Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Puritan Board Freshman
I am talking to some Charismatics who say that the reason for Job's sufferings was Job's fear that those things would happen to him. They reason that Job's fear opened the door for the devil.

They use this scripture:

For the thing that I fear comes upon me,
and what I dread befalls me.
Job 3:25

I take Job to mean that the worst thing that he could possibly imagine had happened to him.

Am I missing something here?

Jared, I think your understanding of the text is spot on. These other folks however, are no better than Job's friends.

Jared, I think your understanding of the text is spot on. These other folks however, are no better than Job's friends.

I agree with my PB brother Wayne and say "ditto" and Amen brother!

I think that Job did have fears that led up to this. Consider that he sacrificed for his children just in case they sinned against God, and he did it continually...

And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, "It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts." Thus Job did continually. (Job 1:5)

So i do believe that Job had a fear of the Lord, but i would say it was a healthy fear...a fear in which Job recognized that God is holy and man is not, and that all things were good for him because it was in God's providence for them to be so more than it was in Job's hand to produce for himself some kind of prosperity.

The Scripture is clear what the reason for Job's suffering was, and that took place in the throne-room of Heaven, having nothing to do with his fear...so while i agree that Job feared, i think it was healthy and that it was not the impetus of his sufferings.

Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

a righteous man suffering and religious people all around him blaming him falsely and taking pride in their supposed knowledge of God.

old testament, new testament

also, my Scripture, God's Holy Word, states that Job was blameless and did not sin.

guess i'm not charismatic enough to overlook those terms and invent my own theory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back