Modern Systematic Theologies, Which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Graduate
Which modern Systematic Theology work would you recommend if I had to choose only one?
Thanks.
 
I haven't finished the whole thing yet, but based on my impression so far and others I've read, Beeke and Smalley's would probably be at the top of my list.
 
I haven't finished the whole thing yet, but based on my impression so far and others I've read, Beeke and Smalley's would probably be at the top of my list.
That makes very good sense to me as I've read and listened to a number of Beeke's messages, sermons, and books and found them all sound and edifying.
Thanks

I'll wait and see what anybody else may suggest before I make a decision.
 
Beeke and Smalley is at the top for me, for modern STs. And the new one-volume edition is excellent too. Today is the last day you can get the ebook for only $4.99 on crossway, with crossway+ (which is free to signup for).
 
Beeke and Smalley is at the top for me, for modern STs. And the new one-volume edition is excellent too. Today is the last day you can get the ebook for only $4.99 on crossway, with crossway+ (which is free to signup for).
Thanks for the heads up. Even though it will cost me more I will probably see if Logos has the book as I try to bring everything into Logos as rule.
[automerge]1767891086[/automerge]
Is the systematic Theology a four-volume set? As it turns out I already own volume 1.
 
There's not really a contest, Beeke is basically a 21st century Puritan systematic theology. You get all of the best doctrine summarised into one body of divinity, not to mention application that addresses modern day controversies such as the enlightenment, evolution, and the like. He's the only modern systematic worth having in my highly opinionated opinion.
 
Upon a further look, I already own volumes 1 to 3. That ought to give me enough to do before I lay down the $50-some bucks for volume 4.
 
I started Beeke and Smalley and whilst it is really good it is also very long! They have brought out a condensed single volume edition now.
[automerge]1767893615[/automerge]
I was about to post a thread about which systematic to tackle next so maybe this is a sign i should return to B&S :book2:
 
Which modern Systematic Theology work would you recommend if I had to choose only one?
Thanks.
Here is a good one from Reformed Baptist Perspective
Nichols, Gregory – Lectures in Systematic Theology, vol. 1 (God), 2 (Man), 3 (Christ)
John Frame Systematic theology
 
I like to have many on my shelves to refer to as everyone covers certain areas more than most.

That said, I regularly rely on Robert Reymond's A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith. I like that he follows the Westminster Standards on the whole.

I also have quoted more than others RC Sproul's 3 volume Truths We Confess commentary on the Westminster Standards.

Though not exactly contemporary, hard to go wrong with Louis Berkof's Systematic Theology also (it ends up being my other go-to with Reymond though I like to consult many).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top