No more prophets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
All cults seem to always follow the Bible plus any revelation their "prophet" 100-200 years ago "received." (Whether it's Joseph Smith or Ellen White or whoever) It seems it would be helpful to just deal with cult people by giving a Biblical explanation showing there are no prophets of new revelation any more...and that their idea of "prophet" does not correspond to the gift of prophecy in Acts. What is the best way to Biblically show: (1) there are no longer prophets with new revelation, (2) these modern-day prophets are not a continuation of the gift of prophecy in Acts.

This will be very helpful, as I am currently witnessing with a friend to two Mormon Missionaries on Campus.

It has been the consistent testimony of the Church that the revelatory charismata ceased at the close of the Apostolic age, and that the canon of Revealed Truth was then complete.

It has been the consistent testimony of the Church that the revelatory charismata ceased at the close of the Apostolic age, and that the canon of Revealed Truth was then complete.

That has been my response to most people. One finds hardly any mention of the charismatic gifts after the Apostolic era until the modern day. However, this does not work with Mormons who believe in the Great Apostasy.

Challenge the Mormon to found his assertions on some epistemological basis more sure than the "burning in his bosom".

Challenge the Mormon to found his assertions on some epistemological basis more sure than the "burning in his bosom".

Aye. And therein lies the problem. They continue to insist on a "personal testimony" that the book of Mormon is true. However, we're making good ground, I think, in exposing that we are talking about two different gospels and that the gospel of sovereign grace is the only Biblical option and better than their so called gospel. I would really appreciate everyone's prayers for our on-going discussion and their salvation.

Zach, ask him which one of you is right if you have a "Burning in your bosom" that Mormonism is a cult. Because then it's just your experience against his, and he has to fall back on something else besides his feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back