Open Office???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only Open Office had something comparable to Outlook! As I see it, that's its only flaw.

Outlook? Ewww - go to gmail!

Ya'll should also look at docs.google.com - they now have offline capabilities!

Agreed on gmail, but I just don't see google docs replacing a real word processor. Maybe it's just me, but I can't produce any custom formatting at all. Block quotes, footnotes, background line number--none of that stuff works well. It only works with preestablished settings if at all. If I try to import a document with formatting (even when it gives the option for importing a Word doc), it strips everything that can't be supported by HTML codes.

In other words, it's useless for court pleadings and nearly useless for research papers.

Google docs is fine for basic docs, but so is a run of the mill text application(like wordpad).

Again, maybe I'm missing something. . . .

We've used it for years.

In fact, Dmitry's school (a charter school) uses it for their office computing class.

I don't have it on my laptop here, though, because it takes up a fair amount of memory. But it's a super, super program.

Does anyone have any experience using Open Office? I love the idea that it is free and I hate the hegemony of Gates and Jobs. It looks like it reads and saves in Office format. What are the pros and cons?

openoffice_org-3_0-calendar-thumb.jpg

Here is what the new Open Office 3.0 "Outlook" module looks like.

New Personal Information Manager
* Supports local and server-based calendars
* Task management
* Month, week, day view
* Multiple calendars support
* Free/busy management
* Connector to Sun Java System Calendar Server (WCAP, iCal, WebDAV, CalDAV, and Google Calendar

Wow DMcFadden! That picture looks wholly other and unknowable. I'm glad I'm a Chef. Gimmie some butter and garlic, and I'll open your office. :p

P.S. When I went to college for computers, we used punch cards. Much Better! :lol:

Does Open Office have something like MS Outlook?

3.0 does and should be out in a short time.

Mozilla Thunderbird and Lightning aren't extensions or modules. They are considered complementary tools and both have been available for some time now.

I have been running version 3.0 for 4 months and am very impressed by it, but I have been using openoffice for around five years now. It is one of the better opensource projects out there.

for those that are interested in opensource and what types of programs are available, here is a great website to visit:

SourceForge.net: Open Source Software

Lots of great stuff there.
enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back