OK, JUST got my new Allan Bible.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not trying to call anyone a liar by any means and I do appreciate quality. That being said, my dad's Bible (which was just some common 20 dollar Bible) has lasted for nearly 30 years. The reason is not necessarily quality, but rather how it was handled. I on the other hand runs through Bibles frequently because of the wear and tear that happens while in military training. It is not uncommon to see duct tape Bibles among soldiers.

So it isn't that a Bible can't last a lifetime, just not under my circumstances.

Boliver, your bibles wear out so much because you read them so much kind sir. You are too godly for us. :book2::book2::book2::book2::cool:

Seriously though, my first thought was that I would never spend that much on a bible either. Over a $100?!! Come on, a person could make better use of their money than that! Then I stopped and thought about all the things that I have spent over $130 on in my lifetime....I don't want to tell you all because some of it is downright embarrassing! :eek: The point is, everybody has different passions, hobbies, and loves in life. What one person might choose to invest their own $$ in may not be what I would choose, but I doubt they would spend their money on many things I spend mine on. :moneywings:

P.S. after looking at some of those pics, I am beginning to think I might want one of those bibles :D

P.P.S I am also feeling like Max with the abundance of smileys in my post. I am kinda liking them too!

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I on the other hand enjoy getting a good workout carrying my ESV Study Bible. Plus its provides good cover against small arms fire. Although the handle on my Bible cover is already ripping apart from the weight of the Bible. Poor cover only lasted a year. :)

Andrew, I am not saying that buying one is sinful or anything like that. If someone wants to buy one, that is perfectly cool.

I am the farthest from the most godly. Mine just go through obstacle courses, dirt, mud, rain, and overall wear and tear. A former Ranger is working on making a waterproof indestructible NT. That I could go for.

I love my Allan KJV Longprimer. It's a great bible. I'm happy you got an Allan. I've had my Longprimer for about 3 1/2 months now and it's been great.

Boliver,

I had always been a hardback or bonded leather man until the PB. My thought was that you had to be nuts to pay that kind of money for a Bbile. But, to be honest, most of the Bibles on the market are so poorly made these days that they really do not hold up well. An Allan is truly a work of art and an investment in quality.

I have the Allan Longprimer KJV and an Allan/Oxford Blackface BR20 KJV. They are AMAZING!

But, the Crossway premium leather ESV thinline and premium leather ESV SB are also quite amazing as is the signature line Nelson NKJV.

On balance, the Nelson signature line and the Crossway premium leather Bibles are quality bindings that are worth having. I like the leather cover/leather lining effect with the high end Crossways.

But, in my opinion, there is NOTHING commercially available like a R.L. Allan Bible. If you use a KJV or ESV, you cannot beat Allan Bibles. If you want a NKJV (other than a small format Pitt Minion), get a Nelson signature. An ESV SB would require a Crossway binding. But, for anything else, don't waste your money, buy an Allan.

The ESV Reader's edition looks like the best Bible I have ever seen.

But . . . $205??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my R L Allan KJV Oxford Reference Ruby Edition Bible. It's the finest Bible I've ever seen in my life, and it was at a very reasonable price. EvangelicalBible.com has had it on sale for some time now, at $89.75. I haven't looked, but surely they put their other Bibles on sale too.

OK the Readers is 2 column BUT a larger Print! It is like an ESV "Long Primer"....

Ooops! I have the Personal Reference Edition. I think this is the last Bible I will ever buy. The binding is beautiful. The single column is like reading a book. The leather is going to keep well. All in all I'm very happy with this Bible. We spoke via PM and I did buy the Cambridge PittMinion and that was exactly the size I wanted. This is a bit "meatier" in my hand but it has been my Bible of choice since I received it. My wife's happy as well because she's tried to test my resolve by showing me other Bibles but they can't hold a candle to the Allan PRE.

Andrew, I am not saying that buying one is sinful or anything like that. If someone wants to buy one, that is perfectly cool.

I am the farthest from the most godly. Mine just go through obstacle courses, dirt, mud, rain, and overall wear and tear. A former Ranger is working on making a waterproof indestructible NT. That I could go for.

Ziploc works well.

yeah, but ziploc still rips. It is not fool proof.

Yes but it is Ranger, SEAL, ForceRecon, SpecialForces, PJ proof.

I take it you haven't had to waterproof your gear before some water event. Go for the thicker "freezer" ziplocs and double-bag it. You should be fine. Heck at $20 a pop who really cares, right?

A man's life does not consist in whether he has a beautiful Allan ESV Bible or a mangy, tattered, dog-eared paperback ESV! And remember not to covet your neighbour's Allan Bible but be delighted that he is enjoying this wonderful gift from God!

Yes, I know about waterproofing. I was stationed at Ranger Training Battalion. So I know what I am saying when I said ziploc is not fool proof. They still tear after a while.

That is why I buy the small 20 buck ones. I couldn't imagine buying something over a hundred and having it ruined after a few months.

OK!!! Got an E from Nick Grey, the "Master" lol of Allan and Son Bibles, For those who have asked me about the Oxford Longprimer King James. It will be upgraded, better paper, some old world "touches" you would do well (If interested) , to look at this ESV the cover and some other things will be very like it (other than this being a King Jimmy of course). A final note. I am TRULY SAD that I cannot even do a REVIEW without some people fighting! What is that! I am reviewing a Bible for Pete's sake!!!!! It is NOT an issue I felt needed moderation! You know who you are...get a grip...get it fast. Most members enjoy a simple Bible or book review and GASP can read one without rancor. Attacks will be reported...this is sad! have NEVER had to add that in a REVIEW!!!

OK, on behalf of the covetous curs among the unwashed hoi polloi on the PB, I officially petition the Marvelous Max Philanthropic Bible Lovers Foundation for a grant. Could you just pick up some of them thar Allan Bibles (the ESV reader's edition sounds just about right) for distribution to deserving lovers of fine Bibles on the PB. I interpret "deserving" as those of us who actually read your posts and interact (hint . . . hint).
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, I'm delighted that you like the new Allan Bible. Could you give dimensions? Is it a single column format? References?
Dennis my Dear and Good Friend! I was about to send this one to you....but why musy ya' hurt me so....I am a crying so hard I cannot do a label to ship! (SOB!););););)

Someone asked me about the font size on the ESV Readers Bible and the font in the ESV Study Bible so I will just post it if anyone else is curious. The Allan Reader's Edition has a Font size of 10.3. The ESV Study Bible (in text) run at 9.5. Hope this is helpful for those wondering about readability. Grace and Peace.

Ziploc works well.
I've seen one of the completely waterproof New Testaments in our local Christian bookstore. They are very cool--what a great idea--and they're especially geared to hunters.

Wow. Incredible what God just did. I read this post yesterday and finished with a sorrow. I've had my eye on the Allan readers edition but given my financial situation had resigned myself that it just wasn't in the cards. Reading this thread just made the disappointment that much more. Then, at 11:00 last night I got an e-mail from Amazon that someone had just purchased the 1950 KJV Dickson Analytical Study Bible I had listed for sale. I had overpriced the Dickson and had given up on it ever selling for $500. I only put it up for sale because my wife had banned me from buying any more nice Bibles unless I sold one from my collectrion. Well, it sold and I can now get the Allan Readers edition I've been drooling over.
The only issue now is what color to get. I like the dark brown the best but the three mulicolored ribbons that come that color ruin it in my opinion. So it's between black or tan. Hummm. I'm leaning toward black but will have to think it over.
Thank you God. You always do such wonderful things for such a sinner like me. I am so humbled.

Wow. Incredible what God just did. I read this post yesterday and finished with a sorrow. I've had my eye on the Allan readers edition but given my financial situation had resigned myself that it just wasn't in the cards. Reading this thread just made the disappointment that much more. Then, at 11:00 last night I got an e-mail from Amazon that someone had just purchased the 1950 KJV Dickson Analytical Study Bible I had listed for sale. I had overpriced the Dickson and had given up on it ever selling for $500. I only put it up for sale because my wife had banned me from buying any more nice Bibles unless I sold one from my collectrion. Well, it sold and I can now get the Allan Readers edition I've been drooling over.
The only issue now is what color to get. I like the dark brown the best but the three mulicolored ribbons that come that color ruin it in my opinion. So it's between black or tan. Hummm. I'm leaning toward black but will have to think it over.
Thank you God. You always do such wonderful things for such a sinner like me. I am so humbled.
AWSOME!!!! Jehovah-Jirah Indeed!:cool::cool::cool:

Tan would be a nice option if you have a lot of black ones, just to mix it up a bit but you can never go wrong with black.
Take a look at their photos on picasa (Picasa Web Albums - evangelicalbible.com)

Also, which one were you specifically looking at getting. There are a couple ESV's available at Allan ESV : EvangelicalBible.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back