

I'm also not sure of Raymond's take that internal "urges" are prerequisite to genuine temptation.

Mark 7:24 From there He arose and went to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And He entered a house and wanted (ηθελεν) i.e. was desiring no one to know it, but He could not be hidden.

I would say that he naturally felt hunger. To ask if he "wanted" or "desired" to eat sounds like you are loading the question.

I'm also not sure of Raymond's take that internal "urges" are prerequisite to genuine temptation.

Jim, you are probably right. I was speaking in haste. We get into some difficult realms following what I said if pressed to far. Certainly we are subject to sinful urges that Jesus did not have. I wouldn't want to go there.

But, on the other hand, what is a temptation or test, if the option of failure does not exist? When Satan was tempting Jesus, was not that an example of Jesus undergoing what all humans face? He was physically weakened, and his body was demanding food. Yet he responded only by quoting appropriate scripture to each challenge, placing his will over the demands of his flesh.

What I'm concerned about is saying something like this: "Jesus never really had any urges that mortal people have, so the test was rigged from the start."

Isn't that what the smart people call economic appropriation? That Christ suffered hunger, etc.. and actually was tempted in all points just like us, but while God the Father can't be tempted, being tempted can be attributed to God through His relationship to the Son.

As far as fasting, if He really wanted to eat a fig on a normal day, it would seem to stand to reason He wanted to eat even more when His body was crying out for nutrients.

What I'm concerned about is saying something like this: "Jesus never really had any urges that mortal people have, so the test was rigged from the start."

Rigged from the start....good one.

The temptations were from without not from within. Of course Our Lord felt hungry and I just was wondering if He "fantasized" about eating while He was set on fasting. So when we fast and our mouth waters when we smell a burger, and wish we could eat it, we say no to that desire to break a fast, knowing that it would be a sin to eat as well knowing that "fantasy" is also sin because that is not the time to wish so.

Just contemplating on the sinless of Jesus and how little we realize how unique He truly was and is.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

As far as fasting, if He really wanted to eat a fig on a normal day, it would seem to stand to reason He wanted to eat even more when His body was crying out for nutrients.

That would assume that food is ONLY for our nutritional needs.

Mark 7:24 From there He arose and went to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And He entered a house and wanted (ηθελεν) i.e. was desiring no one to know it, but He could not be hidden.

And...

Matthew 26
36 Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, “Sit here while I go and pray over there.” 37 And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. 38 Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me.”'
39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”
42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done.”
44 So He left them, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

Mark 14
32 Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. 34 Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch.”
35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will.”
39 Again He went away and prayed, and spoke the same words.

Luke 22
41 And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” 43 Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him. 44 And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

I didn't cite the verses about the sleeping disciples, but really it's a great contrast...the ones who were not sinless were asleep in the hour when they were most vulnerable to temptation. The One who was sinless was awake and wrestling with God! Yes, He submitted to the Father's will, but the text makes clear that Jesus was praying earnestly and with sorrow and fervor.

I'm going to have to re-listen to my pastor's sermons on this text! Luther said "God forsaking God, who can understand that?" You could also say "God wrestling with God, who can understand that?"

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=7230620280

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=7230620280

Last edited:
He was physically weakened, and his body was demanding food. Yet he responded only by quoting appropriate scripture to each challenge, placing his will over the demands of his flesh.

So did he want to eat?

Think of it this way....Let us say you are on a fast and become hungry. You abstain from eating because you know it would be a sin if you ate. The evil desire to eat is overcome by the good desire to continue to fast. Did Jesus have these 2 conflicting desires?

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

How else can I ask this?

So did he want to eat?

Think of it this way....Let us say you are on a fast and become hungry. You abstain from eating because you know it would be a sin if you ate. The evil desire to eat is overcome by the good desire to continue to fast. Did Jesus have these 2 conflicting desires?

The desire to eat is natural, not sinful. A desire to break a vow is sinful. One can, during fasting, have the natural desire to eat without also harboring a desire to break the vow.

Consider the Apostle Paul:
“ But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.” Philippians 1:22-23
Paul had two conflicting, yet legitimate desires. There was tension but not sin.

The desire to eat is natural, not sinful. A desire to break a vow is sinful. One can, during fasting, have the natural desire to eat without also harboring a desire to break the vow.

So Jesus desired to eat "not sinful" which would have broken His vow to fast "sinful".

I say this with The Sermon on the Mount in mind knowing that even thoughts and desires that are not done can be sinful. In other words, if Jesus wanted to eat during His fast it could be seen as sin.

Now in stating this I agree Jesus was hungry and His body had low blood sugar, but His mind or soul did not want to feed that desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back