Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
Do you want to learn to read God’s Word in one of the original languages of Scripture?

Never has it been easier to start on your own. These new webpages of Hebrew and Greek grammars at ReformedBooksOnline will readily start you on your way.

The pages are also very useful for intermediate and advanced learners. If you are a pastor and would like a refresher, or can benefit by such in your sermon preparation, or if you are a writer or scholar and need to refer to reference grammars, the intermediate and advanced grammars on the webpages will be invaluable. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in one, try another, or all of them.

May these resources be a blessing to you; remember that they are here, and share them with friends if they might use them.

“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

2 Tim. 2:15​

Thank you for this, truly. I was just about to ask where to begin learning Greek without a large amount of time to dedicate to school.

Thank you for this, truly. I was just about to ask where to begin learning Greek without a large amount of time to dedicate to school.
You are very welcome brother!

I started learning Greek on my own with the Mounce grammar on the webpage, though there is more than one way to cut up a chicken, and to learn Greek.

I didn't put it on the webpage, but I would also recommend learning Greek through DuoLingo.com. Its fun, very helpful and a bit addictive. Its modern Greek oriented around travel and daily life, but there is plenty of overlap and it builds interest in the language like no other. That is, it is of itself stimulating, unlike most books sitting on one's desk.

Blessings friend.

Not to take anything away from the resources listed; but another awesome place to learn Biblical Greek & Hebrew is Biblingo.
They are like the Rosetta Stone for Biblical languages. I think it is around $18 per month per language.

Since we are listing resources, lol; here are a couple other Original Language courses I have found online:

Biblical Hebrew I (31 Hrs) Eternity Bible College (v)

Biblical Hebrew II (29 Hrs) Eternity Bible College (v)

Hebrew Grammar I (29 Hrs) The Masters Seminary (v)

Hebrew Grammar II (31 Hrs) The Masters Seminary (v)

Hebrew Exegesis I (12 Hrs) The Masters Seminary (v)

Hebrew Exegesis II (16 Hrs) The Masters Seminary (v)

Greek I (35 Hrs) Eternity Bible College (v)

Greek II (44 Hrs) Eternity Bible College (v)

Greek I (25 Hrs) Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (v)

Greek II (29 Hrs) Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (v)

Greek Exegesis I (25 Hrs) The Masters Seminary (v)

Greek Exegesis II (22 Hrs) The Masters Seminary (v)

Last edited:
Also Mr. Fentiman, I want to thank you on behalf of Project Puritas and Puritan Search. Your hard work in listing the Scottish Covenanters was pivotal in allowing us to pinpoint them for our Scottish Puritan/Covenanter section in the software. It was a relief going to your website and seeing the leg-work already done; it saved us a lot of time. Again, thank you.

Also Mr. Fentiman, I want to thank you on behalf of Project Puritas and Puritan Search. Your hard work in listing the Scottish Covenanters was pivotal in allowing us to pinpoint them for our Scottish Puritan/Covenanter section in the software. It was a relief going to your website and seeing the leg-work already done; it saved us a lot of time. Again, thank you.
David, you are most welcome. I am very glad for it.

Just so you know, when I made that list of Scottish covenanters, it was before EEBO-TCP phase II came available publicly. I believe I need to go back and augment the list more with those resources.

All,

I am very welcoming of the courses persons are listing above, and am glad such helpful resources are available for beginning to learn the Biblical langauges.

My main motivation in making the two webpage collections I did of grammars, was, at least for myself, not so much to learn the languages (I have had plenty of them), but to make a storehouse of intermediate and advanced grammars for reference, for referring to for research purposes. And for that purpose, I don't believe these webpages will be superseded :D

David, you are most welcome. I am very glad for it.

Just so you know, when I made that list of Scottish covenanters, it was before EEBO-TCP phase II came available publicly. I believe I need to go back and augment the list more with those resources.
If you check out the Zotero resource, this should make it very easy for you to do so, as they are neatly organized under Scottish Puritans/Covenanters with direct links to EEBO for all that had works there. I went through your entire list too. Though I may have missed some, I am pretty confident that I got all that were there.

Here is the complete list of those that have works in EEBO, as I didnt reorganize everything in the Public Library, from the main collection I had to the specific category (as I did in my own Zotero.) All of these guys are in the Public library, but some are in the General Puritans, while others are under the Scottish Puritans/Covenanter heading.

sc1.jpg
sc2.jpg
sc3.jpg

Last edited:
Not to take anything away from the resources listed; but another awesome place to learn Biblical Greek & Hebrew is Biblingo.
They are like the Rosetta Stone for Biblical languages. I think it is around $18 per month per language.
Have you used it? Would you recommend it to people who are new to the biblical languages?

Have you used it? Would you recommend it to people who are new to the biblical languages?
I havent used it outside the two-week free trial. The reason I didnt keep using it was because I didnt have the time to commit. I would recommend it to people who are new to Biblical languages, and this is the reason; they have taken the Biblical languages and have used the Rosetta Stone methodology. So it isnt just memorizing Greek and Hebrew flash, or getting the grammar rules down (though they include that too,) but it is retraining your mind to speak Koine and Biblical Hebrew as one would have in the times they were used. They do this by associating words with pictures; etc. They have a no obligation 10 or 14 day trial. Give it a shot, and if you dont like it, there is no loss. But I will say it is the only software of its kind that I know of specifically for the Biblical languages.

I just signed up for the 10 day trial a few days ago, and it is amazing!

Though now it is $40 a month for both languages to continue with. Here's a blurb I wrote on my website about Biblingo:

This site’s method appears to be based on Duolingo, but is for the Biblical languages: Hebrew and Greek. It is very high-quality, in some ways more than DuoLingo, and seeks to teach through using the language.​
The site combines video tutorials, with visual learning, reading, hearing and speaking the language, with active sentence construction and other methods, which multi-faceted integration deeply engrains the material into you for quick acquisition and lasting retention. And it is a bit fun and easy to get hooked, whether for adults or kids.​
It provides instruction for all levels of Hebrew learning, from beginner to expert. One can graphically see and track their consistency of usage, hours of learning, etc. One can easily progress more quickly using this self-paced program than in a classroom setting.​
There is a ten day free trial with no credit card. As of 2023 it is $40 a month. It is worth the one-time investment in your life if you are able to afford it. Cut out your other bills and devote yourself to God’s Word. It is an investment you will not regret.​
While the site teaches advanced content, it does not have anything like this webpage of intermediate and advanced grammars for reference and retrieval of techinical information.​
I think Biblingo is way better than any other method for learning the languages, and becoming fluent in them, which is hard to do otherwise.

I just signed up for the 10 day trial a few days ago, and it is amazing!

Though now it is $40 a month for both languages to continue with. Here's a blurb I wrote on my website about Biblingo:

This site’s method appears to be based on Duolingo, but is for the Biblical languages: Hebrew and Greek. It is very high-quality, in some ways more than DuoLingo, and seeks to teach through using the language.​
The site combines video tutorials, with visual learning, reading, hearing and speaking the language, with active sentence construction and other methods, which multi-faceted integration deeply engrains the material into you for quick acquisition and lasting retention. And it is a bit fun and easy to get hooked, whether for adults or kids.​
It provides instruction for all levels of Hebrew learning, from beginner to expert. One can graphically see and track their consistency of usage, hours of learning, etc. One can easily progress more quickly using this self-paced program than in a classroom setting.​
There is a ten day free trial with no credit card. As of 2023 it is $40 a month. It is worth the one-time investment in your life if you are able to afford it. Cut out your other bills and devote yourself to God’s Word. It is an investment you will not regret.​
While the site teaches advanced content, it does not have anything like this webpage of intermediate and advanced grammars for reference and retrieval of techinical information.​
I think Biblingo is way better than any other method for learning the languages, and becoming fluent in them, which is hard to do otherwise.
Great review, but also dont forget to mention that the languages can be broken up so you only study "either" Greek or Hebrew, instead of both, at about $18-$24 per month instead of the $40 for both. Realistically, most people are only going to study a single language at a time instead of both.

biblingo.jpg

Great review, but also dont forget to mention that the languages can be broken up so you only study "either" Greek or Hebrew, instead of both, at about $18-$24 per month instead of the $40 for both. Realistically, most people are only going to study a single language at a time instead of both.

View attachment 10132
Oh great, thanks Dave. I had only seen the $40 a month so far. But this looks a lot better and more affordable. I will make the changes you suggested.

I finally pulled the trigger on Biblingo after looking at this thread. I've really enjoyed it so far and have found it helpful. I'll be taking my Greek exam for licensure here in a few months. We'll see how well it prepares me for it!

I finally pulled the trigger on Biblingo after looking at this thread. I've really enjoyed it so far and have found it helpful. I'll be taking my Greek exam for licensure here in a few months. We'll see how well it prepares me for it!
Please do give feedback over time; I'm also interested.

I glanced at Biblingo in the trial... 18 a month is quite a lot. It has some overlap with some things Logos can offer you (if you have it). But probably very useful for someone with no resources at all wanting to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back