lent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here really want to try to imitate the acts of the Holy Messiah during his earthly ministry?

Yes. I do.

I want to be Christ to my wife, and my children, and to my neighbor.

Jesus went away to pray and fast, so why shouldn't fathers ? Are they not fighting spiritual battles over their households ?

1Co 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

Eph 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

1Th 1:6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit,

Heb 6:12 so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Robin: The event has different elements to it. the redemptive event is not repeatable. However there is another dimension. Christ was going through trial and facing temptation. We see how he prepared for it. He fatsed for 40 days.

If we want to face trials and temptations, we too should fast. As I understand Calvin did this often, and not just for mourning. We see fasting often, such as before officers are ordained. We also see other forms of withdrawl in order to improve prayer. For example, from 1 Cor. 7: "The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer."

Originally posted by Saiph
Any Lutherans on the board want to comment on Lent ??

Well how about an Anglican instead of a Lutheran?
We see no reason to depart from what had been traditionally done in the Church unless it is expressly condemned in Scripture. Article 20 of the 39 Articles says the Church has the authority to decree forms of worship and ceremonies.

Originally posted by yeutter
Originally posted by Saiph
Any Lutherans on the board want to comment on Lent ??

Well how about an Anglican instead of a Lutheran?
We see no reason to depart from what had been traditionally done in the Church unless it is expressly condemned in Scripture. Article 20 of the 39 Articles says the Church has the authority to decree forms of worship and ceremonies.

And you also follow the Normative Principle of Worship, which the Reformed and Presbyterians reject.

And you also follow the Normative Principle of Worship, which the Reformed and Presbyterians reject.

I am a Presbyterian who thinks the Normative principle is more biblical.

Am I not reformed then ? Is J.I. Packer not reformed ?

Originally posted by Scott
Robin: The event has different elements to it. the redemptive event is not repeatable. However there is another dimension. Christ was going through trial and facing temptation. We see how he prepared for it. He fatsed for 40 days.

If we want to face trials and temptations, we too should fast. As I understand Calvin did this often, and not just for mourning. We see fasting often, such as before officers are ordained. We also see other forms of withdrawl in order to improve prayer. For example, from 1 Cor. 7: "The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer."

These are obvious :deadhorse: ....however, my point is possibly being obscured by self-interests?

Can we reflect on thoughts about what the Lord was doing to vidicate His name; engage Satan; accomplish the OT prophecies and the works required by the duties of God's faithful Viceroy, as Christ was fulfilling the requirement of good works needed to save sinners?

Is it me or does it seems like there is endless focus on our SELVES as we read Scripture? I just want to get to the God part....(I already know 8 things I could do (for example.) When do we get to study about Jesus without tying things into what we get TO DO?

And, I beg to disagree with the "shoulds." Should means what? If either I can't or won't fast, that trial will overtake me? Should I be worried I'm not strong, smart or obedient enough to do XYZ in order that I gain a favorable prayer life? (Should is different than can, btw.)

I thought Christ has already done ALL the work. Isn't THAT the good news?

Nope...I'm not buying into a yoke heavier than Christ, and will set my sights on Him.

Christ's wilderness trial is not connected to Lent. The burden of proof lies on those who say it does. Just because an application can be drawn doesn't mean it should or that it is the right one.

Free in Christ and with respect,

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back