Looking for insight & suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickened

Puritan Board Senior
Hello there PB members! Allow me to give a brief insight into things

When i was first saved i noticed a lot of people that were extremely dependent on books that were outside of scripture. Your typical housewife reading Joyce Myers or someone reading on how to gain prosperity. Sigh. So my view was a bit tarnished. Fast forward to today and i notice that there are some things out there actually worth reading!

*Cue *gasp* from studio audience*

Recently i acquired The Treasury of David by Spurgeon. Its a great study tool.

As i was reading through 2 Timothy i kind of wished that there was something for this book. But why then stop there? If it aids a good Godly study then press forward i say! But where to start? Whom to read?

Do you have any suggestions? I know of Calvin's commentary, Ryle's thoughts on the Gospels, and AW Pink's expositions of Hebrews. These i plan on attaining. So when i feel drawn to study a certain book or set of scriptures for study i can take a look at commentaries and dwell on those things aswell.

I hope i worded this well enough.... my mind tends to tangent :)

I guess i didnt really know where to start and while browsing the internet (Christianbook, heritage books) i came across names i didnt know.

I hear Joel Osteen and Rick Warren are pretty helpful in their books Your Best Lie Now and The Porpoise-Drivel Lie. :p

I was VERY sorely tempted to put Joel Osteen and Rick Warren together in elf suits on the ElfYourself™ : Brought to you by OfficeMax® site (see this silly thread) for a duet dance... but alas, I then read the posting instructions and thought better of it - but OH, that would have been fun! (I also had wicked thoughts of doing a Benny Hill / Benny Hinn duo, and the Fantastic Foursome of Wilkins, Wilson, Wright and Leithart... but the courage left me) :)

Josh posted links to some of the primary commentaries on the Bible that I would recommend (Matthew Henry, John Calvin). For commentaries on specific books of the Bible, I would recommend checking out Charles Spurgeon's Commenting & Commentaries or The Essential Commentaries for a Preacher's Library (2006) by Derek Thomas and John Tweeddale or check out some of the threads in the commentary forum or scripture portion of the links manager here. I have posted links to many good commentaries that are useful for study.

Also these threads in particular:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f78/thomas-murphy-commentaries-24394/

http://www.puritanboard.com/f78/george-herbert-use-commentaries-18114/

And of course I recommend Matthew Poole (see the link in my signature). ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back