Name in Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiu

Puritan Board Junior
How would my name (Claudiu Cătuna) be spelled in Koine Greek?

*ă is pronounced ə, as in "sofa."
 
Κλαυδιυς Κατύνας. The first word should have an accent circumflex over the au (it wouldn't display properly). I added the sigmas onto the endings to make them conform to standard gender expectations.
 
Actually, I think the accent should go on the last syllable of the first name as in Theseus (θεσεύς) and Orpheus (Ορφεύς).
 
How about my name, Charlie? Richard Tallach (ch as in loch).

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
 
Κλαυδιυς Κατύνας. The first word should have an accent circumflex over the au (it wouldn't display properly). I added the sigmas onto the endings to make them conform to standard gender expectations.

Wouldn't it be without the sigma's on the ends?
 
Claudiu, if you just want a straight transliteration, you can take off the sigmas. But it's very unusual for a Greek name to end in just an upsilon, so I added the sigma to make it standard. Also, usually only female names end in an alpha, so I added a sigma to your last name to make it gender-neutral.

Richard, Rich's transliteration is correct, but if you want to make it more Greeky, you can do it Ριχάρδης (or Ριχάρδος) Ταλλάχος.

For example, I go by Χαρλῆς ̓Ιωάννου, which translates to "Charles, [son] of John."
 
Claudiu, if you just want a straight transliteration, you can take off the sigmas. But it's very unusual for a Greek name to end in just an upsilon, so I added the sigma to make it standard. Also, usually only female names end in an alpha, so I added a sigma to your last name to make it gender-neutral.

Richard, Rich's transliteration is correct, but if you want to make it more Greeky, you can do it Ριχάρδης (or Ριχάρδος) Ταλλάχος.

For example, I go by Χαρλῆς ̓Ιωάννου, which translates to "Charles, [son] of John."

:up:
 
All I see in this conversation are squiggles. :scratch:

You'd be surprised how quick you could learn to read Greek. You may not be able to understand what you're reading but it's a phonetic alphabet like English. I was shocked at how easy it was when I first picked it up. The letters make the sounds as you would sound them out in English so, once you learn the alphabet it is really easy to sound out the words. Even the diphthongs work like English (i.e. ei sounds like reign or oi sounds like oil). I used to think that Greek was going to be really hard to pick up but it's actually incredibly easy. You just need to devote some time to it.
 
When I was teaching school I used to teach my students some basics of biblical Greek. I called it "fun Greek." They loved learning to write their names using transliteration!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top