Thoughts on Open Theism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill The Baptist

Puritan Board Graduate
If any of you have ever read anything by Gregory Boyd, you will know that he is a smart guy with some heretical ideas. One of those ideas is open theism, and while I think we can all agree that open theism is a false doctrine, Boyd does make an interesting point. He says that even though most Christians say that they don't believe in open theism, our actions say otherwise. For example, why do we feel the need to constantly ask God for things in prayer if everything is already settled and God doesn't change His mind? I am not trying to argue against prayer, clearly the bible commands it, but maybe we should rethink the way we pray. Just a thought.

Is it possible that our prayer is the means by which God works? Part of the trouble is that we're trying to reconcile the objective facts of our Christian walk with the subjective experience of it.

Sometimes the Holy Spirit moves us to pray for something that God intends to grant, in order to display his glory in answering the prayer of faith.

Let my readers observe that Paul, to cut off all handle for murmuring and detraction, attributes supreme sovereignty to the wrath and power of God; for it were unjust that those profound judgments, which transcend all our powers of discernment, should be subjected to our calculation. It is frivolous in our opponents to reply, that God does not altogether reject those whom in levity he tolerates, but remains in suspense with regard to them, if per adventure they may repent; as if Paul were representing God as patiently waiting for the conversion of those whom he describes as fitted for destruction. [Calvin 3.23.1]

Ahh the openness of God. Thoses little serpents that I cannot stand to talk about Scripture with. I like what Calvin says here and how he uses Roman's 9:22 to make clear that God is not unaware of the future state of His creatures. Here the potter is discribed as building two types of pottery one for destruction and wrath and the other for mercy and grace. Therefore where is the open theist's ground's for "the openness of God" where God waits for men to act before He Himself acts! IT'S THE OTHER WAY BUDDY!

First of all Open Theism is a damnable heresy. It denys God as he is.

God is utterly sovereign in everything even our wills. We pray because God has predestined certain things to be accomplished by means of answered prayer. Also we pray because we want to worship God. Prayer is a principle form of worship.

We always get everything we ask for that is in accordance with God's will. Prayer is a great time of adoration towards God and fellowship with him. Jesus is recorded as going off to pray alone many times.

There is an acronym about prayer called ACTS

When we pray Christian prayer we cover all of these points.

A - Adoration
C- Confession
T- Thanksgiving
S- Supplication

If any of you have ever read anything by Gregory Boyd, you will know that he is a smart guy with some heretical ideas. One of those ideas is open theism, and while I think we can all agree that open theism is a false doctrine, Boyd does make an interesting point. He says that even though most Christians say that they don't believe in open theism, our actions say otherwise. For example, why do we feel the need to constantly ask God for things in prayer if everything is already settled and God doesn't change His mind? I am not trying to argue against prayer, clearly the bible commands it, but maybe we should rethink the way we pray. Just a thought.

The omniscience of God has made provision for the naivete of God's people with respect to things prayed for. That is the point of Romans 8:26, 27. As John Murray comments, "As God searches the heart of the children of God he finds unuttered and unutterable groanings. Though they are thus inarticulate, there is a meaning and intent that cannot escape the omniscient eye of God -- they are wholly intelligible to him. And, furthermore, they are found to be in accordance with his will. They are consonant with his will because, though surpassing our understanding and utterance, they are indited by the holy Spirit and are the ways in which his intercessions come to expression in our consciousness. Since they are the intercessions of the Holy Spirit, they always meet with the understanding and approval of God." Romans, NICNT, 1:313.

Open theism leaves the believer without any encouragement with respect to prayer by denying the omniscience upon which the believing soul has come to rest his hope for the future.

Get yourself's John Frame's works for Logos cheap from wtsbooks.com There are books, articles, etc... that deal with the subject in debth and interact with Boyd.

you might wana pick up on amazon John Frame's work on this topic!

I'm too poor, I'm a seminary student.:violin:

I'm too poor, I'm a seminary student.
Bill.

The link I posted is a full length book that can be purchased in paper form and should be more than adequate for you. It is free to download, discounting the time it takes you to download it. ;)

AMR

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

For example, why do we feel the need to constantly ask God for things in prayer if everything is already settled and God doesn't change His mind? I am not trying to argue against prayer, clearly the bible commands it, but maybe we should rethink the way we pray. Just a thought.
We pray for many reasons, one of which is that prayer is one of the ordained means by which God accomplishes His ends. That alone should be reason enough to pray.

In what way do you think we should be re-thinking the way we pray? Every single open theist I know is a Calvinist on his knees, by the way. ;)

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back