Having trouble with Sanctification vs. Justification

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
A couple of years ago, I borrowed numerous archives of the "White Horse Inn" from the local RTS and devoured them. They brought fresh life into my spirituality and acquainted me with the great truths of the Reformation, ...and Christ!

Since then, I have realized that I may have misunderstood and perhaps been off base in some of my thinking about sanctification. There has been so much of an emphasis on "Christ and his finished work on the cross" that I'm now having trouble coming to grips with what my personal responsibilities might be.

Specifically, I was listening to Dr. Gerstner's exposition of the WCF the other night and he was going over the topics of Repentence, and then Good Works. When he got to the part about "your righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees", terror went through me!

I had always interpreted that verse to mean that "you need something other than your own righteousness to be right before God; the righteousness of Christ." And while that's true, he explained that the verse is to be taken at face value, and one's OWN, personal, subjective righteousness is to exceed that of the Pharisee's.

I realized that I have not been zealous towards keeping the Law, and have been careless in battling sin, as if it really didn't make that much of a difference. Now I'm left dealing with passages like, "Without holiness no one will see the Lord;" "Be ye perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect", etc! Quite frightening!

What shall I do? Is it true that we'll be judged according to the Law? If we are "doing poorly in our Law-keeping", could that mean that perhaps we are not really numbered among the elect? I'm frightened and confused...

The key lies in a correct understanding of Perseverance of the Saints, an essential part of which is Lordship Salvation, or the doctrine that the Spirit does and will continually conform to Christ every person who has been washed by Christ. Furthermore, we know that God circumcises the hearts of His people, and that one way we will be conformed to Christ is to be given an increasing natural desire not only to keep the Law, but to keep it out of a true love for God and His glory, which is the greatest commandment of all. And it is that command of a pure heart that the Pharisees failed to keep, for all of their external Law-following was done out of prideful, fleshly motives - and that is a key point where we know the Spirit is continually changing our hearts, thus making even our observable righteousness (i.e. our sanctification) higher than that of the Pharisees.

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
Since then, I have realized that I may have misunderstood and perhaps been off base in some of my thinking about sanctification. There has been so much of an emphasis on "Christ and his finished work on the cross" that I'm now having trouble coming to grips with what my personal responsibilities might be.

This is true, the "higher life" empahsis on Christ's Finished Work at Calvary can become a "positional abstraction" rather than an "organic reality". As far as our personal responsbility goes ... it begins with abiding in Christ through the Holy Spirit's power alone. The process of sanctification is ongoing, for the remainder of our natural lives. There are times of holy fear and great conviction; yet also times where our experience with Christ is so pure and filled with divine love that it seems heavenly.

Here are some great "keys" to growing in sancification that are helping me:

1) Always endeavor to understand the Scriptures in terms of the surrounding context and the docrines which they support.

2) Never base your sense of security in Christ on your emotions. If something troubles us, let's get alone with God. Pray (and fast if necessary) meditating on the Scriptures until the Spirit of Christ reveals what is necessary - repentance, acceptance of Christ's righteousness by faith, etc.

3) Be careful of reactions to recorded messages, sermons, etc. Often the "table talk" that occured after these messages clarified the fulness of doctrine being emphasized. Also recongnize that great orators (like the late Dr. Gertsner) use vocal inflections and rhetorical devices for effect (... not sure that this is what was happening in the case you mention) that can really "shake us up" - this can be good because God can use it for our growth. However, prolonged anxiety or worse, condemnation has no redemptive value.

What shall I do? Is it true that we'll be judged according to the Law? If we are "doing poorly in our Law-keeping", could that mean that perhaps we are not really numbered among the elect? I'm frightened and confused...

No, Christ alone has fulfilled the Law. He alone is our righteous advocate with the Father. The Law is being written on our hearts as a testimony to the miracle of monergistic regenration and the gifts of repentance and faith which are given to all of God's elect children!
Relax and read the books of Romans, Galatians, and Luther's commentary on Galatians.

Chris,

Your reaction to the "be perfect" passage is a good one. Hearing the Law drives us to despair of our own ability. That statement was intentionally placed to "drive" the elect to Christ. Jesus was ramping-up the height of God's Law even higher than Moses. The regenerate ear will hear the impossibility of actually being perfect and flee to Christ; the unregenerate will interpret it like it can actually be done.

Btw, it is safer to read the entire Gospel account (any of the four) from start to finish, without stopping. The Text is specifically designed to portray guilt then Grace (in that order)...which means it is a perversion of the Text to only focus on the cross; only focus on the Law teachings of Jesus; the healings, Etc. Remember to keep things in order and connected (context.) Get out of the American-religious habit of pulling verses out to identify a doctrine or see how you are doing.

Satan's modus operandi is to swap justification and sanctification; confusing the order and understanding of these.

Whenever you're concerned about assurance - gaze deeply into the information about Christ (the Gospel.) The Gospel is there to establish us in sanctification at ever-increasing levels. (Which, btw, has little to do with predominantly moral characteristics.)

:worms:

Robin

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by Robin]

I'm not sure I understand....
(the part about "moral characteristics") Are you ready to fully open your can of worms? ....

From my understanding: your righteousness is as filthy rags before regeneration. Afterwards, it´s another story. The Spirit within will lead you to nothing contrary to the law (also written within you). You can not escape the law written in your heart and mind.

You still have a will to choose and you may act contrary to the guidance of the Holy Spirit... and He will let you act on your transgression. As far as righteousness, I see there are two.

One is a righteousness that you can not obtain (it is given to you by God). This is the imputed righteousness of Christ. The second is "your" righteousness. This is the righteousness that exceeds that of the scribes and the Pharisees. For them, the inside of the cup was dirty but the outside was clean (external righteousness obtained by obedience to the law). Fortunately, under the New Covenant, God has cleaned the inside of the cup for you, but He still expects obedience from His people.

The imputed righteousness of Christ sets you in proper standing before God (this is your justification). After God has imputed His righteousness to you, "your" righteousness also goes into effect. "Your" righteousness is that which you obtain by walking after the Spirit (sanctification). You and the Spirit together work towards your sanctification. This is part of your involvement in the New Covenant. I tend to believe sanctification has three steps:

You were sanctified in the past (before the foundation of the world). You are currently in the process of sanctification (which involves the Holy Spirit and your will). Finally, you are yet to be fully sanctified.

Your sin has already been judged at the cross. Your obedience to the law is judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ (not for condemnation but for reward). Now, if you throw the law and the Spirit out, I'm not sure where you are. If you want no part of sanctification, you may not understand the New Covenant.... nor want any part of it. It may even make you sick to hear the words "New Covenant."

By the way, obedience to the law is not impossible. Nothing is impossible for God who is dwelling within the saint. Obedience to His law is merely an exercise of your "will."

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by Texas Aggie]

The problem is that following the guidance of the Spirit is an approximation on our part at best. Still, it's better than not trying to follow Him at all. God is changing us, making us more like His Son, as a free gift, restoring the divine image which was marred at the Fall, but this following the Spirit is not meritorious in any sense-God is not obligated to us at all because of it, but it is a sign of His activity in us. My :2cents:

Christ fulfilled the Law and we are to conform to Christ. Therfore, we must obey the Law out of a regenerate heart's desire to glorify God.

Originally posted by Robin
Chris,

Your reaction to the "be perfect" passage is a good one. Hearing the Law drives us to despair of our own ability. That statement was intentionally placed to "drive" the elect to Christ. Jesus was ramping-up the height of God's Law even higher than Moses. The regenerate ear will hear the impossibility of actually being perfect and flee to Christ; the unregenerate will interpret it like it can actually be done.

Btw, it is safer to read the entire Gospel account (any of the four) from start to finish, without stopping. The Text is specifically designed to portray guilt then Grace (in that order)...which means it is a perversion of the Text to only focus on the cross; only focus on the Law teachings of Jesus; the healings, Etc. Remember to keep things in order and connected (context.) Get out of the American-religious habit of pulling verses out to identify a doctrine or see how you are doing.

Satan's modus operandi is to swap justification and sanctification; confusing the order and understanding of these.

Whenever you're concerned about assurance - gaze deeply into the information about Christ (the Gospel.) The Gospel is there to establish us in sanctification at ever-increasing levels. (Which, btw, has little to do with predominantly moral characteristics.)

:worms:

Robin

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by Robin]

:up::up::up:

Well said! Unless God has regenerated and justified us there is no sanctification; if we are regenerated and justified then there will be sanctification; if there is sanctification then it is out of thankfulness not merit.

HC Q&A 62-64

Q62: But why cannot our good works be the whole or part of our righteousness before God?
A62: Because the righteousness which can stand before the judgment seat of God must be perfect throughout and entirely conformable to the divine law,[1] but even our best works in this life are all imperfect and defiled with sin.[2]

1. Gal. 3:10; Deut. 27:26
2. Isa. 64:6; James 2:10; Phil. 3:12

Q63: Do our good works merit nothing, even though it is God's will to reward them in this life and in that which is to come?
A63: The reward comes not of merit, but of grace.[1]

1. Luke 17:10; Rom. 11:6

Q64: But does not this doctrine make men careless and profane?
A64: No, for it is impossible that those who are implanted into Christ by true faith, should not bring forth fruits of thankfulness.[1]

1. Matt. 7:18; Rom. 6:1-2; John 15:5

I especially like the adamant presentation of Q&A 64: "it is impossible"

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
I'm not sure I understand....
(the part about "moral characteristics") Are you ready to fully open your can of worms? ....

Hey GOOOoooo Rev. Kok!! And, Gabe....you're ON it, my man!

Now about that can of worms, Chris....suffice it to say (as Rev. Kok's expressed in the HC) "sanctification" is given to us @ the moment of our justification AND is also worked-out in "real time" as we mature in Christ. So we should shy away from thinking: sanctification = moral reform. It's not primarily exhibited by better moral behavoirs. Rather, we KNOW our sactification is assured and obtained by Christ:

1 Corinthians 1:26-31
For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption Therefore, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Our union with Christ (IN Christ) affords us the above because God made Christ our wisdom, righteousness and sanctification.

In the course of time and maturity, truly regenerate souls will gradually change to the image of Christ - as Calvin describes. (see link)

http://members.aol.com/Graceordained/jcworks.htm

The moment we trust in Christ alone for redemption, we are totally and completely sanctified IN HIM. This frees us to relax and rest in His "yoke" --- which is light. Being robed in Christ's righteousness (!) means even our pitiful attempts at living a life to God is seen by God as "perfect" because we are IN Christ. (!!!)

Weird as it may feel....awkward; inept; even sinful "works" are cloaked under the purity of Christ's merits. Thank God!

r.

Thank you, Everyone, for your comments and help! I can't believe this even came to be a struggle for me, but sometimes even we who preach to others need to be preached to ourselves!

I will read and re-read these responses until it really sinks in....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back