First Official *Contest* at A Puritan's Mind for the PB

Discussion in 'A Puritan's Mind Updates' started by C. Matthew McMahon, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

My guess...some 20th Century seminary professor used it in class and it took off. That's why we can't find it, it's in someone's lesson plan somewhere. Post-Warfield, pre-Gerstner.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

I've found several instances of Spurgeon expositions of the Five Points in familiar order, including here but he generally uses Human Depravity for Total Depravity, etc.

Other writers of this era, including A.A. Hodge generally seem to use the WCF term effectual calling instead of TULIP's irresistible grace.

3. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

Wow, lots of god stuff thus far!

The prize yet awaits!

4. youthevang

youthevang Puritan Board Freshman

This may not be the answer but I found them interesting.

From Calvinism Made Simple

From Sermon Audio

5. fivepointcalvinist

fivepointcalvinist Puritan Board Sophomore

We all know that the Calvinist flower is the TULIP. But how many of you knew that the Arminian flower is the DAISY?

"œHe loves me"¦ He loves me not"¦ He loves me"¦ He loves me not"¦"

6. Puritan Sailor

Puritan Sailor Puritan Board Doctor

I've got another lead, but it will have to wait until I get to the library.

So far Boettner in 1932 is the earliest?

7. Pilgrim

No one has posted anything here suggesting they have found an explicit use of TULIP earlier. Someone said that Shedd uses 4 of the 5 terms, which suggests that he may have been familiar with the acrostic.

8. fivepointcalvinist

aha! i may have it!

TULIPs or ROSES

:detective:

[Edited on 4-17-2006 by fivepointcalvinist]

9. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Anyone check SERMONS ON THE FIVE POINTS OF CALVINISM by WILLIAM PARKS? Originally preached 1856 and often reprinted and still in print. I don't have the work.

10. Pilgrim

I seem to recall Spurgeon referencing the Five Points but not mentioning TULIP explicitly. The substance was there, but particular redemption is used instead of limited atonement, etc.

11. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

I think Warfield does the same thing in his article on Calvinism in his Shorter Writings.

12. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

If you can quote the source for this place, you win: "The tulip-clad fields of Holland provided the Reformed church with the acrostic which has helped many to recall the central theses of Calvinism."

Where did the Reformed Church in Holland say this? Do you have a source for it? ;)

13. fivepointcalvinist

im hurrying!!! :lol:

14. Pilgrim

Did the Reformed Church in Holland say this? When the author refers to the "Reformed Church" I took it to mean the Reformed Church in general, not specifically Dutch Reformed, although I could be wrong. The quote is from a book review in the OPC magazine and the book reviewed is one in which Timothy George comes up with ROSES as a substitute for TULIP. Perhaps the tulips in Holland gave whoever formulated TULIP the idea for it.

[Edited on 4-17-2006 by Pilgrim]

15. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

Who first used the terms "Limited Atonement" instead of "Particular Atonement" and "irresistible Grace" instead of "Efficacious Grace"? If you don't have those particular (no pun intended) words, you don't have the acrostic. In fact, people don't like to use different phrases without apology because it messes up the acrostic. So there's the clue possibly.

16. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

:lol:

17. Puritan Sailor

I thought it was interesting that Boettner didn't use Total Depravity but Total Inability. I wonder who introduced Total Depravity.....

18. fivepointcalvinist

:candle: i have emailed the author for his reference. will get back in the am...

19. fivepointcalvinist

got a response back from the author:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

[Edited on 4-17-2006 by fivepointcalvinist]

20. fivepointcalvinist

thought this was interesting:

21. fivepointcalvinist

i think its implied that at the synod itself, those present were inspired by the concurrent fascination/interest in tulips. i think its reasonable to say that the acrostic was a concensus rather than something proposed by one man...

22. matthew11v25

matthew11v25 Puritan Board Sophomore

I thought the acrostic TULIP was developed atleast after the Canons of Dordt were translated into english.

found this reference:

by Arie Leder

23. matthew11v25

matthew11v25 Puritan Board Sophomore

Though it may have been established like a consensus, I am guessing that someone still came up with the original idea. I may be wrong, but that is my thought.

24. fivepointcalvinist

well i will definitely concede to the fact that the acronym was likely originated in an english speaking culture. why? tulip the flower in dutch is translated t-u-l-p. no irresistible grace!

25. Puritan Sailor

:banana:
    Looks like I'm still in the lead :)

26. polemic_turtle

polemic_turtle Puritan Board Freshman

boy, I give up! I probably earned near that today working, so I'll just give up for now and order myself something nice.

Like Turrentin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology for $75 from Walmart.com

27. Bladestunner316

Bladestunner316 Puritan Board Doctor

weird at wallmart??

28. MeanieCalvinist

MeanieCalvinist Puritan Board Freshman

Great idea... what a great deal on the set!

29. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

:ditto: Wow, that's a remarkable price! Wal-Mart? :candle:

30. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

So is the contest over? Did Patrick get the prize? What's the official verdict? Inquiring minds would like to know. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.