iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just a little slow, but why is 10 hours of battery life so bad? My laptop only gets about 3. 10 hours seems like a dream!
I was thinking the same thing. Apparently people are comparing to cell phones. The iPad is a bit heftier than that though...

I think Rich was continuing with my comparison of the Kindle. The Kindle can go up to a week on a single charge. So 10 hours is a pittance.

Bingo! I think Tom hit the nail on the head with what it really is. I can't see any reason to own this.

If someone is using it over 10 hours a day they probably need a life. Recharge it every night and you will probably do fine.

I am interested in a reader, but I do not want a one trick pony hence I have avoided the Kindle and am attracted to the iPad since it can do more (e.g. it can run applications, I can more easily upload manuals and books I have as well as get Internet content). The iPad is very attractive in many ways.

However it is, in typical Apple fashion, a closed system - no USB or firewire connectors, no external video connectors, no removeable battery, etc.. You have to but the Apple docking station. They eliminated a lot of third-party add-ons. This is one thing I do not like about Steve Jobs approach to products.

So I will wait for the HP Slate and other vendor offerings using Windows 7 hoping the touch interface is decent.

The iPad looks like it'll be a really viable alternative to folks who are in the market for a netbook. It's not a replacement for a full-on PC (or Mac), but a good supplement.

I think it's just an iPhone on steroids, or a notebook/laptop on...estrogen? (What does the opposite of steroids?) Personally, it's worthless to me since I just got an iPhone (which nicely replaced my phone-iPod-PDA) and I very rarely use my laptop.

And I love my Kindle. The e-ink matters a lot to me - I work on a computer all day, I don't need to do any more 'backlit' reading in my spare time. And it's not replacing most of my books, especially reference books. It's great for fiction or lighter nonfiction, and the stuff I love the most I can generally get for free or just a few dollars so it's at home AND always with me (e.g. the complete works of Jonathan Edwards for $2, most bigger reference works for a fraction of the real book cost (I think I paid $6 for a good copy of Calvin's Institutes), and anything out of copyright (pre-1923) for free). I don't care that it's a one-hit wonder, I can carry as many books as I want in my purse wherever I go, and it's already paid for itself.

I have over the years collected a large quantity of pdf books, iPad will be my new home for that collection when it's for sale. At the moment it's really difficult to curl up on the couch to read my iMac.

Chance that someone will steal your ipad? HIGH
Chance that someone will steal your paper, Puritan-written book? ALMOST NIL

I like the idea of it. I miss my iPhone. I think the iPad was a good idea due to the touch screen, etc while adding a little size. What other small thin devices are out there that have the same touch-screen function (with the same smoothness, etc.)? I ask in sincerity, because if it's cheaper than the iPad, then it's a viable option. I have no allegiance to Apple by any means. I just like innovation and free market capitalism.

The struggles between innovation vs. free market capitalism is affectionately known as the iTunes Store. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back