Getting cold air into a hot room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Puritan Board Graduate
I am installing a window air conditioner in my apartment today. I will be also using a fan to get this cold air into the room that doesn't have the A/C unit. If I put the fan in the door between the two spaces, which direction should it blow?

1. Blow the cold air into the hot room?
2. Blow the hot air into the cold room?

Or, does it not work like that?

Better to try to get the cold air into the hot room...

Bet you're not liking Michigan too much now, right, Tim? ;) We used to have nice summers here, not these blast furnace affairs.

I'm sure someone will correct me and know the science behind it, but I would say blow the cold air into the hot room. Seems like that's how my car's AC works, for example. It will be harder to remove the humidity in the second room (which is the part of the science, I think), but it should get the second room at least cooler than it is now.

Tim, I think if you place the fan on the floor blowing away from the AC you will pull more cold into the other room than if it is high in the doorway. Angling it up may help to throw the cooler air up into the room to avoid stratification of the air in the room. Overall, though, I think it will mainly help to circualte and therefore moderate the air temp in both rooms.

Joshua, we are certainly glad that you do shower, but I think maybe you should follow your cousin Sirmon's example and increase the frequency to at least once a week whether you need it or not. Especially in the summer months.

I am installing a window air conditioner in my apartment today

How many btu is your AC unit, how big are the room's you want to cool. Depending on your answer your AC might not be big enough to cool two rooms. You just might over work the unit.

I know of people who will use a dehumidefier with a fan to get the moisture out of the air. You might try that in the second room.

How many btu is your AC unit, how big are the room's you want to cool. Depending on your answer your AC might not be big enough to cool two rooms. You just might over work the unit.

I think I have enough BTUs. I calculated the square footage and it is covered. The issue is that the air has to go around a corner and through a doorway.

Actually, I just checked, and I believe it is working. I am able to place a fan in a particularly cold part of my living room and the fan blows directly into the doorway of my bedroom. We are almost under 80F now.

Joshua, we are certainly glad that you do shower, but I think maybe you should follow your cousin Sirmon's example and increase the frequency to at least once a week whether you need it or not. Especially in the summer months.

I second this recommendation.

AC works by removing heat from the air. So theoretically you should blow the hot bedroom air towards to air conditioner. Although in practice it probably creates enough circulation either way the fan points to equalize the two rooms.

AC works by removing heat from the air. So theoretically you should blow the hot bedroom air towards to air conditioner. Although in practice it probably creates enough circulation either way the fan points to equalize the two rooms.

I thought I was going to be okay. I wanted to be thrifty, to save money when possible. But, during this particular heat wave, it started to affect my sleep and, consequently, my work. Time is valuable, so I knew that it was a wise decision for me to get A/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back