Help with Reference in Bullinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
I need to track down a source used by Bullinger in his Decades, and it would be beneficial to have before I would be able to reorder from the library what might have it.

So, if anyone has a more recently edited edition of Bullinger's Decades, could you check a reference for me? It will be on the second or third page of the fourth sermon in the first Decade; and the quote will sound something like this:
Faith is a grounded persuasion of heavenly things, in the meditation whereof we ought so to occupy ourselves for the assured truth's sake of God's word, that we may believe, that in the mind we do see those things as well, as with our eyes we do behold things sensibly perceived and easy to be seen. PSD, 83

Or,
Fides est rerurm divinarum persuasio, quarum cogitationi ita incumbre debemus, propter oraculorum fidem, ut non minus ea cernere animo credamus, quam oculis res sensu perceptas et aspectabiles cernimus.

Have more recent editors supplied a source reference?

Thanks.
 
Sorry Paul, but in the edition I have which was recently republished by RHB (which is a photolithograph of the 4-vol. Parker Society edition [1849-52] which was edited by Thomas Harding and published by University Press at Cambridge), the footnote says: "The editor has not succeeded in tracing this definition to its source." Then the footnote goes on to give the original Latin definition as you have already cited.
 
Actually from Guillaume Budé?

I think the passage may actually come from Guillaume Budé (who was, after all, suspected of Calvinism):

Nos autem fidem rerum divinarum vocamus, id est, ut principes Theologi vocaverunt, pepoithesin <ten peri ten theiwn apolupragmoneton sugkatathesin.> Quarum <rerum> cogitationi incumbere debemus propter oraculorum fidem, ut non minus ea cernere animo credamus, quam oculis res sensu perceptas et aspectabiles cernimus.

Commentarii linguae Graecae, around pages 118-19 (I found this text via a reference that provides the citation col. 155:47 et seq., which is to a different edition than I have) The document can be found on the Gallica site (link), but unfortunately, pages 118-19 are missing from the copy.

I suppose it is possibly taken from source commonly known to both Budé and Calvin - and the source I have identified above cites immediately after to Dionysius of Alexandria, whose works are (as far as I know) pretty much fragmentary these days.
 
I think the passage may actually come from Guillaume Budé (who was, after all, suspected of Calvinism):

Nos autem fidem rerum divinarum vocamus, id est, ut principes Theologi vocaverunt, pepoithesin <ten peri ten theiwn apolupragmoneton sugkatathesin.> Quarum <rerum> cogitationi incumbere debemus propter oraculorum fidem, ut non minus ea cernere animo credamus, quam oculis res sensu perceptas et aspectabiles cernimus.

Mr. P. C. Flanagan, Esq. of Grace Orthodox Presbyterian -- I thank you very much for this information. I will follow up on this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top