Men with supernatural powers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we need to define supernatural. I do not believe that the Devil is omnipotent nor omniscient as our Lord. I do believe he can do things we can't and things that are outside of our natural bounds. I do believe he can be given permission to do things above and outside of their natural order. Just like the snake and stick thing.

Evidently an angel use to come and stir a pool and people would be healed.

(Joh 5:4) For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

Another situation that is supernatural is when Peter Walked on the Water. A mere man walking on Water is out of natural bounds. I believe that other men are granted that power and can be given the abilities to do certain things that defy nature. They don't even have to know God. And they will be judged for their wickedness based upon the talents they have. I believe that the demons and devils work in a realm that is above nature and they abuse those gifts and talents.

Well, let's review. I'm saying that the plain reading of the text signifies that what they did was supernatural. They only argument I've noticed against this is that magicians in Las Vegas do some of the same things which is clearly reading into the text. This obviously did not give the magicians any credence (as I've pointed out). They weren't even deceived, they were deluded at first but later admitted that what Moses did was by the hand of God. Pharaoh doesn't seem to have been deceived either but he used the magicians as an excuse for pride and disobedience. I won't pretend to have it figured out, but if, as the Bible teaches, that God does send delusions as judgment, then I see no problem with this interpretation.

As far as supernaturalism goes, it seems best to distinguish. God can work above, without, and against means. I'm hesitant to ascribe that to any created being. But that doesn't mean that demons, or angels, can't employ means largely inaccesible to us. That wouldn't, strictly speaking, be supernatural, since it is in accord with their created nature: but it could produce results startling to us.

I guess great minds think alike.

Summa Theologica

Article. 4 - Whether angels can work miracles?
Although the angels can do something which is outside the order of corporeal nature, yet they cannot do anything outside the whole created order, which is essential to a miracle.

More likely small minds dimly remember something they read, without remembering that they read it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back