I would consider that to be the correct answer. "Sufficiency" only applies to what justice required and Christ gave. The persons "for whom" He satisfied are not really being considered at that point.
I had a thought recently in clarifying sufficiency/efficiency. I was wondering if I was simplifying the matter too much, especially since Thomas Watson on the other thread seems to contradict the following scheme?
First, we have the intrinsic value of Christ's sacrifice. This is concerned with justice and the worth of Christ's sacrifice with no regard to any redemption. Second, there is the application of this sacrifice to purchasing the redemption of the elect. It is not that this should be seen as separate from the value of Christ's sacrifice, but rather,
this is where the sufficiency/efficiency distinction properly belongs. That is, Christ's death was sufficient to save as many as God intended, but Christ applied that value or purchased redemption with that value of the elect alone, and Christ did this by standing as a substitute for the elect alone. This then brings, thirdly, the distinction between redemption accomplished and redemption applied. Sufficiency/efficiency is related to redemption accomplished, despite the use of "application" being used when speaking of the distinction. The benefits of this purchased redemption are applied to the elect according to God's time, but the redemption has already been puchased, i.e., Christ's sacrifice has already been applied to the elect to purchase their redemption.
If Jesus' death could have saved a million billion worlds, then
he could have died for aliens on planet Xeno.
Yes, I remember reading that some years ago. It is useful. However, doesn't the hypothetical in the case of intrinsic sufficiency merely help in understanding the real worth of Christ's sacrifice, since it helps clarify what we mean by "infinite" value? In that regard, the hypothetical could be useful, since the hypothetical element is locked into the real world by the value of Christ's atonement?