Kenneth Gentry post millennialism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to define what "optimistic amil" really means? Classic amil – per Beale, Hendriksen, Dennis Johnson, Engelsma, etc – means that the church will become increasingly purified as it goes through persecution and adversity (for it will also suffer the same judgments / calamities the general culture will), and much chaff will be separated from the wheat as things get painful. In her suffering faithfulness and loyalty to Christ, the church will partake of His glory. The cultures of the world, apart from momentary reversals, will darken as the god of this world (small g) thinks to establish his vile kingdom, and to eradicate his Rival's people, globally.

Many have thought the name amillennialism poorly conceived, but it means no literal (i.e., premil) millennium. Present millennialism would also suffice.

Just as Christ Jesus triumphed over death through death – and resurrection – so shall we. Classic amil is optimistic about the church growing in purity and in glorious likeness to her husband and king.

Not really sure what other kind of optimism amils can hold to. Nor am I sure what Gentry thinks the postmil millennium will look like if it has no "golden" aspect to it.

Anyone care to define what "optimistic amil" really means? Classic amil – per Beale, Hendriksen, Dennis Johnson, Engelsma, etc – means that the church will become increasingly purified as it goes through persecution and adversity (for it will also suffer the same judgments / calamities the general culture will), and much chaff will be separated from the wheat as things get painful. In her suffering faithfulness and loyalty to Christ, the church will partake of His glory. The cultures of the world, apart from momentary reversals, will darken as the god of this world (small g) thinks to establish his vile kingdom, and to eradicate his Rival's people, globally.

I am not amil but I agree with every word of the above.

Steve, when I've used the term, I've meant a person who embraces an idealist reading of Revelation and believes that the majority of the world will be converted before Christ's return.
What's a good book for optimistic amil, Tyler? I recently purchased William Milligan's Revelation commentary, haven't yet begun it- any others?

Steve, when I've used the term, I've meant a person who embraces an idealist reading of Revelation and believes that the majority of the world will be converted before Christ's return.
Post Mil view this in same light also it would seem.

What's a good book for optimistic amil, Tyler? I recently purchased William Milligan's Revelation commentary, haven't yet begun it- any others?
I found Rushdoony's book, Thy Kingdom Come, helpful. Warfield's essay "The Millennium and the Apocalypse" is good. I'd also recommend Todd Russell's scripture readings through Revelation.

I know that Rushdoony and Warfield are typically classified as postmillennialists, but they both held to an idealist reading of Revelation.

I've wanted to get Milligan for a long time.

I found Rushdoony's book, Thy Kingdom Come, helpful. Warfield's essay "The Millennium and the Apocalypse" is good. I'd also recommend Todd Russell's scripture readings through Revelation.

I know that Rushdoony and Warfield are typically classified as postmillennialists, but they both held to an idealist reading of Revelation.

I've wanted to get Milligan for a long time.
Thanks for those recommendations. Milligan is $1 for Kindle on Amazon!

That would be mid trib position, as least as explained to me, as they hold to the Antichrist and wrath coming forth mid trib time.

It's not mid trib. Mid trib is mid trib. Prewrath happens at a specific time (which isn't in the middle of the tribulation)

Here are two discussions on Amillennialism and Idealism (with much reference to Milligan and his views, and also BB Warfield's), although it started as a postmil talk:

Postmillenialism: An Eschatology of Hope

And then the sequel:

Revelation: inspirational drama of poetic symbols, or multi-genre prophecy?

They're long, but maybe edifying and interesting to students of these things. The discussions involved many people, but with regard to aspects of Idealism mostly between MW (Rev Matthew Winzer) and myself. We here at PB suffer loss not having MW grace our discussions at this time. I learned a lot from having to oppose him—it was an education!

[I was once "prewrath premil" as Jacob says of himself now. A man by name of Marvin Rosenthal wrote a book by that title. But I changed to amil back in the late '80s or early '90s.]

Many have thought the name amillennialism poorly conceived, but it means no literal (i.e., premil) millennium. Present millennialism would also suffice.

Just as Christ Jesus triumphed over death through death – and resurrection – so shall we. Classic amil is optimistic about the church growing in purity and in glorious likeness to her husband and king.

Not really sure what other kind of optimism amils can hold to. Nor am I sure what Gentry thinks the postmil millennium will look like if it has no "golden" aspect to it.
As an optimistic Amill I believe that biblical Christianity will become the largest world religion, but I do not expect a political takeover.
Gentry does believe in a "golden age" he just doesn't agree with some post Mills that claim that the golden age will last the entirety of the millennium nor that it will b a literal thousand years.
I believe all of the things that a postmill believes except I don't believe in Any pre second Advent golden age. Optimistic Amillennialism is best explained in the parable of the mustard seed. We view the tree that the mustard seed grows into to be Christianity, but we disagree with the post Mills because it is clear that it isn't the Only tree in the garden.

As an optimistic Amill I believe that biblical Christianity will become the largest world religion, but I do not expect a political takeover.
Gentry does believe in a "golden age" he just doesn't agree with some post Mills that claim that the golden age will last the entirety of the millennium nor that it will b a literal thousand years.
I believe all of the things that a postmill believes except I don't believe in Any pre second Advent golden age. Optimistic Amillennialism is best explained in the parable of the mustard seed. We view the tree that the mustard seed grows into to be Christianity, but we disagree with the post Mills because it is clear that it isn't the Only tree in the garden.
Do main difference is postmil sees culture and society transformed by Gospel, while you see it more that individuals are changed?

Do main difference is postmil sees culture and society transformed by Gospel, while you see it more that individuals are changed?
The reason is because I do not believe that all Christians will vote the same way. Some are conservative and have no problem with morality laws; but some are more libertarian and see no point in passing morality laws when those laws have no effect on making people moral. Restrictions on abortion would obviously not be included here as a morality law, we all would like to see infanticide done away with. Laws are unnecessary for those that obey the law, and they are ignored by criminals.

That's a good way of putting it. Yes, that and the golden age would be the differences.
Interesting. I am Amill and really would like to be more optimistic about the future, but I do not see that in Scripture. Personally I do see the Church growing, but not in a straight incline and facing increasing persecution. The Church rises and falls as the persecution rises and falls, resulting in a purification effect, until an climax of evil and then Christ returns.

How do you see the tribulation and the birth pangs in the Olivet Discourse?

Interesting. I am Amill and really would like to be more optimistic about the future, but I do not see that in Scripture. Personally I do see the Church growing, but not in a straight incline and facing increasing persecution. The Church rises and falls as the persecution rises and falls, resulting in a purification effect, until an climax of evil and then Christ returns.

How do you see the tribulation and the birth pangs in the Olivet Discourse?

I believe that tribulation will occur throughout the church age, but most of the Olivet discourse has already occurred (AD70). I don't believe it will be a straight incline either, I believe that tares will always be among the wheat. I think we agree that persecution, when it occurs, always ultimately leads to a strengthening of the church. I also think that the great apostasy is going on now, but that apostasy is obviously not real Christians leaving. I think that apostasy began during the second great awakening, which largely was Not a true awakening.

In fact, does anyone know if there is a book about the second awakening being false? I know I've read some JMac where he questions it.

I believe that tribulation will occur throughout the church age, but most of the Olivet discourse has already occurred (AD70). I don't believe it will be a straight incline either, I believe that tares will always be among the wheat. I think we agree that persecution, when it occurs, always ultimately leads to a strengthening of the church. I also think that the great apostasy is going on now, but that apostasy is obviously not real Christians leaving. I think that apostasy began during the second great awakening, which largely was Not a true awakening.

In fact, does anyone know if there is a book about the second awakening being false? I know I've read some JMac where he questions it.
Sounds like we are very similar, I also hold to a pre-AD 70 dating of Revelation.

My eschatology is the last big chunk of my theology I am still figuring out, perhaps I am reading my own pessimism into the Text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back