Life advice for a single man

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one

Puritan Board Freshman
First off, I wanted to thank you all for the opportunity to be apart of this board as it has been a great aid to my Christian life. The question I wanted to ask is what advice would you give to a single man who is finishing up school and working part time. How would you recommend they spend their free time? Thank you all for your time and input.

- Cultivate a habit of daily prayer and scripture reading. A resolution could be: no breakfast if you did not spent time in prayer / in the Word first.
- Read good books (eg Calvins Institutes, Thomas Boston - Human nature, in its fourfold state, Bunyans Pilgrims Progress, etcetera)
- Set apart time for physical excersise. Good for your mental an physical health.
- Invest in relations with mature believers.
- Serve in your church. As the apostle Paul says, the time that you are not married (yet), you can be more devoted to the Lord (1 Corinthians 7:31-35). This will be the best preperation for a future marriage, the Lord willing.

I am sure others will have good advice as well.

Work, work, work. Make sure you are exhausted at the end of the day and fall asleep quickly. Devote all of Sunday to fellowship and worship.

Join a church, attend it faithfully, and serve it as you are able.

Pray every morning, noon, and evening.
- Pray for the salvation of your friends and family.
- Pray for the gifts and calling of your Pastor / Elders
- Pray for the wellbeing and sanctification of your fellow church members.

Work diligently at whatever job you work at.

Live a holy life. Avoid people that are prone to carousing and fast living.

If you smoke, quit. If you drink, do it in moderation.

Talk to your mother and father as much as you are able, when you are able, if they are alive.

Forgive often.

Be quick to apologize and slow to blame.

Temper your tongue.

Treat all women you know who are not blood related to you as if they were your sister or your cousin.

Stick up for the weak and the defenseless. Speak up for the voiceless.

First off, I wanted to thank you all for the opportunity to be apart of this board as it has been a great aid to my Christian life. The question I wanted to ask is what advice would you give to a single man who is finishing up school and working part time. How would you recommend they spend their free time? Thank you all for your time and input.
One of the greatest blessings in life is to be converted when young.
Those of us that were born again when we were 50, look back on a devastated life of sin, filled with nothing but sorrow and regret.
Seek the LORD's Will in every aspect of your life. Seek His face 1st thing every morning in prayer and. meditation on Scripture.
Start a discipline of systematic Scripture memorizing and this will enable you to meditate and ponder GOD's Word as you go about your day. His WORD keeps us from sin.
Above all, Honor your parents. I cannot overemphasize how much this pleases the LORD.

Spend a lot of time reading the Bible and praying. Find a good church and serve diligently. Find an older man who is willing to mentor you. Don't spend too much time watching sports. Get to bed by 10 pm and be up by 6 am. Take it upon yourself to learn important life skills - some basic gardening, auto, home repair, etc. Even watching youtube videos is helpful. I am 30 and now married. I wish I had done more of what I described above in my 20s when single.

Spend all your time right here on the Puritan Board. :banana:

One of my greatest regrets is my sloth.

He's cute, sure, but he just hangs from the ceiling fan most of the day. When he wants to poo, I have to get up on a little step ladder to get him down. It's a hassle, and once I nearly broke my neck. If you do get a pet, don't get something exotic.

I've also been lazy.

If you play video games, stop. It's best to cut out TV, too. Limit your entertainment to a movie a month or something like that. These days people are so obsessed with diversions. Spend your time in good books.

Get in a habit of regular prayer.

Recognize that when you have a family of your own, you'll have to be leading them in family worship.

If you play video games, stop.

200.gif

I have a question on books sir, their is so much biblical content out there how do I choose which books to read?

I have a question on books sir, their is so much biblical content out there how do I choose which books to read?
We are very blessed today with many quality Reformed books. To answer your question, I would say read the books that meet your deepest spiritual need at present. Ask yourself in what specific area do I need to grow at resent?
Here are a few guidelines to help:
1. Read the Puritans. They will give you some of the best spiritual nourishment. The Banner of Truth 'Puritan Paperback' series, or Reformation Heritage Books 'Puritan Treasures for Today' are good places to start.
2. Others have given important advice on reading and memorising scripture. A vitally important spiritual discipline is meditation on scripture. There are a number of helpful books on this: Joel Beeke's 'How can I practice Christian meditation'? or David Saxton's 'God's battle plan for the mind: the Puritan practice of Biblical meditation' are excellent places to start. One of the best Puritan works on Biblical meditation is 'A Christian on the Mount' by Thomas Watson. Puritan Publicans, a sister ministry of the Puritan Board, publishes one of the best editions of this work https://www.puritanpublications.com...tian-on-the-mount-by-thomas-watson-1620-1686/

I advise you gather up a group of friends and go out hiking and having fun together. Allow yourself some downtime and fun time or you will reach burnout stage. Yes, take Christ seriously and study to know God. Interaction with others is important also. That is where Iron can sharpen Iron and fellowship can grow. Those times will always stay with you as will your time in your studies. Just my humble opinion

In addition to all of the good advice that everyone else has given:
-Learn to do and love doing difficult things. ( I know this was already suggested but I am speaking of auto/home repair and the such. And you can throw in traditional bow hunting for good measure.)
-Learn jujitsu
-Pray, read Scripture, Pray, read Scripture, Pray, Read Scripture
-Before picking up a book to read ask a grounded, faithful, older brother in the Lord with sound doctrine for recommendations.
-Figure out which historic confession that Scripture and your conscience hold to be true and subscribe to it.
-Think about what catechism you will teach your future children and study it now.
-Learn to cook (this will impress your future wife and it's better than eating packaged ramen.)

Just a few suggestions.

In addition to the great advice offered above, here are a few practical tips I wish someone had shared with me:

Spend a lot of time outdoors. Develop some hobbies, some challenging and some mindless, that you'll be able to continue as you age. Fishing, shooting, woodwork, for example.

Buy 30 year term life insurance. If you are healthy it will be dirt cheap at your age. Name parents or sibling as beneficiary for now. That can be changed later. There are lots of options. Doesn't need to be for a lot. You can get more if/when wife & kids come into the picture.

Open an IRA, preferably a Roth if your income allows it. Don't need to go crazy but put as much in as able. Compounding interest is a beautiful thing.

Develop a backup/side income skill while you have the time. This could be a lot of things. Get a CDL for example.

Generally, seek to develop yourself into the type of man you would be thrilled to have your daughter marry. Not to make finding a spouse an idol, but because those will be godly characteristics that will serve you and the world around you well, whether you marry or not.

In addition to all of the good advice that everyone else has given:
-Learn to do and love doing difficult things. ( I know this was already suggested but I am speaking of auto/home repair and the such. And you can throw in traditional bow hunting for good measure.)
-Learn jujitsu
-Pray, read Scripture, Pray, read Scripture, Pray, Read Scripture
-Before picking up a book to read ask a grounded, faithful, older brother in the Lord with sound doctrine for recommendations.
-Figure out which historic confession that Scripture and your conscience hold to be true and subscribe to it.
-Think about what catechism you will teach your future children and study it now.
-Learn to cook (this will impress your future wife and it's better than eating packaged ramen.)

Just a few suggestions.
Wow, this is wonderful advice thankyou

In addition to the great advice offered above, here are a few practical tips I wish someone had shared with me:

Spend a lot of time outdoors. Develop some hobbies, some challenging and some mindless, that you'll be able to continue as you age. Fishing, shooting, woodwork, for example.

Buy 30 year term life insurance. If you are healthy it will be dirt cheap at your age. Name parents or sibling as beneficiary for now. That can be changed later. There are lots of options. Doesn't need to be for a lot. You can get more if/when wife & kids come into the picture.

Open an IRA, preferably a Roth if your income allows it. Don't need to go crazy but put as much in as able. Compounding interest is a beautiful thing.

Develop a backup/side income skill while you have the time. This could be a lot of things. Get a CDL for example.

Generally, seek to develop yourself into the type of man you would be thrilled to have your daughter marry. Not to make finding a spouse an idol, but because those will be godly characteristics that will serve you and the world around you well, whether you marry or not.
I concur with the life insurance and opening either a Roth IRA or putting as much as you can into a 401k. Especially if the employer matches, it's free money.

What about women who call themselves christian is there any character trait you would advise I watch out of for and I see it for make a run for the hills.

Wow awesome advice. Any financial products I should be wary of and avoid?
I don't know how old you are but if you're younger than 50 I would say talk with a financial planner and I guarantee you they'll advise mutual funds of some sort with a relatively high risk level (ie all stocks as opposed to bonds). If you are in things for the long haul, which if you're young you are, an all stock high risk mutual fund is going to double your money every 7 years regardless of economic downturns.

Despite last years stock sell off, my investments have nearly doubled. I only look in on them occasionally, I'm not retiring for another 20 years. We're going to go through 3-4 boom bust cycles before I retire and my money in investments today will likely triple, to say nothing of what I put into my 401k over the next 20 years.

Keep in mind that despite all the doom and gloom attached to stock market busts (ie the great depression and great recession) the Dow rebounded in a matter of a year or two which means stocks as a long term investment did fine. If you were someone buying and selling individual stocks and lost everything on one stock you may jump out the window but in long term mutual funds your worry is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back