How to read Augustine

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Nyberg

Puritan Board Sophomore
This question is for those familiar with The City of God, or Augustine in general. I have tried to read CoG a few times, and found each reading quite difficult. I have not found him boring, per se but I have always become too busy to continue reading, forgotten all that I read before, then began at the beginning to catch back up. Being that it has sat on my shelf for several years, and I have only gotten through the first few hundred pages, I am turning to y’all for advice. Are there certain sections that are essential, as compared to other sections? Are there any commentaries that might help the modern reader engage with or appreciate Augustine more? Are there sections of CoG that the puritans or reformers especially quoted or appreciated? Thanks in advance!
 
The first 8 books or so of CoG are pretty good. It gets really challenging after Book 10. The material isn't particularly difficult, but Augustine's allegorical readings often strain credulity. And he isn't always a good writer. I recommend something like the Teaching Company's course on City of God.
 
The first 8 books or so of CoG are pretty good. It gets really challenging after Book 10. The material isn't particularly difficult, but Augustine's allegorical readings often strain credulity. And he isn't always a good writer. I recommend something like the Teaching Company's course on City of God.
Is This course the one you are referring to, Jacob?
 
I did some brief summary notes years ago.
 
It took me nearly a full year to get through the whole thing, but it was absolutely worth it. It sits on my bookshelf to my left even right now. If nothing else, I learned more about Roman cosmology in the first half of the book than I ever did at any other point in time.

I’d just say what others in here have said; don’t rush, don’t skim or skip. Reread a page if it’s needed. I found the greatest struggle I had reading this was my lack of patience; I had to develop that along the way, but it was well worth it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top