How many of you had a Halley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
:lol:, I know the title sounds silly but seriously, how many of you owned the old "Halley Bible Handbook"? :):book2::) I bought one early in my Christian walk, so early, I do not remember now the Theological stance. I will give some credit here! Early in my Walk, the book had some general outlines that helped as introductions to the Books of the Holy Bible. But that is about all I recall, I saw a copy not long ago which made think of it, so I just wondered how many here had this little book.:gpl::gpl::popcorn:

For a moment I thought I read "Harley." :lol: But no, I never owned the book or the bike. :D

OH..."Fess UP!" I KNOW more than just 3 of use have had a Halley. No need to be ashamed!:popcorn:

O.K. Accurate in it's history and archaeology, but modernist in it's theology. There's the :worms:. Enjoy - Grymir

:popcorn:

OH..."Fess UP!" I KNOW more than just 3 of use have had a Halley. No need to be ashamed!:popcorn:
I still have mine. I didn't use it much, but as I recall it had useful information in it. Its been too long since I used it, though, but isn't it just a Bible dictionary? Is there some reason a reformed Christian wouldn't use it?

Last edited:
Have it. Good reference for historical background. I don't use it as often as I should, though.

O.K. Accurate in it's history and archaeology, but modernist in it's theology. There's the :worms:. Enjoy - Grymir

:popcorn:

Interesting. Again, I could not remember the stance. I know Halley was a Pastor, but I do not even know whar Denomination was with.:book2::popcorn:

I own one. (Upon a reccomendation by Chuck Smith) But have not found it to be that useful over the years.

I own one. (Upon a reccomendation by Chuck Smith) But have not found it to be that useful over the years.
That's cool, all I want is people to step forward and admit they have one and cracked the cover at least once!:):):):popcorn:

Have one ( I never get rid of a book). OK, but very elementry, in my opinion.

I have one, having bought it soon after becoming a Christian. My recollection is that Halley was ordained in the Disciples of Christ, but I don't know that that is evident from the book. The church history article in the back is quite favorably disposed toward Protestantism while being sharply critical of the papacy. My recollection is that much of the book was devoted to various archeological finds and that it has outlines and brief summaries of each of the books of the Bible.

The "New Halley's Bible Handbook" (it's the one with the white cover) was revised significantly after his death. The church history article in particular bears little resemblance to what Halley wrote.

I first thought that Halley was Holley, and you were asking a carb question. I've got a 4 barrel that I've rebuilt. When the 4 barrel opens up, I hope to hear the hallelujah chorus and the thunder of God. :p

Dennis do you know the Theological stance he held? As I said, it has been so long that for the life if me I cannot recall.:gpl::gpl::gpl:

Sorry, got mine as a kid from the Billy Graham folks.

One reviewer carped:

The only reason I don't rate the book higher is Halley's fundamentalist position permeates much of the book, leaving no doubt about his stance on every position. Halley is a traditionalist of the first order who maintains each book was written by the person whom it is credited to, and he attacks "modern scholars", whom he accuses of trying to destroy the Bible through modern criticism, at every turn.

Dennis do you know the Theological stance he held? As I said, it has been so long that for the life if me I cannot recall.:gpl::gpl::gpl:

Sorry, got mine as a kid from the Billy Graham folks.

One reviewer carped:

The only reason I don't rate the book higher is Halley's fundamentalist position permeates much of the book, leaving no doubt about his stance on every position. Halley is a traditionalist of the first order who maintains each book was written by the person whom it is credited to, and he attacks "modern scholars", whom he accuses of trying to destroy the Bible through modern criticism, at every turn.

:up: This book was pretty good compared to my New Oxford Annotated Bible and the the Oxford Companion to the Bible that I had to buy as an undergraduate. Both of those books pushed modernist views and asserted things like the JEDP theory, that Paul didn't write the pastoral epistles, Peter didn't write 2nd Peter, Daniel is not predictive prophecy, etc. The book that first showed me that intelligent people could disagree with these liberal theories was the People's Study Bible, edited by Harold Lindsell.

I got one for Christmas in 1989 and still have it. I don't use it often but have read the historical backgounds from time to time.

Had one, may still somewhere. Some interesting info. I do remember one statement to the effect that both election and free-will are taught, and though seem to contradict, must both be accepted as true. Kinda left it as a mystery, but much better than the arminian swill I was hearing at the time.

This book was a highly treasured book for me in my first 2 years of believing and for that reason it still is highly treasured.

It is easy to read, concise and it taught me the big-picture reason why many of the books were written and what Paul's letters were generally about. Easy to get lost in the details as a new beleiver.

I think I read my Halley's 5 times the first year I believed and read the Bible using his outlines for the first 2 years.

I actually picked it as one of the books I shipped over here (space and weight limits) and I chose it over some of the wordy Puritans.... sometimes broad and concise is better than 10 volumes on psalm 19.

The only thing I remember from it is, "THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE BOOK", which was the recommendation that an entire congregation be motivated to use the same Bible reading plan, and that the pastor consistently preach from a passage that the congregation would have read during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back