Moving to Northern VA.....need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsHinrichs

Inactive User
My husband's company is wanting him to move to VA. We currently live in Dallas. His company is located in Herndon and he has a data center in Vienna that he would need to be able to get to as needed. We are looking to rent. It is our understanding that prices are much higher there for housing. We would like a minimum 3/2/2 but we would like a 4/2. We would prefer to not live in the city. We understand that rural areas may be hard to come by. But a smaller older town would be perfectly fine with us. I don't know if you have mobile homes out there or not but that is fine with us also. As long as it nice homey and a place that we can have friends and my husbands co-workers over to fellowship is what matters most to us. I guess one other thing does matter. We want to be within an hours drive of my husbands work location.

I appreciate any help that anyone in the area can give us. We will be moving the first of May and hope to fly out in April to find a home to rent.
 
Hi! I used to live in Garland, Texas. And May 1st of this year will mark 10 years since I moved from Garland back to the Washington, DC area.

I live in northern VA (I travel through Vienna every day) and would be happy to help in any way I can. Yes, housing costs are significantly higher here than in the Dallas area. But there are options.

I can check some possibilities and, Lord willing, send you some leads. I can also spread the word in my church to see if others know of housing options for you.

I'll look into it this weekend and get back to you soon, hopefully. And I'll pray that the Lord will direct your steps. :pray2:
 
Thank you so much for your offer and thank you for taking the time to help.

This is a big step for us as I am sure you can imagine coming from Garland to DC. Especially considering my husbnad grew up in a small country town of 250 in NE.

We have been praying for a move like this we just didnt expect it so quickly. God is so good!!!

I see you also go to church with a dear friend of mine.
 
If you like I can send you a pm or an email with some housing possibilities, hopefully by Monday. Just let me know where to send it. Or if you prefer I can post them here.

Who is the friend that you had in mind?

It's a big move, but Virginia (except for the traffic) is a great place to live. I hope all will go well in this move for you and yours. Blessings!
 
Also could you tell me about family intergrated churchs in the area?

I do have a staning inviataion to PRC of N. VA but we want to have an idea of what all our options are.
 
Ah, Colleen! Yes, she and her family are good friends. :up:

I can tell you more about church options in the area. Of course, we would love for you to visit our church. But there are a variety of churches to consider around here.

I think you are set up to not receive pm's. If you let me know your email address (you could send me a pm, perhaps), I will send you the info.

Cheers!
 
When we first moved to NoVA we didn't have a place to live and camped in Herndon while we looked for a place to rent. We had five children at the time and camped during a vast amount of July rain. It was actually really fun. I love Northern Virginia and miss it a lot!

We were in Leesburg and paid $1850/month for a three BR, 2 BA house. That was low at the time and Leesburg is a delightful town to live in, so we were happy with it. Rents where we live now are a lot higher, which is just one more thing to miss about NoVA!

Mobile homes aren't allowed in several of the villages of NoVA (including Herndon, I believe) but there are row houses that are cheaper than stand-alone homes. There's a Trader Joe's in Herndon which I thought was great! We made the trip down there several times.

Do you buy natural foods, like via a co-op (it seems every other reformed lady does!)? There is a good co-op there if you want information on them. I bought my wheat and oats and dried fruits that way.

NoVA is green and beautiful. The dogwood trees are stunning. The people are friendly. We loved our church in Warrenton. I'm jealous! If we still lived there I'd offer you our home to stay while you looked around. I'm sorry we don't have anything to offer! :(

Enjoy your move. I hope it goes very smoothly!

jen
 
Yep, Shanna and I know eachother from another board. I got pretty excited to hear another person is moving to the area. Andrew, I knew you would have the info she was looking for.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top