Laptops during SS class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Koster

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Tomorrow I am going to bring a laptop to SS with my lesson in memory. Has anyone else done this? Is this bad "teacher's etiquette"? Is this a good way of showing others available tools and helps? Is it wrong to depend on technology to help me with my lesson for answering on the spot questions, or should I save them for a later discussion? I'm talking about quick scripture references, not long, deep answers because I know that would make things drag. I'm looking forward to your thoughts, pro or con, on the matter.
 
I would suggest printing out your notes for the lecture, and using the laptop only as a reference source. Or put your outline on the computer if you can plug it into a projection system, lecture from the outline, and let the group follow along on the outline.

But if you are planning to read from the laptop, it might not be the most engaging presentation.
 
I would suggest printing out your notes for the lecture, and using the laptop only as a reference source. Or put your outline on the computer if you can plug it into a projection system, lecture from the outline, and let the group follow along on the outline.

But if you are planning to read from the laptop, it might not be the most engaging presentation.

I don't know - wouldn't be any worse than Jonathan Edwards's preaching :)

Seriously though I wouldn't use it unless you were projecting your outline and/or references. Otherwise, leave it at home.
 
I don't have a huge problem with it, as long as it does not hamper your interaction with the students. I have used a laptop (and projector) with Power Point on Wednesday evenings before. As long as you are using it for points and you aren't too tied to your notes, it should be ok.

I wouldnt' recommend that preachers bring a laptop to the pulpit, however. ;)
 
I don't have a huge problem with it, as long as it does not hamper your interaction with the students. I have used a laptop (and projector) with Power Point on Wednesday evenings before. As long as you are using it for points and you aren't too tied to your notes, it should be ok.

I wouldnt' recommend that preachers bring a laptop to the pulpit, however. ;)

No? How would you be able to show YouTube clips if you didn't though?
 
I agree with the taking notes aspect. I have atrocious handwriting (I can't even read my own handwriting sometimes). Taking notes on a laptop is faster, more legible, wastes less paper, etc.
 
Check some of the office places like Staples or Office Depot. A lot of times they will have projectors on clearance in the store. You might be able to get a great deal on one.
 
I've experimented with using a laptop in SS class. Sometimes just reading from my notes (good), other times with smaller groups, turning it around for them to see a prepared Power Point (better) and then with larger groups I've also had access to using a projector (best). Being in business, I personally feel using a laptop with a PowerPoint presentation is very professional and buttoned down, however for presenting matters that speak to the heart it sometimes is lacking in that personal touch.
 
Check some of the office places like Staples or Office Depot. A lot of times they will have projectors on clearance in the store. You might be able to get a great deal on one.

After the earlier suggestions I saw they sell led projectors for $350 or less. I don't know how dark of a room you need to use one, but the life expectancy seems much longer than the expensive bulb type. Any insight or warnings on these?:detective: I never saw one in use yet.
 
Last edited:
I've actually preached several times using a laptop. It has almost always been when I am traveling and have not had access to a printer, although now I have been finding that many hotels have printing services, so that has become less of a problem when traveling.

It's quiet, lays down flat, and I get there early and set it in the pulpit so that it does not become a distraction. People don't even know that it is there until after the service is over and they may see me slip it into my bag behind the pulpit. It basically serves as electronic paper.

Just make certain that you have a full charge the night before.
 
Check some of the office places like Staples or Office Depot. A lot of times they will have projectors on clearance in the store. You might be able to get a great deal on one.

After the earlier suggestions I saw they sell led projectors for $350 or less. I don't know how dark of a room you need to use one, but the life expectancy seems much longer than the expensive bulb type. Any insight or warnings on these?:detective: I never saw one in use yet.

I don't have much insight to offer. The one at our church was purchased before I ever got here. It's a Sony, so it's good quality. The only "negative" is that sometimes there's a problem switching over from computer to overhead display (and being able to see both simultaneously). I think that's a laptop problem (and laptop operator problem!), though.

Adam, I would have no problems with the laptop in the situation you just described, especially since it's not a distraction. You are correct -- it's little more than electronic paper.
 
I have sat in Sunday School classes where laptops were used. Often they were just used for notes but sometimes they were used to present Powerpoints. In both settings they were really large SS classes. For one class on Church History I did take my laptop to take notes, but sometimes that is hard if no outlets are around.
 
Rich, the missus pointed out to me that you were asking about an LED projector. Ours is one of the bulb kind. My opinion isn't going to be very helpful (even less so), I'm afraid.
 
Rich, the missus pointed out to me that you were asking about an LED projector. Ours is one of the bulb kind. My opinion isn't going to be very helpful (even less so), I'm afraid.

Not a problem. My interest in the led technology is because in a former congregation we had a bulb type projector. It worked great except for this nasty habit of going dark from time to time. The bulbs were (if I remember correctly) $150 with shipping.

-----Added 4/18/2009 at 08:53:52 EST-----

Check some of the office places like Staples or Office Depot. A lot of times they will have projectors on clearance in the store. You might be able to get a great deal on one.

After the earlier suggestions I saw they sell led projectors for $350 or less. I don't know how dark of a room you need to use one, but the life expectancy seems much longer than the expensive bulb type. Any insight or warnings on these?:detective: I never saw one in use yet.

I don't have much insight to offer. The one at our church was purchased before I ever got here. It's a Sony, so it's good quality. The only "negative" is that sometimes there's a problem switching over from computer to overhead display (and being able to see both simultaneously). I think that's a laptop problem (and laptop operator problem!), though.

Adam, I would have no problems with the laptop in the situation you just described, especially since it's not a distraction. You are correct -- it's little more than electronic paper.

We used an electronic switch box. That way the two units don't get hung up. I think the problem we had was that the lyrics were on Mac and the video was PC (or vice-versa)
 
We have a Sunday school teacher for the adults, who uses a lap top plus he brings in a flat screen TV and uses it with his lap top. It's not a large flat screen, he can carry it under one arm.

The only problem I have with him, is when he refers to scripture we all get to the verse using our bibles faster than he does with the computer. He tends to get lost quite a bit using his lap top.

So I would say use it as long as you know how to use it.
 
I always use my laptop when I teach. I've done a lot of research that is not necessarily part of the lesson, but I allow discussion during the class (iron sharpening iron) and it helps a lot for me to have all the information at my fingertips if the class has questions on a topic that I only planned on touching a little. It might be that the lesson isn't what I planned, but if it covers what is needed, I think of it as better than what I thought would be important.

It also lets me quickly jump from one place in the Bible to another without little slips of paper, or sticky notes in pages. And again allows for more fluid presentation if you need to bring in additional references if someone asks a question. Not only have I done this as a teacher, but I've done it as a student ... and it was a welcome aid during class to have me do a search for a verse to find it, and even have the Greek/Hebrew word available for those that know the original languages if they ask "do you know if the word in the Greek was ____ or ____ in the passage?"

I think of it as a wonderful tool not only for teaching, but as you said, to help those that don't have a computer version of the Bible to understand the benefits of having a good one (like having 7 or 8 versions of the Bible to compare translations).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top