Do your wedding bands match and why/why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwine

Puritan Board Sophomore
As I was reading the threads that mentioned wedding bands I started thinking. In marriage we are joined together in the sight of God and in consummating the marriage we become one flesh. We can show the world and remind ourselves that we are one by wearing a wedding ring, although it is not mandatory.

But for those of you who are married and both have wedding rings, my question is: do they match, and if so, why did you decide to?

We have been married 27 and a half years and we are considering the idea of getting new bands. My rationale for why you might want them to match is that they symbolize our oneness, but I can see where they could be the same design but with some unique feature to symbolize what each of us brings into the marriage. I guess I feel that if we each just pick out a ring that we like, then all it is is just another piece of jewelery, even if it was displayed in the counter as a "wedding band."

And no, this is not a source of contention between us, but merely that inquiring minds would like to know. We were at a jewelery store today for another reason and looked at bands while waiting. They sure had some nice rings compared to the ones we bought long ago.

Not quite but sort of. My wife's ring is white gold in the center with yellow gold on the edges with a solitaire setting. The "wedding ring" part of it was a slim addition made to the back. My ring is platinum in the center with yellow gold edges. Insofar as our rings are two-tone they match. Part of the reason our rings differ is the custom of buying an engagement ring and not wanting to get her an additional ring that added a ton of width on her finger.

For our 10 year anniversary about 6 months ago, Sonya bought me a replica of the Luther wedding band that I wear on my right finger. I bought her a diamond anniversary band. They don't match at all and we didn't know the other was buying a ring.

I personally don't think there's any reason other than custom or desire to have your rings match.

Ours are just plain ole flat 14k gold rings with no real pattern or anything.

I guess you could say that they match. They weren't bought as a set though.

Ours are just plain ole flat 14k gold rings with no real pattern or anything.

I guess you could say that they match. They weren't bought as a set though.

us as well. two unmatched gold bands we bought as cheaply as possible at a pawn shop 34 years ago for the price of the gold in them. although i haven't worn my for a decade or more.

We had simple gold bands and my wife lost weight and lost hers. We replaced it with a nicer band.

Ours don't match. Lack of money 20 years ago.

About a year or so ago Janet had to have an MRI, so I kept her band in my jacket. But then I lost it. Feeling very bad, I purchased her another, nicer, one that even had platinum in it. No sooner than I get it home than I look on the driveway ... and there was her original. It had fallen out of my pocket.

BTW, she never liked the new one and so never wears it.

Lesson: Men are idiots. Admit it and get used to it.

Ours match. They are plain white gold bands.

I don't think it makes a difference. I try not to get too symbolic with things, although with bands there certainly is a sign aspect to it.

It is totally a pagan custom, but not sinful.

No, because we both thought it to be too materialistic and a waste of money to buy an engagement ring for her. So then we got to pick out the ring we each wanted for our wedding band, yet both white gold.

No, because we both thought it to be too materialistic and a waste of money to buy an engagement ring for her. So then we got to pick out the ring we each wanted for our wedding band, yet both white gold.

My wife and I have matching bands. They are crowns of thorns. If I had to do it again, I would get plain bands.

As I was reading the threads that mentioned wedding bands I started thinking. In marriage we are joined together in the sight of God and in consummating the marriage we become one flesh. We can show the world and remind ourselves that we are one by wearing a wedding ring, although it is not mandatory.

But for those of you who are married and both have wedding rings, my question is: do they match, and if so, why did you decide to?

We have been married 27 and a half years and we are considering the idea of getting new bands. My rationale for why you might want them to match is that they symbolize our oneness, but I can see where they could be the same design but with some unique feature to symbolize what each of us brings into the marriage. I guess I feel that if we each just pick out a ring that we like, then all it is is just another piece of jewelery, even if it was displayed in the counter as a "wedding band."

And no, this is not a source of contention between us, but merely that inquiring minds would like to know. We were at a jewelery store today for another reason and looked at bands while waiting. They sure had some nice rings compared to the ones we bought long ago.

Ours are an exact match. They're both round.

True, true, very true. ;)

We both have very simple gold bands. Married 33 years.

How come the clock in the background of your avatar always has the same time? And you're always wearing the same suit? This is very puzzling.;)

Ours are an exact match. They're both round.
I was hoping someone would note that consistency. :rofl:

But yesterday as we were at the store we were shown a band that was 5 (or maybe 6) links articulated so it could lay flat if you took it off. Reminded me of a tank tread.

And speaking of idiots, a joke:

If a tree falls in the forest and a man says something but there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back