It's 28 degrees outside and I'm wearing a t-shirt and flipflops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenas

Snow Miser
Does anyone else have a strange affinity for the cold and being cold? I'm constantly remarked as being strange and mocked by my peers for my dress during the winter months because I don't wear shoes and rarely wear a jacket.

But I love it. I hate sweating and I hate being too warm or, worse, hot. I love being cold. A bit of a chill isn't a bother to me, I enjoy it in fact. Is there anyone else out there who enjoys the cold like I do? Or am I some sort of mutant? Or both?

I'm thinking about kicking you off the board just for being so strange. I need to talk to the Moderators about this.

Standby...

Memphis, TN? It's 28 degrees in TN? Well, come up here for a few days where the wind chill is AWAY below zero and WI will be your cure! You can even clear my driveway of snow with my brand new snowblower! If you get too cold you can squeeze you feet into my size 5 1/2 pair of boots! ;)

It was 24 degrees outside this morning in Mobile. I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt and a vest. I would rather be cool than hot. But, after suffering in a subarctic climate for a coupe of years where it would routinely be below zero with a blistering wind my affinity for cold is gone!

. . .
Is there anyone else out there who enjoys the cold like I do? Or am I some sort of mutant? Or both?

I'm thinking mutant. I have become more sensitive and averse to extremes in either direction, but tend to like it warmer rather than colder. It could be my age. :eek:

Does anyone else have a strange affinity for the cold and being cold?

I always think I miss it until I visit my mom in MS during a cold snap, then I realize that I just can't handle it any more. Something about the blood thinning and being in my 40s I guess.

I hate sweating and I hate being too warm or, worse, hot.

You are living in the wrong part of the country....as am I. I hate the Memphis summers, and it's unfortunate because Memphis only has two seasons: Summer, and not Summer.

Seb;

I always think I miss it until I visit my mom in MS during a cold snap, then I realize that I just can't handle it any more. Something about the blood thinning and being in my 40s I guess.

You don't have to go that far this year..you could make a trip just to your north this weekend and be reminded you can't handle it any more..as it's supposed to be in the 20's here this weekend..

I'm with Jim. It's -2 right now (almost up to our predicted high of -1). My heater works great. I'm inside. It's pretty from in here. It looses it's appeal from out there. I think I'll just stay in here for a while... like 4 months.

I agree. You're crazee!

For me, as soon as it drops below 70 degrees I'm putting on layers and jackets and whatever else to shield myself from the cold. I actually like being warm. :)
Maybe I'm the one who's weird.

You should see what I put on when I go to bed (or maybe not)... as well as the comforters and electric blanket, etc...

I hate sweating and I hate being too warm or, worse, hot.

You are living in the wrong part of the country....as am I. I hate the Memphis summers, and it's unfortunate because Memphis only has two seasons: Summer, and not Summer.

Just move on down the DEEP South where I live.

Actually, the summers in Memphis are hotter than they are here. Ours is just longer. (We only have not summer for about 25 minutes. That happened today ;) ) And, the humidity here is usually about the same. That being said, I still prefer Memphis to Mobile.

While we may not get the frozen stuff all that often and when it does come it is usually at some weird time, like Easter; the cold here when it does get cold is really pretty bad if you have to work in it. The cold, humidity and wind can cut you quickly. One of my best friends moved here from Illinois. He grew up in North Dakota. He figured that he'd never need a coat here. The cutting of the cold here took him completely off guard. At least the snot doesn't freeze in your sinuses here!

Seb;

You don't have to go that far this year..you could make a trip just to your north this weekend and be reminded you can't handle it any more..as it's supposed to be in the 20's here this weekend..

Brrrr... I think our snowbird numbers is about to go through the roof. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have a strange affinity for the cold and being cold? I'm constantly remarked as being strange and mocked by my peers for my dress during the winter months because I don't wear shoes and rarely wear a jacket.

But I love it. I hate sweating and I hate being too warm or, worse, hot. I love being cold. A bit of a chill isn't a bother to me, I enjoy it in fact. Is there anyone else out there who enjoys the cold like I do? Or am I some sort of mutant? Or both?
I'm the same way in that I sort of like the feeling of being cold (outdoors only), except that I start feeling cold when it's 60 at night.

Below 40, I'm miserable.

Oh well, we only usually have a month and a half of cold temperatures here, with some random 75 degree days to mix it up.

Seb;

Brrrr... I think our snowbird numbers is about to go through the roof. :rolleyes:

When my husband was home for lunch, he was watching the news and said the same thing..

I said, well, that would be okay, because they would need to spend money to get here and while they are here so it might help the state and local economy...LOL

I still love the cold, even when I'm frozen to the bones. As a child, I would go outside in the snow with no shoes or socks just so I could experience the sensation of icy cold snow on my bare feet.

I miss the snow, too, and I'm secretly wishing we'd get a lot of it here soon.

I still enjoy cold weather and the clothing that goes with it. I just don't like frigid weather and having to work all day in it. As a friend of mine recently said, 'I have snotcicles on my snotcicles.' That is too cold.

I never wear anything to heavy when it is 28 outside. I will try to be inside and airconditioned....

OH, wait a minute, you are talking Fahrenheit...

:oops:

Andrew,
I enjoy cold weather...I love winter and snow...BUT, it's 13 below zero here with 25 below wind chill. Tonight it's supposed to get down to close to 30 below with 35-40 below windchill. We've also had about 40 inches of snow in the past 6 weeks with 6 foot drifts and its only mid January! But I still love it! I've been snowshoeing a lot but am getting tired of shoveling and snow blowing. So....If you really love cold weather...come up and visit. Ask Benajmin Glaser about his visit.
BTW, I wear a parka when I'm outside...I think you might wear more than flip flops and a t-shirt up here!
Jim

I think a lot of you are crazy for not wearing coats! I love the feeling of putting on an old coat when the weather first turns cold. I could wear a sweater and jacket every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back