Anyone who wants can try to read and study Greek. But, when it comes to criticizing the work of others, someone's knowledge needs at least to be equal to that of those whose work they are criticizing.
Is this true just for the KJV, or does this apply to other versions as well? Should a person's knowledge of Greek,etc be at least equal to those who translated the NIV before they criticize criticize the NIV?
Excellent point. It is a pleasure to chat on such a serious board, and have at least one or two of my points responded to.
Someone who says that the NIV has translated the Greek wrongly should have a knowledge of Greek equal to those whose work they are translating. However, I believe that the KJV translators had a knowledge of Greek that was far superior to that of the modern translators. They were much more comfortable with the whole range of Greek literature, and received much more rigorous educations while young. They learned Latin and read classical authors as little kids, and did not have many of the modern evils such as TV and movies and pop music to trivialize the mind. Also they had more reverence for the word, and adopted dynamic equavalents only when truly necessary (saying Mary was "with child" instead of "having in the womb") and not every time they thought they should make it simpler for the reader. They also had a limited number of accurate manuscripts provided by God's providence and were not deceived by Sinaiticus and other useless distractions.
So now we have to not merely criticize a translation based on our knowledge of Greek alone, but to judge between two of them. This is a little different.
Then, when James White says the KJV is wrong in Acts 19:2 because it speaks of receiving the Holy Spirit subsequently to believing instead of simultaneously, and I look at Ephesians 1:13 and Acts 8:12, 17, and I wonder if White knows what he is talking about, I find myself on the level not of Greek but of spiritual insight. I am sadly deficient in this area with a limited knowledge of scripture, but I think White is hopelessly wrong here and does not know what he is talking about. So, in many instances, I do not have to criticize the NIV, I have to criticize criticisms of the KJV's Greek, in areas that go beyond mere grammar and enter into things of the Spirit.
Anyway, this is very complex. More needs to be said about this not being a matter of scholarship only, but of spirituality and a walk with Christ, and sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit. In this area, I do not have a high opinion of the spirituality of people who say that a Gospel account of the resurrection of Jesus is not authentic.