The Cosmology of Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Junior
In 2nd Corinthians 12, Paul mentions being caught up to the "third heaven". I recently heard someone putting a rather bizarre twist on it, going off of the assumption that Paul was a student of Kaballah and twisted it - claiming Paul did not go to the fourth heaven because it is supposedly the heavenly temple which Paul's supposedly over-realised eschatology could not supposedly affirm.

So here is my question - what would Paul mean by the third heaven, would he view it as the third of three or third of seven, what are the four other ones if it is a seven-tiered system, and how do we know this to be true?
 
I always took it as what we normally call heaven.

First heaven - the sky
Second heaven - the heavenly bodies (stars, planets, moons) beyond the first heaven
Third heaven - the place where Jesus is beyond the second heaven
 
What Chuck said. Heaven can also mean "sky," and Paul is simply making sure to avoid that misinterpretation.
 
What Chuck said. Heaven can also mean "sky," and Paul is simply making sure to avoid that misinterpretation.
I agree with @chuckd that the sky and what we call 'space' are meant as 'lower tier' heavens, but I've also heard the interpretation that sky and space together are the 1st heaven. The 2nd would be where angels and demons dwell. The 3rd then where Christ is. Is there any merit to this interpretation?
 
In 2nd Corinthians 12, Paul mentions being caught up to the "third heaven". I recently heard someone putting a rather bizarre twist on it, going off of the assumption that Paul was a student of Kaballah and twisted it - claiming Paul did not go to the fourth heaven because it is supposedly the heavenly temple which Paul's supposedly over-realised eschatology could not supposedly affirm.

So here is my question - what would Paul mean by the third heaven, would he view it as the third of three or third of seven, what are the four other ones if it is a seven-tiered system, and how do we know this to be true?
3 heavens in bible, Atmosphere, Outer Space, heaven proper Paul went into heaven proper
 
Last edited:
I agree with @chuckd that the sky and what we call 'space' are meant as 'lower tier' heavens, but I've also heard the interpretation that sky and space together are the 1st heaven. The 2nd would be where angels and demons dwell. The 3rd then where Christ is. Is there any merit to this interpretation?

That is a modern fusion that comes out of Charismatic spiritual warfare.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top