Need Commentary on Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Just finished Samuel and kings using Ralph Davis's excellent commentaries. Now I'm into 1st Chronicles chapter 13 and using three different commentaries, neither of which are satisfying to me. Davis spoiled me. I'm looking for suggestions of what you think the best commentary or two is for 1st and 2nd Chronicles.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am enjoying the Tyndale Old Testament Series, commentary on Chronicles bye Martin J. Selman

Last edited:
Dillard's commentary in the Word Biblical Commentary series is supposed to be exceptionally good. It's either on Chronicles or Kings.

Two favorites (on the more evangelical side of things):

Richard L. Pratt, 1& 2 Chronicles, A Mentor Commentary (Mentor, 1998).
J.G. McConville, I & II Chronicles, The Daily Study Bible Series (The Westminster Press, 1984).

Dillard is outstanding! But inexplicably, his volume only covers 2 Chronicles.

It is a bit strange, although it seems to be the way the WBC series chose to handle the different "1 & 2" books of the Bible. Separate commentators write for the books of Samuel and Kings as well. Psalms is also broken up into 3 separate volumes with 3 separate writers. Even more inexplicably (at least I don't know the answer), Jeremiah has multiple contributers. Ezekiel has a single volume by Brownlee, but this was due to his early death and was then replaced by Allen's 2 volumes covering the complete book. I believe the same thing happened with the Gospel of Mark as well, although I don't know if Craig Evans plans to rewrite the commentary that Robert Guelich wrote before he died.

I would echo Andrew's recommendations. I would also add Eugene Merrill (though watch out for some dispensational tendencies!) and Andrew Hill. If you can stomach a moderately liberal approach, Williamson has some good literary insights.

Thanks, everyone for your help and suggestions. I just wanted to mention that I've chosen as my primary commentary on Chronicles the following.

1 and 2 Chronicles
A Mentor Commentary
Richard L. Pratt, Jr

Here's what I've chosen as a secondary.

Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries
1 Chronicles
An Introduction and Commentary
Martin J. Selman

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back