ecumenism with Rome is wrong...period!
First of all hello Scott. I am a member of Glasgow RP. I believe you are the same Scott who is friends with Murdo Campbell?
I am in full agreement with the Pastor. I take scriptures take on this:
"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."
(Galatians 1:6-9)
Now what action does one take? Well i for one would compose a leaflet that explains why ecumenism with Rome is wrong. Write in a loving and biblical manner and pray the brothers and sisters who attend will realise the blapshemy of Rome. With the Romanists i would preach the gospel and pray they are saved.
In Christ
I say Amen to Craig and the others...ecumenism with Rome is wrong...because the Roman catholic church teaches a false Gospel and makes a blasphemy of the true message of salvation. To have a service with a Rominist Papist priest is a paradox and a contradiction completely. Rome is not only worng she subverts the truth and leads people away from the truth..I know I was at one time a Roman catholic and I am now by the grace of God a Reformed Protestant. I would preach the true Gospel to Romanists and try to convert them to the Reformed faith.....but this type of service is wrong..do not attend is my recommendation.
Galatians 1:8-10 (New King James Version)
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
The Romanists teach horrible heresies.Roman Catholic doctrines are not right. They directly contradict the scriptures. The Roman Catholic religion teaches multitudes to pray to "Mary" instead of in the name of Jesus. It calls its Mary "the Queen of Heaven". In Jeremiah chapters 7 and 44, the Queen of Heaven is revealed to be a devil. The Roman Catholic institution says that our precious Lord Jesus is turned into a little cracker (the Eucharist) when the priest speaks certain words at the "mass". This is a very great blasphemy. Many Catholics possess and pray to little statue idols that they call "saints" when the Bible says do not make unto thyself any graven image (Exodus 20:4). They light candles for the dead, bow before relics (e.g., a dead man's finger) and believe in a fictional purgatory that they try to pay their way out of--more money for the coffers of the "church". I am an advocate of evangelizing Roman Catholics to the truth. I am convinced that God is condemning Roman Catholicism and wants those of us who know the truth to bring others to the truth.But we do not bring them to the truth by joining with their priests who teach a false Gospel. I renounce openly Roman Catholicism and have openly renounced her and her teachings and I am anti roman catholic because she is a false church and leads so many to despair.
The most horrible statement in the article was:“Protestant Reformation” was a gigantic mistake to be repented of now!...what an abominable statement. the Protestant Reformation was not only necessary it was inspired by God to bring the true Gospel back after 1000 years or Romanist corruptions.
I do think that ex roman Catholics like myself who are now protestants (15 Million of us in the United States alone) are more authentically protestant than many cradle Protestants because we searched for and found the truth like the reformers of the 16th century. I also think that the reasons and the principles of the Protestant reformation have not been taught to many cradle Protestants in recent years perhaps in the name of Ecumenism which I think was a detraction by Rome to subvert again the truths of the glorious Protestant Reformation.
Roman Catholics are taught and I also believed that the Protestant Reformation was a rebellion solely against authority of the Roman magesterium and the pope. I left the Roman catholic church at first as a rebellion against papal authority and what I saw as abuse of that authority. However as I studied the Protestant Reformation and Protestantism I began to see another picture. I began to understand the Protestant doctrine of Sola Scriptura and began to see that being Protestant was not just a protest but a stand for the truth of the Gospel alone and the authority of scripture alone. I now believe as a Presbyterian that we Protestants should dare not compromise the Gospel by sweeping the Reformation under the rug. The Gospel is too important."