open theism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Puritan Board Freshman
a good friend and I recently had a debate/discussion about open theism. He is exploring the idea that God doesn't know the future...just the many options that exist in the future. I told him that God would not be God unless He knows and is in control of every aspect of the future.

It just dawned on me, that deep down, I have been an open theist for my entire Christian life. I have taken upon the resposibility to "save" others. If only I prayed harder, shared the Gospel more vigorously, then some of my family members would have embraced Christ. It is the belief that my prayers will change the future, instead of ushering in God's will. I still don't have a total grasp on it all, but man o man, is it liberating to let go of the idea that I'm responsible for someone going to hell because I didn't witness to them enough. Glory be to God.

We're certainly not responsible for anyone's going to hell as only the Sprit's sovereign, effectual regeneration can save them. At the same time, God does save people with the Gospel through means, and prayer may certainly be one of those means.

**** I have taken upon the resposibility to "save" others. If only I prayed harder, shared the Gospel more vigorously, then some of my family members would have embraced Christ.****

Nothing to do with your efforts.It is all pure ,golden,overflowing grace from the throne of God.

andreas.:candle:

Absolutely...but we're not responsible for their conversion. There is an amazing freedom that comes with the acceptance that we're not responsible for others' salvation. It makes the process of sharing and praying easier(?) for lack of a better word. I've known on an intellectual level that I can't save anyone, but for some reason, the conversation I had with my buddy gave me a rush to insight that I guess is hard to put in words.

Thank God

that He is in control!

Thank God

He allows me to be a part of his plan, his will, through prayer and actions.

I'm with ya' Batman!

TDRevolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back