• :down:

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • no opinion/do not know

Votes: 30 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthias;616683.[/QUOTE said:
No need?? God has seen fit to Bless us with the ability to hear from not only our own local preachers, but great and godly preachers from all over the world living and dead through the internet. I am surprised that anyone would feel they have no need or desire to take advantage of such an amazing gift! I truly feel you are missing out...

Jeff,

The Lord has used many preachers through internet at different times in my life according to His providence and for that I am grateful. It’s just that at present time He has placed me in a church where He still gives His blessed gospel. Oh how I hope that He will press His precious word into my heart that I may be changed thereby. Sorry I did not explain better.

I would hope he does not preach to a congregation week after week the way he does in all of his videos on YouTube (where it seems address people like they are all unregenerate). If so, I imagine his sheep are constantly living in doubt and despair.

Really?

I love the preaching against sin because it awakens me to my constant need of God and Christ. I am reminded that I am NOTHING and God is everything. I am awakened to flee the world by delving into the Word so that I may honor the god that saved me from my own horrid wickedness. I am reminded that when I witness I witness to dead people and unless God awakens them I should expect a hostile reaction and to not expect any "method" to do the job but instead try to express mans guilt to them and how they may then be redeemed and leave the rest to God.

I love hard, toe tramping preaching because I need it, I believe you need it, I believe we ALL need it and the reason many are turned off by it is because they do not want to remember what they we're and who deserves all the glory of every waking moment. That they don't want to always, daily, hourly, know that they are low and only God is high, to be reminded that they deserve NOTHING and drawing breath hour by hour is a blessing from God.

Oh the despair I would be in if not for Christ, and thank God for preaching like Paul Washers that frequently reminds me of it, and not of the wonderful things God has in store for me, how awesome Heaven is going to be, or what my job in Heaven might be, etc. etc. All I need to know to know that God loves me and assures me of my salvation is to know and remember what I once was, and what I would be if not for Jesus Christ. There is my motivation, NOT for despair, but for a passion and desire to fall on my knees before a Holy God that would save a wretch like me and seek to do His will.

I love the confessions as well, but they have never caused me to feel this way.

Oh wait, are you saying that calling people names is better than reasoning with them? Were both calvinist so we both agree that our methods aren't what causes a person to change it's God. However, Id prefer an intellectual discussion or debate over ad hominims any day.

How people arrive at this sort of conclusion from Scriptures is unsettling. They are basically putting themselves above the Lord, the Apostle Paul, and the man in their own signature all in the name of being "intellectual".

Also, I think the abstract preaching that chapin references in a later point is exactly why there is no power in most preaching. A good study of Acts shows that the Gospel is always applied and not treated in abstract "intellectual" categories. There is very little weight in most preaching, b/c it is abstract & treated like a systematic theology. Mr. Washer comes along and says, "you must repent..." and we say he is attacking men and isn't intellectual enough for our refined tastes & that we are too intellectual for that.

I know little to nothing of Mr Washer, but for many it just doesn't matter if you come eating and drinking or fasting.

Actually, I did hear a quote from Mr Washer that I believes best sums this up - "The worst thing that could ever happen to a preacher is that he becomes civilized. It's WORTHLESS! Worthless! One thing I noticed about Leonard Ravenhill - and I'd take 1 Leonard Ravenhill over 11 dead Calvinists - was that he was dangerous. He was dangerous."

Last edited:
put Paul against most of the silly "your best life now" and modern decisionism evangelical preachers wouldn't everyone choose Paul every other day?

stop pitting him against the ideal and stop nip picking on single sentences he says...
here is a man faithfully following the Lord and preaching the gospel wherever he can :(

God used this man to save my life. If it wasn't for his style of preaching, I wouldn't have been shocked into life. Praise God for men like him.

EDIT: I'm not saying that Washer saved me and I'm not saying that his preaching style saved me. I hope whoever reads this post understands what I'm saying here. :)

God used this man to save my life. If it wasn't for his style of preaching, I wouldn't have been shocked into life. Praise God for men like him.

EDIT: I'm not saying that Washer saved me and I'm not saying that his preaching style saved me. I hope whoever reads this post understands what I'm saying here. :)

Absolutely. I think we've all heard preachers who have had that effect on us.

-----Added 5/14/2009 at 05:31:28 EST-----

Also, I think the abstract preaching that chapin references in a later point is exactly why there is no power in most preaching. A good study of Acts shows that the Gospel is always applied and not treated in abstract "intellectual" categories. There is very little weight in most preaching, b/c it is abstract & treated like a systematic theology. Mr. Washer comes along and says, "you must repent..." and we say he is attacking men and isn't intellectual enough for our refined tastes & that we are too intellectual for that.

:applause: I like what Pastor John Weaver says - theology that isn't applied is useless.

I like most of what Paul has to say but he does get a little too emotional (I'm sure this is true emotion), but it make me feel uncomfortable for him....which I'm sure is just my problem. I think a balance in emotion during any worship service should be sought. I'm more on the ridge side so....

He's an anointed preacher. I first heard him when beginning to turn from my Arminian ways (watched on youtube). The way he presented the gospel clicked with me. I thought, "that is what I want to hear; that is what I've been searching for." Unfortunately, I was in churches that didn't preach that way, yet the culture of the churches was that everything was alright, "we're all Christians," etc. I had to step back and wonder if it was me who was really off base... Gladly the Lord was gracious enough to open my eyes to many things, and it's been a great journey!

I loved his 2 hour sermon on "The 10 Indictments Against the Modern Church."

Ok..time for my :2cents:

I like PW's preaching.

I know that he doesn't get the notoriety for the more "calm" sermons that he does for the fiery ones that get passed around the 'net, but he does preach "straight" also.

I had a theory that has been proved out on this thread and this is it:

Paul Washer; love him or hate him...nobody is neutral :lol:

We are in luck over here, at the 14-15 of July we get to host Paul Washer at a school building, were he will talk to a small group the first day, about church-plant and things like that.
The second day we will invite as many people as possible to come hear him preach.

So now I would like to know...
What are your opinions about Paul Washer?
and maybe some comments on why.

So how did it go?

I love brother Paul. What's not to love? Passion, zeal for the lost. HEAVILY reformed (a five point Calvinist that also openly mocks "Left Behind" eschatology). Southern Baptist. Expositional.

Again, whats not to love? The people on here that talk about him pointing fingers...you do realize that EVERY prophet and evangelist of God in the bible did this, right?

I love brother Paul. What's not to love? Passion, zeal for the lost. HEAVILY reformed (a five point Calvinist that also openly mocks "Left Behind" eschatology). Southern Baptist. Expositional.

Again, whats not to love? The people on here that talk about him pointing fingers...you do realize that EVERY prophet and evangelist of God in the bible did this, right?

I wouldn't consider him "HEAVILY" Reformed especially considering the fact that he won't use the term Calvinist. He says prefers to be a called a five point Spurgeonist. Remember there is much more to being Reformed than being a five-pointer. :D

We are in luck over here, at the 14-15 of July we get to host Paul Washer at a school building, were he will talk to a small group the first day, about church-plant and things like that.
The second day we will invite as many people as possible to come hear him preach.

So now I would like to know...
What are your opinions about Paul Washer?
and maybe some comments on why.

So how did it go?

Interested to know too..

I wouldn't consider him "HEAVILY" Reformed especially considering the fact that he won't use the term Calvinist. He says prefers to be a called a five point Spurgeonist. Remember there is much more to being Reformed than being a five-pointer. :D

I understand that. But the doctrines of Grace are certainly the preeminent requirement. Washer is a five point, Covenant theologian. He has a reformed soteriology and a reformed eschatology. When speaking in terms of Baptists (of which I am one), you can't get much more reformed than that.

Baptists that DO get more reformed than that, are called "Presbyterians". :lol:

I understand that. But the doctrines of Grace are certainly the preeminent requirement. Washer is a five point, Covenant theologian. He has a reformed soteriology and a reformed eschatology. When speaking in terms of Baptists (of which I am one), you can't get much more reformed than that.

curious... Where have you seen or heard him say that he is a CT guy... and a reformed eschatology guy?

curious... Where have you seen or heard him say that he is a CT guy... and a reformed eschatology guy?

It was one of his sermons. He was mocking the "Left Behind" books, spoke of the unbiblical nature of some secret pre trib rapture, slammed dispensationalism in general.... I will see if I can find it.

It was one of his sermons. He was mocking the "Left Behind" books, spoke of the unbiblical nature of some secret pre trib rapture, slammed dispensationalism in general.... I will see if I can find it.

Yeah, I would love to reference it. I was curious as to where he stood on the issue. I've heard his "I'm a 5 points Spurgeonist" comment in his "10 Indictments Against the Modern Church"...

I heard a story from a friend that went to a conference Washer was speaking at... the friend said that a guy walked up and asked Washer what his stance is on the end times, his eschatology. Washer replied, as he shook the man's hand, "brother, I've barely wrapped my mind around the gospel." Interesting answer. ;)

Having some firm sources on if he is CT would be good. I haven't heard him say anything about whether the 10 Commandments are in effect or not; so, as far as I know, he may be NCT.

Washer is a talented speaker. Very forceful. If passion/emotion = unction/anointing then he has it. Like some of what he says but not how he says it - seems to be trying too hard, not natural. God is every man's judge.

Last edited:
It was Paul Washer whom God used to open my eyes to my sins. Through his obedience to the call of preaching the Gospel that I saw my state, by the grace of God Him opening my eyes.

Paul Washer is a good Southern Baptist preacher. I would encourage all to listen through his 1st John series, it really forced me to examine my life. God has used him to minister to me and my wife; we even based a Sunday School lesson on the outline from his 1st John series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back