Ideas for late night snacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sesame seeds, ground into a paste and sweetened. It is often available in vanilla, chocolate flavors, and sometimes with pistachio nuts mixed in. I prefer the vanilla. It's a middle-eastern dessert type item.

Some regular grocery stores carry it, but it is cheapest at "Global Foods" in Kirkwood (MO). Shopping there is quite an experience--first time there, you wander the aisles (arranged by nations, with appropriate flags hanging in each aisle), and you keep saying to yourself, "People eat this stuff?!?"

I've never even heard of Halvah. :think: It sounds like one of Martin's cousins from Denmark. However, it sounds tasty. What's it made of?

It's an Eastern European/ Middle Eastern candy made of flour, oil, tahini, and sugar and comes in different flavors. My parents were originally from Eastern Europe so I grew up eating it! It has a unique flavor that is different than any other sweet treat you've tried! You can find it at any Middle Eastern Store!

Halva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Yvonne, for the pointer to that article. I learnt something, as the English say.

Have never had, nor did I know of, the flour-based varieties. That same Global Foods also sells what must be a sunflower seed variety, but it looks particularly inedible, stringy.

Thanks, Yvonne, for the pointer to that article. I learnt something, as the English say.

Have never had, nor did I know of, the flour-based varieties. That same Global Foods also sells what must be a sunflower seed variety, but it looks particularly inedible, stringy.

That's actually the one that I like best! The one that has more of a stringy consistency!

Maybe I'll brave up someday and try it. . .on your recommendation.

Good night all! I'll pay for these late hours tomorrow.

Thanks! You guys are the best. Now I can memorize Turrentin all the way into the night and still remain slim!

My 85 year old father has, for at least the last half century, had a bowl of cereal with milk before going to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back