God got me through my expository sermon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
For those who care to endure my long-winded postings...

I just gave an expository sermon this past Wednesday on Nehemiah and had to fill in for my pastor who was out-of-town.... Nehemiah is an interesting book like 1 Samuel.

I think I went overboard as it was an 1 hour and ten minutes, but I felt okay coming out of it. I probably could have balanced the introduction and conclusion length a little more. It's easy to beat yourself up. I don't feel a pastor should have to apologize for preaching the Gospel a long time, though sometimes it seems only practical to accommodate attention-deficit congregations. My church is accustomed to more substantive preaching, and my pastor is good at feeding the flock... the more theologically-minded as well as those believers in Christ that long for simplicity.

I am keenly aware that speaking in a pulpit is a different ballgame than teaching Sunday School or a Men's Fellowship meeting. Though, I think my first sermon, which was a topical sermon on Hebrews 12:2 was much better. It was only 28 minutes and I ran through the ordo salutis unraveling it from predestination to justification to regeneration to sanctification to glorification.

I read a good book called Cross-Centered Preaching from a Christian college library by Brian Chappell. I highly recommend it... Though, I see a great room for improvement on my part as an expositor. I'm not shy nor worried about delivery so much, but I see a natural flow and rhythm that established pastors have-- that I hope to develop more over time. Too me, topical sermons are more appealing to deliver, but I think expository sermons are increasingly neglected in our time amongst many churches. Being a guest speaker on an off-on occasion typically warrants topical sermons.

I prefer to write and memorize as much of my message as possible like Edwards and Spurgeon did... I don't think there is shame in doing this, memorizing much of it or utilizing a skeleton outline... particularly if it makes for more substantive preaching with clarity.

My pastor strikes a nice balance and makes good use of expository preaching. I really hope to grow more comfortable at expository preaching... I really sorta like topical sermons however. Above all, I just want to strive and live the Word...

We're not to pursue ministry for the accolades of men, but rather because we love God, we love to minister to others, and carry a burden for the lost. I acknowledge a great deal of failures in my life, and purport to be nothing more than a sinner saved by grace. I am cognizant of Paul's long line of prerequisites for pastors... I don't always feel that "blameless" adequately describes myself. Being a doer of the Word is one of the most pivotal things for a pastor... I hope to get ordained as an associate pastor one day.

Ryan,

How large was the text you chose? That could be the cause for the length. I am not quick (40-45 min on average), but 1:10 is a bit long for people to retain attention.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Ryan,

How large was the text you chose? That could be the cause for the length. I am not quick (40-45 min on average), but 1:10 is a bit long for people to retain attention.

Nehemiah chapters one through six...

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Ryan,

Nehemiah chapters one through six...

Ryan,

There is your answer. In my humble opinion, WAY too much text. I would not think of taking more than a chapter, EVER. I am not sure how you could possibly "exposit" six chapters in one sitting.

I have only seen someone do that once and it was good - Mark Dever did a blessed "overview" of Acts. But even that was designed as a introduction to a move throught the book in months to come.

[Edited on 6/12/2005 by fredtgreco]

but 1:10 is a bit long for people to retain attention.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. I regularly preach between 60 and 80 minutes, and since no one ever told my congregation that sermons were supposed to last only 30 minutes, they think it is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back