I met Iain Murray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnie

Puritan Board Graduate
Oh I am so happy to say that for the first time in my life I heard Iain Murray speak. He has been my favorite author for many years and I have often said that the one thing I wished I could do before I die is meet Iain Murray and thank him for his books. We just found out yesterday that he was speaking tonight in the Philly suburbs, so we drove an hour to hear him talk about Lloyd-Jones. (He is in the states for the Banner of Truth Conference). It was just wonderful. His speaking is as engrossing as his books. I was able to shake his hand and say that he was my favorite author and I wished he would write his next book as the autobiography of his own life.

I thank God tonight for geat writers, especially the writers that make church history come alive, and make the saints who have gone before seem almost like we knew them ourselves. What a rich legacy that man has left to the church. May God bless his ending years richly!
 
I had the opportunity to eat lunch with Rev. Murray at the ARP Synod a couple years back and he (and his wife) is a fine Christian Gentleman. I asked him what I as a young minister should read of his and he told me to read "The Forgotten Spurgeon". I was kind of surprised at the time but as I look back now I see the wisdom in his recommendation.
 
I met him at that same Synod, too. I got him to sign a couple of books for me. I have MANY of his books, but The Missus said I should never ask for more than two (she told me the same thing the time I met D.A. Carson). So I had him sign A Scottish Christian Heritage and Revival and Revivalism. But now I'm going to have to break out The Forgotten Spurgeon. ;)
 
I was rather taken by Revival and Revivalism and Evangelicalism divided.

He has some lectures that are very good in my opinion, on sermonaudio.com The downside is that the quality is rather poor on many of the lectures.
If someone were to clean up the audio somehow (If even possible) that would be a great blessing.
 
Very cool! I had my first exposure to him this last year when a friend let me borrow Spurgeon vs. Hyper-Calvinism. I enjoyed it so much that I bought the Jonathan Edwards biography and LOVED it. Forgotten Spurgeon is on my want list now. :)
 
I doubt I'll meet him this side of glorification, but his writings have been helpful. I also enjoyed listening to him on several 9Marks Podcasts. In my humble opinion his works would be an asset to everyone's library. I'm glad for you Lynnie :) .
 
I have got to meet him every year for the last four years at the Banner Ministers Conference here in the UK. A real privilege. His research and writing is a legacy which will endure many years after he does!
 
I met him a couple of times when the Banner of Truth Trust had ministers conferences in California (1996-2005), which they no longer do, for reasons which remain mysterious. He is a very gracious man and easy to engage in conversation. I loved meeting him.
 
I heard Mr. Murray speak in Grand Rapids when I was a child of 11 or 12. I didn't know much of anything about him at the time, but I remember that my Dad was excited about the chance to hear him speak.

I just recently discovered Mr. Murray's books myself. I've read "The Puritan Hope" and "Revivals and Revivalism," both of which I appreciated quite a bit, and just last night I borrowed a copy of his biography on Jonathan Edwards, which I look forward to reading.
 
....and so do I, even though I've never met him, even though I live in Scotland.
I once sent a message of appreciation of "the Undercover Revolution", with a wish that he might think of writing something larger on the same topic, via a friend who worked for the Banner in Edinburgh
 
I'm quite jealous. Rev. Murray's book Evangelicalism Divided was the book that convinced me that there was a true difference between Neo-Evangelicalism and the Reformed Faith. It was the book that helped me start developing a sense of Churchmanship outside of parachurch ministries, though I remain grateful for them.
 
I had the opportunity to eat lunch with Rev. Murray at the ARP Synod a couple years back and he (and his wife) is a fine Christian Gentleman. I asked him what I as a young minister should read of his and he told me to read "The Forgotten Spurgeon". I was kind of surprised at the time but as I look back now I see the wisdom in his recommendation.

Did this event led to the naming of your son?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top