Kenneth Gentry post millennialism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we are very similar, I also hold to a pre-AD 70 dating of Revelation.

My eschatology is the last big chunk of my theology I am still figuring out, perhaps I am reading my own pessimism into the Text.
What if it was written mid 90 though, would that affect your theology at all?
 
What if it was written mid 90 though, would that affect your theology at all?
That would be possible. It bothers me that there is no mention of the destruction of the temple anywhere in the NT, you would think that such a significant event would be recorded if it had already happened.
Reading the first chapters of Revelation with the temple destruction in mind seems to make sense.
I do admit my eschatology is still shaky. I wouldn’t be surprised if it changes, like many have over time.
 
Bahnsen. who agreed with Gentry and was his mentor, said that the difference between his postmillennialism and amillennialism is his belief that Scripture *promises* the victory of Christ on earth in history.
 
Bahnsen. who agreed with Gentry and was his mentor, said that the difference between his postmillennialism and amillennialism is his belief that Scripture *promises* the victory of Christ on earth in history.
Which is interesting, as a pril like myself see the Lord Jesus not reigning like that until He comes again, as before that event, see it pretty much same as a A Mil does concerning the Church and state of the world.
 
One (of many) problems with Post-Millennialism is that this would posit a third age, whereas the New Testament in many places says that we have but two ages to reckon with, “this present evil age” or simply “this age” (Gal 1:4; Luke 20:34), and “the age to come” (Matt 12:32; Luke 18:30). This age we are now in is the New Testament church age, and the age to come is that of eternal life for the saints, and everlasting destruction for the unsaved (2 Thess 1:9; Matt 25:46). No other ages, just those two. What is called the Amillennial or present millennium view says just that—there is one present age, and one to come. Post-Millennialism teaches against the Bible with its third age.

Theonomy, with its list of capital crimes, would be like a “Christian” version of Islam’s Sharia law. For the theocracy of ancient Israel, under God’s just standards in the law of Moses, it was just and appropriate, but in the age of grace, and for the civil and criminal law of all nations it is not.

A “for instance” : I am imagining myself to be in the fantasy world of a “Theonomic” dystopia – and I am accused of blasphemy because I am amillennial, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that Theonomy leaders “Gary North, Gary De Mar, Ken Gentry, and the other disciples of late Theonomy founder Rousas J. Rushdoony, would pronounce stoning to death just punishment for the few remaining uncompromising Reformed amillennialists, among others on their list, as blasphemers. For Rushdoony’s charge that Reformed amillennialism is ‘blasphemy’ see his article ‘Postmillennialism versus Impotent Religion’ in the Journal of Christian Reconstruction 3, no. 2 (Winter, 1976-77): 126, 127 .” * https://www.garynorth.com/JCR-W76-77.pdf

Remarks from Rushdoony’s article on “Impotent Religion” (i.e., Amillennialism and Dispensationalism):

“Amillennialism and premillennialism are in retreat from the world and blasphemously surrender it to the devil. . . To turn the world-conquering word of the sovereign, omnipotent, and triune God into a symbol of impotence is not a mark of faith. It is blasphemy.”​

Could not many of us Biblically sound and godly Amillennials (among many other groups) be marked for capital punishment under such a Theonomic regime, per its founder?

* Cited in David J. Engelsma’s article in the Protestant Reformed Theological Journal, “The Messianic Kingdom and Civil Government” (see endnote #16) http://bit.ly/31IauIh

For more contra Postmillennialism, see Engelsma’s, A Defense of (Reformed) Amillennialism: https://www.prca.org/articles/amillennialism.html
 
and I am accused of blasphemy because I am amillennial, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that Theonomy leaders “Gary North, Gary De Mar, Ken Gentry, and the other disciples of late Theonomy founder Rousas J. Rushdoony, would pronounce stoning to death just punishment for the few remaining uncompromising Reformed amillennialists,

While this might seem extreme, at one time in Joe Morecraft's church you had to be theonomic and postmil in order to be an officer.
 
A “for instance” : I am imagining myself to be in the fantasy world of a “Theonomic” dystopia – and I am accused of blasphemy because I am amillennial, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that Theonomy leaders “Gary North, Gary De Mar, Ken Gentry, and the other disciples of late Theonomy founder Rousas J. Rushdoony, would pronounce stoning to death just punishment for the few remaining uncompromising Reformed amillennialists, among others on their list, as blasphemers. For Rushdoony’s charge that Reformed amillennialism is ‘blasphemy’ see his article ‘Postmillennialism versus Impotent Religion’ in the Journal of Christian Reconstruction 3, no. 2 (Winter, 1976-77): 126, 127 .” * https://www.garynorth.com/JCR-W76-77.pdf

Remarks from Rushdoony’s article on “Impotent Religion” (i.e., Amillennialism and Dispensationalism):

“Amillennialism and premillennialism are in retreat from the world and blasphemously surrender it to the devil. . . To turn the world-conquering word of the sovereign, omnipotent, and triune God into a symbol of impotence is not a mark of faith. It is blasphemy.”
Could not many of us Biblically sound and godly Amillennials (among many other groups) be marked for capital punishment under such a Theonomic regime, per its founder?

* Cited in David J. Engelsma’s article in the Protestant Reformed Theological Journal, “The Messianic Kingdom and Civil Government” (see endnote #16) http://bit.ly/31IauIh

For more contra Postmillennialism, see Engelsma’s, A Defense of (Reformed) Amillennialism: https://www.prca.org/articles/amillennialism.html

While I am no defender of modern Reconstructionism, in Gary North's commentary on Leviticus he repudiated R. J. Rushdoony's claim that amillennialism was blasphemy. Dr North stated that "Rushdoony is categorically wrong to invoke the charge of blasphemy against all amillennialists and premillennialists ..." (p. 371n9). I suspect that the likes of Ken Gentry and Gary DeMar would agree with Gary North on this issue. Still, for a man like R. J. Rushdoony, who believed in capital punishment for blasphemy, to call an eschatological perspective which he disagrees with "blasphemy" is a great evil.
 
One (of many) problems with Post-Millennialism is that this would posit a third age, whereas the New Testament in many places says that we have but two ages to reckon with, “this present evil age” or simply “this age” (Gal 1:4; Luke 20:34), and “the age to come” (Matt 12:32; Luke 18:30). This age we are now in is the New Testament church age, and the age to come is that of eternal life for the saints, and everlasting destruction for the unsaved (2 Thess 1:9; Matt 25:46). No other ages, just those two. What is called the Amillennial or present millennium view says just that—there is one present age, and one to come. Post-Millennialism teaches against the Bible with its third age.

Theonomy, with its list of capital crimes, would be like a “Christian” version of Islam’s Sharia law. For the theocracy of ancient Israel, under God’s just standards in the law of Moses, it was just and appropriate, but in the age of grace, and for the civil and criminal law of all nations it is not.

A “for instance” : I am imagining myself to be in the fantasy world of a “Theonomic” dystopia – and I am accused of blasphemy because I am amillennial, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that Theonomy leaders “Gary North, Gary De Mar, Ken Gentry, and the other disciples of late Theonomy founder Rousas J. Rushdoony, would pronounce stoning to death just punishment for the few remaining uncompromising Reformed amillennialists, among others on their list, as blasphemers. For Rushdoony’s charge that Reformed amillennialism is ‘blasphemy’ see his article ‘Postmillennialism versus Impotent Religion’ in the Journal of Christian Reconstruction 3, no. 2 (Winter, 1976-77): 126, 127 .” * https://www.garynorth.com/JCR-W76-77.pdf

Remarks from Rushdoony’s article on “Impotent Religion” (i.e., Amillennialism and Dispensationalism):

“Amillennialism and premillennialism are in retreat from the world and blasphemously surrender it to the devil. . . To turn the world-conquering word of the sovereign, omnipotent, and triune God into a symbol of impotence is not a mark of faith. It is blasphemy.”​

Could not many of us Biblically sound and godly Amillennials (among many other groups) be marked for capital punishment under such a Theonomic regime, per its founder?

* Cited in David J. Engelsma’s article in the Protestant Reformed Theological Journal, “The Messianic Kingdom and Civil Government” (see endnote #16) http://bit.ly/31IauIh

For more contra Postmillennialism, see Engelsma’s, A Defense of (Reformed) Amillennialism: https://www.prca.org/articles/amillennialism.html
Has anyone showed how Reconstructionism and Dominion theology are alike?
 
I've been prewrath premil for about 3 years now. I was historic premil for the previous 5 or so.

[I was once "prewrath premil" as Jacob says of himself now. A man by name of Marvin Rosenthal wrote a book by that title. But I changed to amil back in the late '80s or early '90s.]

I noticed an article posted by Gary Demar on American Vision today on this topic ("prewrath premil"). Though unrelated to the OP per se, I thought it might be of interest to others.

https://americanvision.org/21396/pre-wrath-v-dispensationalism-the-rapture-is-a-package-deal/
 
I noticed an article posted by Gary Demar on American Vision today on this topic ("prewrath premil"). Though unrelated to the OP per se, I thought it might be of interest to others.

https://americanvision.org/21396/pre-wrath-v-dispensationalism-the-rapture-is-a-package-deal/

While I am anti-preterism, this is a decent summary. Of course, Demar should take up Kurschner's numerous offers on debate.
https://www.alankurschner.com/2019/...n-vision-turns-down-public-debate-invitation/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top